Which brakes to buy...

So the time has come for new rotors and pads.

Can’t decide between powerstop z36 package and oem.

The powerdrop brakes are drilled and slotted rotors. I can’t help but think a lot of people go with them for the appearance. There are some positive reviews of them on here though.

For someone who doesn’t give a damn about appearance and just wants long lasting and good brakes, what are your thoughts?

Don’t want to shell out for big brake kit. Too much $$$.

what does an oem setup cost btw? Where should I source them...

Interesting you should ask. I have a 2016 escalade esv with the first brakes. I'm replacing with ac Delco pads and rotors for about 150.00 for the parts. Amazon. My card gives another 5 % off. 

I have 51k on my 18 crew cab 1500. 

Rotors are pulsating. 

Ive read about people going with the AC Delco police package stuff. 

Every brake job I’ve done, I’ve used raybestos top end rotors (now they have the ones that don’t rust) and raybestos pads on daily drivers, top end ceramic on my c4, and akebono where available. 

Im planning on going police package route when the weather gets better. 

I hate wrenching in the cold. 

Mike

2 hours ago, DeePa said:

I have 51k on my 18 crew cab 1500. 

Rotors are pulsating. 

Ive read about people going with the AC Delco police package stuff. 

Every brake job I’ve done, I’ve used raybestos top end rotors (now they have the ones that don’t rust) and raybestos pads on daily drivers, top end ceramic on my c4, and akebono where available. 

Im planning on going police package route when the weather gets better. 

I hate wrenching in the cold. 

Mike

Hmmm, anybody know more about the police package?

2 hours ago, austingta said:

Interesting you should ask. I have a 2016 escalade esv with the first brakes. I'm replacing with ac Delco pads and rotors for about 150.00 for the parts. Amazon. My card gives another 5 % off. 

That’s not oem though is it?

i’ve bought plenty of cheap sets of brakes and they don’t last long at all. I trust ac delco for most parts, I dunno about 4 sets of pads and rotors for $150 though. That’s about the price I paid for the crappy stuff at advanced auto.

I had power stop. And it was crap. Read up on drilled and slotted and you will see it is the worst thing you can do on or base vehicles. Even the articles by bear and wildwood say the same. Drilled is a look you lose rotational at a amount that doesn't matter but that weight is good for heat and slowing down. Slotted vents gasses that build up under the pad but really what type of races are you doing in your truck. Size matters and materials. 

I have had brakes that are over 5k and 60 dollar part store. For daily easy going truck best auto store is fine. I like the bosh quite rotors and a ceramic pad. And my girl is super hard on brakes never get more than 2 years. And that was on a regal gs with brembo a terrain and enclave. 

No complaints here from PowerStop z36 kit. Comes with everything you need and i spent like $350 for the kit.

Test your parking brake, you may need shoes while you're doing the rears already. 

Edited by Ozer