Payload limits and going over

I have to pickup some vinyl plank flooring for a customer this week and I know it weighs a couple hundred pounds over my payload rating. I'm using my Double cab because it has a higher rating than my Crew cab. I really don't want to bring my trailer because there is no place to park at the jobsite. What would you do? I really don't want to make two trips either.

I can show up there with 1/8 tank of fuel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have to pickup some vinyl plank flooring for a customer this week and I know it weighs a couple hundred pounds over my payload rating. I'm using my Double cab because it has a higher rating than my Crew cab. I really don't want to bring my trailer because there is no place to park at the jobsite. What would you do? I really don't want to make two trips either.
I can show up there with 1/8 tank of fuel.

This is one of those questions that as you know is going to cause spirited debate. The funny part you know that, and the answer.[emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

This is one of those questions that as you know is going to cause spirited debate. The funny part you know that, and the answer.emoji106.png

I'm sure half will say do it and half will say don't.

• Like 1

Well...for me I think it would all depend on how far you have to travel, your definition of a couple :D and the route you have to travel. I've done it before (not in this truck but my 08 Avalanche) and didn't have any problems. I know there will be people who will chastise me for saying this but it is what it is.

• Like 1

How far of a trip are we talking about? I've hauled more weight than my truck was designed for, (not current truck, but older one). If you aren't in heavy traffic and can can go slow for short distances, you're okay.

My opinion is you can do whatever you want with your truck. But its a different story if you are causing a problem for other drivers.

Tips: load weight as far forward as possible to put some load over front axle, make sure tires are fully inflated, or even a little over. once your axle reaches the bump stops, then you are relying on your tires for "suspension." As long as you are NOT over the tires' max load rating and not being a road hazard, you can make it happen.

But if anything goes wrong, you're on your own. ha.

8 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

This is one of those questions that as you know is going to cause spirited debate. The funny part you know that, and the answer.emoji106.png

I agree.  Op knows what he is asking for but if it is a legitimate dilemma then it is not worth any debate. If the friend cannot afford to rent a truck for a couple of hours or pay for delivery then he can contribute $20 to his friend.

I would not hesitate to go 15% over max payload to pick up a load of flooring personally.  I have not maxed out my current Sierra*, but I did have by 2008 Canyon at max payload, and it did not feel strained.  Of course, I would adjust my driving style, and leave extra braking distance.  I would not exceed the posted speed limit. 

*I may have maxed out / exceeded the payload rating on my Sierra, but I had no way to accurately estimate the weight of the load.

Edited by rkj__
  • Like 1

Oh gawd!!!!!   A couple hundred pounds over payload are you insane!!!!!  Do you wanna blow your tires and snap your axles!!!!!!   You’re crazy even considering this. I’ll be praying that everything goes ok

• Haha 1

Payload is based off of several factors and there is a margin of error for all items involved. GM is going to err on the side of caution and make the rating something they feel comfortable with not the absolute max it can handle hence the nice round numbers. Id do it without thinking twice. You're golden. 

• Like 1

It shouldnt be a problem. Obviously the driveline can handle it, as we can tow much more than the rated payload of the vehicle. The concern is with the frame/suspension and other components that connect the load to the ground. Bumps or waves in the road can cause the load to raise up off the bed. Obviously, when gravity kicks in, the load comes back down. The force of the material falling back down onto the bed is far greater than the static weight of the material itself. Its just like hanging from a cable, the only force is your weight itself... say 200 pounds. If you fall 5 feet and then the cable catches you, the force exerted on the cable is over 3000 lbs. 

In summary, the static load isnt the problem, its the live load that could present issues. All this said, secure the load well, drive slow, and avoid bumpy and wavy roads. Drive the long way around if it means you're driving on smooth roads. If you do these things, youll be fine. 

Edited by boilers
  • Like 4

Good advice all around.  Keep it sensible, watch out for others, plan ahead. 

Get everythint out of the cab, and skip the cheeseburger for lunch. Maybe even visit the little boy’s room.