Who has one?  What are your opinions of it towing and driving empty?  

I’ll be trading or selling my 6.0 2500HD soon and am seriously considering a trail boss LT to replace it-don’t need the 2500 any longer for how little I tow and how infrequently I do so.  Also I’m tired of 11mpg avg on every tank of fuel just about.

I’d love to hear your opinions good or bad.  I drove one very briefly a few weeks ago at the dealership but traffic was too heavy to get an accurate feel for it, other than to say it was quiet inside at speed.  I’m a bit concerned about the 3.23 rear end, as I will rarely (3-4 times a year) tow about 3500lbs maximum.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 2011Chevy said:

Who has one?  What are your opinions of it towing and driving empty?  

I’ll be trading or selling my 6.0 2500HD soon and am seriously considering a trail boss LT to replace it-don’t need the 2500 any longer for how little I tow and how infrequently I do so.  Also I’m tired of 11mpg avg on every tank of fuel just about.

I’d love to hear your opinions good or bad.  I drove one very briefly a few weeks ago at the dealership but traffic was too heavy to get an accurate feel for it, other than to say it was quiet inside at speed.  I’m a bit concerned about the 3.23 rear end, as I will rarely (3-4 times a year) tow about 3500lbs maximum.

I have about 12k miles on my LT Trail Boss and I love it so far.  The towing capacity is around 9500 lbs max but I have yet to tow with it.  I have used it to carry about 1800 lbs of landscaping bricks multiple times as well as other things and it handled it with no issue.  As for gas mileage, I average about 14-16 mpg in the city and 16-18 highway but have gotten up to 21 mpg before.  One thing I would definitely recommend is to order the Safety Package as it has saved my butt a few times and is super convenient.  What other questions do u have specifically?

Also, I wrote a 10k mile review on it a month or so ago and have attached the link below.

Edited by z1boss

Thanks for the reply.  

My wife drives a 17 tahoe 5.3/3.42 and before I bought a programmer to shut off the AFM, it shifted very strange, with at times some clunking and harder than normal shifts.  To say it is like driving a different vehicle with all 8 cylinders firing all the time would be an understatement!  Huge improvement.  

I don’t want to be experiencing the same issues with a brand new trail boss-have you or anyone else experienced similar things with the DFM on these trucks?  I realize the tahoe has a 6sp and the new truck an 8, so I’m not sure what positives or negatives go alone with that.

1 minute ago, 2011Chevy said:

Thanks for the reply.  

My wife drives a 17 tahoe 5.3/3.42 and before I bought a programmer to shut off the AFM, it shifted very strange, with at times some clunking and harder than normal shifts.  To say it is like driving a different vehicle with all 8 cylinders firing all the time would be an understatement!  Huge improvement.  

I don’t want to be experiencing the same issues with a brand new trail boss-have you or anyone else experienced similar things with the DFM on these trucks?  I realize the tahoe has a 6sp and the new truck an 8, so I’m not sure what positives or negatives go alone with that.

Honestly, I have had zero issues with the new DFM.  It is so smooth that I dont even feel it changing the amount of cylinders.  Also, the 8 speed is very good.  I have had a few random clunks with it but nothing that I am concerned with.  I personally think that it just didnt engage the right gear during those times.

• Like 1

I'm sorry I can't speak for towing. I have yet to do that. I have hauled plenty of furniture and home depot runs in that bed (being the friend with the truck is good and bad..) and it pulls with ease.

It's my daily driver and I average around 15mpg mostly city/short trips so it's not a huge improvement from your 6.0

The truck itself is wonderful, built pretty solidly. It steers accurately, brakes strongly, rides fine despite it's off-road orientated feel. It also drives smaller than its size, except for parking.

While the 5.3 isn't as stout as the 6.2 (I've had a '17 Camaro SS since new and driven plenty of LTZ's and HC's) it never feels short on power even with a loaded bed. Cylinder shut off isn't noticeable at all.

My wife and I took a Phoenix to Vegas trip and back. Averaged 16-18mpg and did about 90 the entire time.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

I test drove one and love the truck...BUT the 5.3 power train is not for me. It doesnt feel like it can get out of its own way.  

Power requirements/desires are not the same for everyone and it may be more than sufficient for you....

Edited by Chris walker

I have had mine for a few months now and have 2500 miles on it and I love it.  Plenty of power, super smooth on the highway and not really any road noise.  You dont even notice the shifting and so far over my 2500 miles I have averaged 17 mpg, but most of that has been city miles. 

My only complaint at this point is not a lot of after marker upgrades for the trail boss yet, but a bunch out for the standard Silverado.  I have had no issues with power and if you step on the gas, it will go!  Not real sure what Chris is complaining about, its not a corvette, but for a big truck, it hauls ass.  I have not towed with it, but I don't plan to either.  You cant go wrong with the Trail boss, its a great truck.  

• Like 2

Agreed. I guess power is all relative. For me and knowing what the truck is, I’m more than content. I’ll always be happy for more, but I have a Camaro if I want to race around..

The 8 speed is a bit finicky at really low speeds or pulling up to a parking space, it’ll give you a slight kick. From what I heard, that goes away after a few thousand miles once the software learns and adapts.

Thanks for all the feedback so far.  I need to drive another one for a longer period of time.  That way I can get a more accurate feel for the 8sp with the 3.23 rear end.  

The tahoe we have (now with engine running in all 8 all the time) has plenty of power to tow what little weight I’d pull, and I’ve kicked around the idea of just getting a 4wd suburban......you can still get those with the larger rear (3.42), and the 6sp.  But I’ve not decided for sure either way yet.  

Have a Trail Boss and do love the truck all but the MPGs , on the Hway I get 18 to 20 depending how fast I'm driving but in the city/suburbs 12MPG. Stop n go driving will kill your gas mileage for sure

5 hours ago, towdog333 said:

Have a Trail Boss and do love the truck all but the MPGs , on the Hway I get 18 to 20 depending how fast I'm driving but in the city/suburbs 12MPG. Stop n go driving will kill your gas mileage for sure

Wow-12mpg city?  That’s pretty bad for a half ton v8.  Highway mpg seems good though.  

Highway and City both sound about right with “normal” driving. Stop and go isn’t good for gas mileage in any vehicle, let alone a V8 truck.

You might be able to gain 1-2 mpg more in either one, but you’ll have to ease off the pedal some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk