WHY? 4-6-8

SS502

Why would someone get a 4 cylinder truck? If you own or are considering one, what swayed you towards it? I am not ragging on you I am trying to get real answers. The numbers seem to favor the V-8 in most every way so I just gotta ask!

ONE EXTREME:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/autos-trucks/the-2019-chevrolet-silverado-1500-27t-four-cylinder-is-capable-but-thirsty/ar-BBTWJTH?ocid=ientp

TO THE OTHER:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a24851287/2019-chevy-silverado-pickup-high-country-by-the-numbers/

Edited by SS502

MPG ratings for the EPA should be pretty good, cheaper than making a bunch of small diesels, and they well sell a ton in the fleet market because of fuel and insurance costs.

Edited by JimCost2014
  • Thanks 1

If the 4 pot makes 22-24 MPG then its worth it to me and I have not been a fan of the engine  But with TFL's recent test in high altitude and 24 MPG , color me impressed .  

And really the 5.3 is so lethargic , the 4 CYL should feel really close to it down low. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TFL Truck recently compared and tested a 2019 RAM Rebel with the Hemi Eco vs. 2019 Silverado 2.7 Turbo across a 100 mile highway span.

Avg. Economy for the RAM Hemi was 16.8 Mpg

Avg. Economy for the Silverado 2.7 Turbo was 24.2 Mpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I didn’t find the 2019 5.3 to be lethargic at all in my experience with it. The earlier ones, yes, tuning was awful. Reduced weight helps a lot in these trucks too.

If I was a practical person I should have gotten the 2.7 as the type of city driving and light hauling I do most of the time would have been well suited for it. That said, it’s going to take some time for the public to get used to having 4 cylinders in full size trucks, and I don’t want to be in the test mule crowd of their first year turbo engine.

• Thanks 1

I wouldn’t be too sure. I read recently the collector car market is turning Asian. Maybe Ford had the right idea, turbo engines. The fast and furious crowd loves tuner turbo engines. Mustang and Camaro have turbo 4s now. Makes sense an Asian cars lover needs a full sized pick up they go turbo engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OnTheReel said:

I didn’t find the 2019 5.3 to be lethargic at all in my experience with it. The earlier ones, yes, tuning was awful. Reduced weight helps a lot in these trucks too.

If I was a practical person I should have gotten the 2.7 as the type of city driving and light hauling I do most of the time would have been well suited for it. That said, it’s going to take some time for the public to get used to having 4 cylinders in full size trucks, and I don’t want to be in the test mule crowd of their first year turbo engine.

This, I had a 2018 5.3 that was a gutless slug. My 2019 is a completely different beast. Although rated the same it feels like it has 30% more hp and torque.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CmackR56 said:

This, I had a 2018 5.3 that was a gutless slug. My 2019 is a completely different beast. Although rated the same it feels like it has 30% more hp and torque.

Funny both my 2018 5.3 are not gutless slugs. I hardly think 355 hp as gutless. Turn off traction control and smoke the tires with ease. 2018 and 2019 5.3 are the same. You must have had your floor mat stuck under the gas pedal.

I'll give you this though the 2019 is lighter making it feel faster but not by much .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, dieselfan1 said:

Funny both my 2018 5.3 are not gutless slugs. I hardly think 355 hp as gutless. Turn off traction control and smoke the tires with ease. 2018 and 2019 5.3 are the same. You must have had your floor mat stuck under the gas pedal.

I'll give you this though the 2019 is lighter making it feel faster but not by much .

The tuning and transmission shifting on the 2019 are far superior to my 2018. The 2018 was such a slug that I traded it in with 5700 miles. In all fairness the '18 had big shoes to fill. I was coming out of 2 consecutive F150 Ecoboost Lariats that were torquey and quick. The 18 just didn't measure up. Decided it had to go and test drove a 5.7 Ram and another F150 King Ranch Ecoboost. Wife suggested a Sierra 1500 Denali, so we test drove a 19 Denali and it was much smoother shifting, responsive and just seemingly more powerful engine than my 18 was. OBTW, the 18 and 19 are not the same engine. the 2019 is DFM vs AFM, also the 8 spd seems much smoother shifting.

Edited by CmackR56
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, dieselfan1 said:

All I know is I had a 2016 6 speed 5.3 and was loaned a 2019 8 speed 5.3. Driving them literally side by side, the difference was incredible. You could have told me the 2019 had 50 more horsepower than mine and I would have believed it. Even my buddy who is not exactly a gear head said it was much much quicker and responsive, and he could see me trading for that reason alone.

Ultimately I did opt for the 6.2 but you won’t ever see me trashing the current 5.3. They have it dialed in perfectly. I’m sorry, but the “same engine” is just not as good in the K2s, even though the ratings are identical. Maybe it’s the tune, maybe it’s the trans, maybe it’s the weight loss, but they do not feel anywhere close to the same.

• Thanks 1