GM Accessory Illuminated Front Bowtie Install

I picked up a GM accessory illuminated front bowtie ($275 list price) from the dealer and installed it today. Looks awesome at night! Here is a step by step to show anyone else that wants to install their own.

Open the hood and remove the hood safety latch handle, it uses 2 torx bit screws. It needs to be removed to get the upper radiator cover off. Take out the push-pins holding the radiator cover on and then remove it. Then take out the 10mm bolts that hold the top of the grill in.

image.thumb.jpeg.d5b27b771e720aed6a489aa65a1be7cc.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d2b7c6c0cebeb43bd15cc0986fdca207.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.745ffba1c8df18914665d2048fb8eb65.jpeg

Next pull the top of the grill out, it has a little catch on all the top parts. You have to lift it up then pull it out. Then grab the grill above and below the main bar next to a light and pull the grill away from the light. It is tight and you will probably think you are going to break it but it will come loose. Do the same with the other one. Once the grill is pulled back you can get to the backside of the emblem.

image.thumb.jpeg.c79499581f5fe12d5fbc4cb2e7d11a9c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4f9af0f526c643b0279e5c24327b7d20.jpeg

Now you can get the old bowtie out, reach in there and 4 tabs hold it in. Just push the tabs and it will pop out. Once it is out put your wiring through the hole, hook up the new bowtie and snap it into place.

image.thumb.jpeg.ae9f41a6ac5f3b324ba42412fb649157.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.69acf4e69031620acd030a4551ff0c3c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.20458ec1764e3f05f82ccb55ca187e12.jpeg

Now run your wiring along the upper radiator support and in behind the left headlight. Then disconnect the truck headlight connector and connect your illuminted bowtie wiring harness to it, then connect the bowtie harness into the headlight. Secure all the wires and turn on your lights and test it. It should be fully functional.

image.thumb.jpeg.cfd08232c85b9f70f4e2db1bc38743cb.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9f4e739770d676bdb014228005c78d07.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.decb7a2c8dd35989ef88da8b1cd0cebc.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c592729525f1551367e99ec4592ca98b.jpeg

Ok, now you just put everything back together in reverse order. Getting the grill all snapped back in is easier with 2 people to line everything up. Make sure you have all the tabs and pins lined up before you push it in or you could snap them off. The grill is sort of at an angle and you have to lift, line up all pins and tabs and then push it in.

Edited by BeardBros
  • Like 17

Looks great, thanks for the write up. I bought the standard black one for my truck and was wondering how it all went together. Truthfully I was hoping to be able to reach in there without taking the grill off but probably not enough space...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

Looks great, thanks for the write up. I bought the standard black one for my truck and was wondering how it all went together. Truthfully I was hoping to be able to reach in there without taking the grill off but probably not enough space...

Since you do not have a wire to hook up you can just pry the gold on off with a plastic wedge and pop your black one in. The disassembly is only because of routing the wiring.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BeardBros said:

I picked up a GM accessory illuminated front bowtie ($275 list price) from the dealer and installed it today. Looks awesome at night! Here is a step by step to show anyone else that wants to install their own.

Open the hood and remove the hood safety latch handle, it uses 2 torx bit screws. It needs to be removed to get the upper radiator cover off. Take out the push-pins holding the radiator cover on and then remove it. Then take out the 10mm bolts that hold the top of the grill in.

image.thumb.jpeg.d5b27b771e720aed6a489aa65a1be7cc.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d2b7c6c0cebeb43bd15cc0986fdca207.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.745ffba1c8df18914665d2048fb8eb65.jpeg

Next pull the top of the grill out, it has a little catch on all the top parts. You have to lift it up then pull it out. Then grab the grill above and below the main bar next to a light and pull the grill away from the light. It is tight and you will probably think you are going to break it but it will come loose. Do the same with the other one. Once the grill is pulled back you can get to the backside of the emblem.

image.thumb.jpeg.c79499581f5fe12d5fbc4cb2e7d11a9c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4f9af0f526c643b0279e5c24327b7d20.jpeg

Now you can get the old bowtie out, reach in there and 4 tabs hold it in. Just push the tabs and it will pop out. Once it is out put your wiring through the hole, hook up the new bowtie and snap it into place.

image.thumb.jpeg.ae9f41a6ac5f3b324ba42412fb649157.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.69acf4e69031620acd030a4551ff0c3c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.20458ec1764e3f05f82ccb55ca187e12.jpeg

Now run your wiring along the upper radiator support and in behind the left headlight. Then disconnect the truck headlight connector and connect your illuminted bowtie wiring harness to it, then connect the bowtie harness into the headlight. Secure all the wires and turn on your lights and test it. It should be fully functional.

image.thumb.jpeg.cfd08232c85b9f70f4e2db1bc38743cb.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9f4e739770d676bdb014228005c78d07.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.decb7a2c8dd35989ef88da8b1cd0cebc.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c592729525f1551367e99ec4592ca98b.jpeg

Ok, now you just put everything back together in reverse order. Getting the grill all snapped back in is easier with 2 people to line everything up. Make sure you have all the tabs and pins lined up before you push it in or you could snap them off. The grill is sort of at an angle and you have to lift, line up all pins and tabs and then push it in.

Looks great, nice write up and photos also. So, it is just plug and play, no splicing or any other connectors needed?

Edited by JimCost2014
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, JimCost2014 said:

Looks great, nice write up and photos also. So, it is just plug and play, no splicing or any other connectors needed?

Edited 7 hours ago by JimCost2014

You are correct, plug and play.

• Like 1

I have a question, I had the dealership install this as an option when I order my truck, but it doesn't look no where near as bright as yours!!! 

I think mine only come on when the headlights are on, but it doesn't look that way on yours.  Can you tell me on what settings does your bowtie light up and in your night time photo, is that picture with just the parking lights on?  If so, maybe they never told me and it dims lower when the headlights are on.  If you could let me know it would be appreciated.  Thanks!!!!

Edited by jliford01
Misspelling
  • Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 1:25 AM, jliford01 said:

I have a question, I had the dealership install this as an option when I order my truck, but it doesn't look no where near as bright as yours!!! 

I think mine only come on when the headlights are on, but it doesn't look that way on yours.  Can you tell me on what settings does your bowtie light up and in your night time photo, is that picture with just the parking lights on?  If so, maybe they never told me and it dims lower when the headlights are on.  If you could let me know it would be appreciated.  Thanks!!!!

It is the same brightness all the time. It turns on whenever the parking lights or main lights are on. The brightness of it in that picture most likely because of my phone taking the pic. It is not bright and projecting like a foglight but is definitely noticeable at night. I took that picture with just the running lights on.

Edited by BeardBros
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, BeardBros said:

It is the same brightness all the time. It turns on whenever the parking lights or main lights are on. The brightness of it in that picture most likely because of my phone taking the pic. It is not bright and projecting like a foglight but is definitely noticeable at night. I took that picture with just the running lights on.

Thanks for gettin back with me!  The way you describe it, it seems to be the same.  You are probably right about the phone making it brighter.  I do like the look of the front end with the illuminated bow tie!!!!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Josh B. said:

Do they make or is it possible to get an illuminated rear emblem?

There is no rear emblem on the 19s.  It says Chevrolet and its indented into the tailgate

• Like 2