second thoughts

I am scheduled to have a 2.5 level up on my 18 Sierra CC Z71.  I am having second thoughts.  Its a huge chunk of change from level to full blown 4+ lift.  Im sure alot of people wish they lifted more, any change their mind at the last  minute and go bigger?  I am pretty sure some have also leveled, then installed a lift later.  My previous  rides were 14 Ram Bilsteined up on 35s, and before that a 10 Rubi, lifted on 35s.     Pic of the Rubi and Ram.  Hmmm, what to do?

DSC_0293.JPG

DSC_5866.JPG

If you want to keep all the same angles so the ride is not effected, multiple guys really like the CST kit for our trucks. Budget $2k+ for the lift and another $1k for bigger all terrain tires.

A level will give you a little worse ride, liveable though. I had a 2" level in the front, but ended up doing a 2.5" front and 1.5" rear lift kit from Halolifts. Also did a 33" tire from Falken, the Wildpeak AT3's. See pic below of my 2016 Sierra set up. Ran me about $2k total for the lift kit and tires. I didn't want a 4" lift or to spend $3k+, so that's why I went that route.

Really like your Rubi. Curious, why did you get rid of both of them?

IMG_20190104_111224.jpg

Edited by midwestdenaliguy

I have a very bad habit of changing vehicles.  The Rubi was great offroad, but was a slug on the road, needed a re-gear, so I traded it for the Ram.

I think the shop near me installs Zone.  I think I would like wide 33s with room to move.  

Edited by big papa

1 hour ago, big papa said:

I have a very bad habit of changing vehicles.  The Rubi was great offroad, but was a slug on the road, needed a re-gear, so I traded it for the Ram.

I think the shop near me installs Zone.  I think I would like wide 33s with room to move.  

Sold my TJ last year, first thing I did when I originally bought it was a regear to 4.10. Miss having a Jeep, will definitely be getting a JKU by next year. 

Good luck with your lift/tire decision. Plenty to read up on in the forum.

I just changed from a Zone 2" Level with Bilstein 5100 shocks on the stock setting and a Zone 1.5" Body Lift to the Eibach Pro Truck Lift System 2.5" with a 2" Block in back for a 4" gain overall.  The ride is better than it was with the 2" level spacer under the strut.

I only have a few hundred miles on the setup and it's a little stiff but I think it will soften up with some miles.  I'm also running LT285/60R20 tires which contribute to the stiffness.  If you can keep a "P Metric tire size", you'll maintain a decent ride quality.  

I never got around to trying the Bilsteins on the highest setting which would have only netted 1.85".  Some people have said it rides too stiff, others have not complained.  I think it boils down to what kind of ride you expect and the tires you install. 

I don't really understand the level up idea...I guess for looks and to fit a bigger tire, but if you don't gain any real ground clearance, so what? I'm sure I'm gonna piss some people off, but when you mess up the angles as bad as some of the level kits do, you're gonna pay for it in the end. I've had many GM trucks and have my first lifted one and love it. It does spend 80% on the road, but some of my new shooting/hunting spots you cannot access without a lifted suspension which makes it twice as fun. Pony up the extra and enjoy...

Edited by 2017Darkness

29 minutes ago, big papa said:

Well, im signed up for a Zone 4.5 for next week.  Now to study wheels and tires.

The shop that is doing the install does crazy trucks also.

20190220_121112.jpg

thumbnail_20190118_153452.jpg

Not sure I could deal with that LOL...would have to have one of these at the house :rolleyes:

accessair-deicer-stair-640.jpg

I tend to overthink things and end up costing myself money lol. I leveled my truck shortly after I got it. I was content for about a year and decided on a 4" lift. That was about 6 months ago, really wish I would have just gone with a 6-7" lift now. I know what I am doing next time around at least. [emoji23]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk