Bilstein vs. Eibach- Who is the Winner ??

All,

Sorry I accidentally posted this on the 2019 forum.  I have a 2017 Sierra AT.  I have perused all of the Bilstein 5100 threads on the site.  There are many and are very informative.  I have also seen video's on YouTube about the Eibach Pro Truck Shocks with very good reviews.  American made and look to match Bilstein in quality.  I would love to hear from the board and any of you who have experienced both on and off road and your candid opinions and how they compare. 

Let 'em fly and thanks in advance.  

4W

Edited by 4weight

Can’t attest to Eibachs but I have 50,000 miles on my Bilstein 5100’s on my 2016 LTZ and they’ve been fantastic. 

I had Bilstein 6112’s on my old Taco and loved, loved, loved them! 

Im chomping at the bit waiting for 6112’s for my 1500...

• Like 1

I have a 16 AT Crew Cab. I replaced my ranchos at 19k with the Eibach in the front with their springs and Eibach shocks in the rear and I added a bigger block to raise the rear 1".  I only have about 1500 miles on it since the upgrades but I like the ride so much better.  I have a half curb apron on my driveway and the factory shocks and struts would bounce like a damn trampoline over bumps.  Eibachs eat the bumps up, its like you hit the bump and suspension compresses and rebounds and that's it, no compress rebound, compress rebound, and compress rebound over bumps like the ranchos.  Ride is a hair firmer, but the new springs are surely stiffer, they are thicker than the factory springs and give the 2.5" of lift on the lowest clip setting.  Truck is more planted on the road (doesn't feel like it's floating nearly as much anymore), less sway left to right, and ride was smoother in regards to vibration and small bumps from the road.  Maybe re-using the factory springs would net a smoother ride, but who knows because you have to preload them to get the lift then (I think I'm saying that correctly).  Now, i purchased this truck used and it had the rough country leveling blocks on the front so not sure how much that impacted the factory rancho ride, it surely had to.

I haven't ridden in a truck with the 5100's but if they are anything like the Eibach you cannot go wrong.  I only went with the Eibach because for a few more bucks you could get new springs and for whatever reason I liked the idea of new springs to get the desired front lift over preloading the front springs with the 5100s.  I read some mixed reviews on ride quality on the highest setting with the 5100 and I knew that was what I would do...so I went with pretty much a completely unknown!

• Like 3

When I lifted mine I installed 5100's on front .  Set on lowest. In the beginning i loved the ride. Over time just seemed a little rough when crossing intersections and other hard hits. Cornering was great and could feel the road , but hard hits I left the road.  Was a great improvement over stock shocks but over time just wasn't good enough. To me they dont have enough stroke and depend more on the spring. I know valving is set up to work in conjunction but decided was just too stiff. 

Over all they served the purpose for less than a year.  I loved them when towing or hauling , they performed best then , daily drive and off road not so much for my taste. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FlipZ71 said:

When I lifted mine I installed 5100's on front .  Set on lowest. In the beginning i loved the ride. Over time just seemed a little rough when crossing intersections and other hard hits. Cornering was great and could feel the road , but hard hits I left the road.  Was a great improvement over stock shocks but over time just wasn't good enough. To me they dont have enough stroke and depend more on the spring. I know valving is set up to work in conjunction but decided was just too stiff. 

Over all they served the purpose for less than a year.  I loved them when towing or hauling , they performed best then , daily drive and off road not so much for my taste. 

Thinking about eventually installing 5100's and this is what worries me.I've heard the 5100's are pretty stiff. What did you replace them with?

28 minutes ago, TJay74 said:

I put the Bilstien 4600 on my 2016 All Terrain, night and day improvement over the stock faux Rancho stuff.

Amen on "Faux" Rancho.

Tenneco bought them out and they are not the same Rancho of yesteryear....  LOL

5100s may feel stiff but they soak up hard hits so much better. The most reported description of the 5100's ride is a PLANTED feeling.

This is where they shine. No more pogo stick deflection as with the Ranchos.

Just about every mid level shock out there cannot eliminate expansion joint harshness etc. After-all, we do drive trucks.

Maybe thousands of dollars in Coil-Overs can produce better results.

Eibachs appear to be similar and produce about the same ride feel as the 5100s

Bilstein 4600 and 5100 are the same internal shock, but with a different outward appearance. One Yellow One Silver. 5100 has a slightly longer rod for lift/level up to 2"

Check Out Water Fowler 41 and his youtube video of the Eibach system if interested.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, swoleymammoth said:

Thinking about eventually installing 5100's and this is what worries me.I've heard the 5100's are pretty stiff. What did you replace them with?

I upgraded with fox full length coil overs. 

My truck is lifted 4.5....  the spacer up top with the 5100 , shortened the 5100 stroke 3/8 of an inch.    Prolly not noticable...  but 

As Sierra Dan stated ..  PLANTED is a great description for 5100 when compared to stock ...   it is very much improved over stock ride....  even lifted.... especially considering the cost for them...  

Chances are if I didnt go off road I may have kept them on ...

I ordered a set front and rear of Eibach.. (they are scheduled to ship next week.. can't wait). I currently have 8000km on the truck and I decided on spending the little more $ for the Eibach over Bilsteins based on the added flexibility the Eibach provide with the availability of the optional coil springs.

32 minutes ago, STRMTRPR said:

I ordered a set front and rear of Eibach.. (they are scheduled to ship next week.. can't wait). I currently have 8000km on the truck and I decided on spending the little more $ for the Eibach over Bilsteins based on the added flexibility the Eibach provide with the availability of the optional coil springs.

who'd ya order them through? Been sorta looking around keeping my eye out on whats available up here

I ordered them thru Essex Distributing in BC (essexpartscanada.com).. shipping is free and they are authorized Canadian dealer for both Bilstein (separate website) and Eibach so no issues for warranty claims.. Eibach are limited lifetime as well.

• Like 1

Did you order the 'Pro truck lift system'?
They list the separate springs as +2.5" but the shocks as adjustable 0 - 2" lift (assuming that is based on stud gm spring).

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk