GM Accessory Illuminated Front Bowtie Install

8 hours ago, Juschr1s said:

I spent like 2 hours trying to get the harness out the light socket. It will not come out. Any suggestions. 

Did you pull back on and "unclick" the red locking tab?  You have to do that and then you can depress the tab on the light harness to unplug it.

1 hour ago, lapoolboy said:

It comes on any time the headlights are on.

When I was driving to work this morning, my headlights were on, but the bowtie wasn't (at least not that I could see reflected in vehicles in front of me). If I turn the automatic light control off and flip it over to DRLs or Headlights, it does come on. Unfortunately, I can't see the front of my truck while driving so I have to rely on reflections off other vehicles, but I figured it would at least be bright enough to see in a reflection.

1 minute ago, Jason Milam said:

When I was driving to work this morning, my headlights were on, but the bowtie wasn't (at least not that I could see reflected in vehicles in front of me). If I turn the automatic light control off and flip it over to DRLs or Headlights, it does come on. Unfortunately, I can't see the front of my truck while driving so I have to rely on reflections off other vehicles, but I figured it would at least be bright enough to see in a reflection.

Unfortunately, it is not bright enough to see in reflections of other vehicles in front of you.  You can sometimes see it though if you pull up in front of windows at a store or something.  

It is on anytime the headlights are on.  It is "T-ed" into the headlight harness for power right behind the headlight.

2 hours ago, slj2008 said:

How hard is it to remove the grill ?? any information will be helpful . Thanks

It can be pretty tricky if you haven't done it before. It took me a few tries and researching where the grill retainers are to get it right. This video has an image in it that shows exactly where the retainers are located. This was the most helpful for me with figuring out how to remove the grill.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, lapoolboy said:

Did you pull back on and "unclick" the red locking tab?  You have to do that and then you can depress the tab on the light harness to unplug it.

After unlocking it I used a big flat bladed screw driver to gently push the connector out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I put one of these on my 2016 and would really recommend putting a thin layer of silicon around the edges of the emblem before you install.  I had it on mine for a little over a year and when I took it off before I sold my truck, i noticed it was pulling apart and had some water inside of it. The crappy thing is I have to buy a new one now because it isn't compatible with my 2019.  They were $200 a couple years ago and I guess Chevy decided they need more money and added $75 to the price.

• 2 weeks later...

Just ordered one for my '19 RST copy of GM installation instructions attached. The 2020 version might appears to have a later part # but appears to be the same, wire routing appears different along a fixed spine so as not to interfere with function of the aero shutters.

In particular calls for tape masking of the light and bumper areas and use of a plastic trim tool to release the ends of the grille to reduce chance of resuable clip breakage......masking would be important on an RST because of the body color painted grille and bumper.

1500 19+ ill Bowtie.pdf

Edited by Thomcat

On 3/24/2020 at 5:10 PM, Lionel Olguin said:

Is your bowtie as bright in person as it looks in the photo. I did my install today and I expected it to be a bit brighter. 

20200324_135324.jpg

20200324_134901.jpg

Just ordered one, I'm glad it is not a bright chrome surround which stands out like a sore thumb against the other front lighting....would have bought one sooner even without the light if I knew it showed as a dull white/grey......that bowtie surround was the last piece of chrome left to strip from the RST.

DSCN0719.JPG.ca9d63aec38024e218226711e6c8e22f.JPG

DSCN0762.JPG.3483918e0a41821f577a93006a56e0fb.JPG