Window tint

Tinting my windows tomorrow. Any recommendations on what % I should do? Don’t know much about tinting. 2018 Silverado CC ocean blue metallic. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What state are you in? Every state has different laws regarding tint.

I’m not saying you should or should not follow those laws. Lots of people don’t but it would be a good idea to at least know what the limits are for your state.

What are you going for? As dark as possible? Match the other windows?

I believe 20% (the percentage is how much light is allowed through the tint - lower numbers are darker tint) will most closely match the smoked back windows that came from the factory.

I chose 35% for my own truck. I wanted some tint to shield myself and the interior from the sun but not so dark that it was hard to see out at night. I move between states a lot so I honestly don’t know if it’s legal or not.

• Like 2

Looks like Indiana allows for 30% tint on the sides legally.

Personally i would go 20% on the front sides to match the rear. I also have 50% on my windshield and it is awesome during the day and not too dark at night. I added an additional layer of 20% over the rear window to darken things up and would considering doing the same to the rear sides. MN is more strict than IN, but I just consider it a "tint tax" when they fine you. 

• Like 1

I used 3M Crystalline Film. Back glass was something like 20% over factory tint which came out by meter 5%. Limo black. I think it was 30% side glass over lighter factory solar tint,  and 90% on the front with a 6" 5% shade. Darkest allowed by Illinois State Law in all positions. I remember when I first drove it I was looking under the visor at stop lights and it took awhile to adjust to the side glass in unlit intersections at night. I was told I was wasting my money using their most expensive film. I'll do it again. Truck is five years old and the interior is devoid of any sun damage. Takes little air conditioning even on the hottest days. I use the AC as a dehumidifier most of the summer. It does take a bit more heat in the winter but the system has been up to the task. My skin loves it and is effective enough at blocking UV that my photo gray glasses left on the dash will not darken. Stuff works. 

• Like 2

5% rears and back

20% (dumb Texas law) for the fronts

want to do a polarized overlay on the front window shield. 

Not terribly dark at night. But this is why you have a backup camera. 

41203AC9-E44C-4BB0-9ED5-8BDEC8A7F86D.jpeg

• Like 1

Hopefully your installer has some kind of display with the different percentages for you to look at. As stated above depends what your looking to accomplish and your comfort level. When I was younger I always did anything behind the front seats to 5% (this is what is referred to as limo tint if you ever rode in the back of a limo it was most likely this) and front sides to 20%(this is about what is factory on the rear doors back windows of these trucks) if your still awake and your truck is outside go sit in the back seat and look out the window this will give you an idea of what 20% is like in the dark. But now that I’m older I do 35% on the sides and the factory in the rear is about perfect IMO. I drive a lot of rural roads at night and I’m glad on this truck I went with the 35% it’s a nice compromise between not to dark at night and blocks out enuff during the day. If I didn’t drive much at night and/or drove mostly in a urban setting I’d probably go darker. The only time I wish the fronts were darker is if some doofus is tailgating me at night running some combo of stupidly bright lights shining in the door mirrors probably somebody with 5% on the whole windshield... You couldn’t pay me to tint my windshield any % I’ve road with guys that have and during the day it’s great but at night it seems so counter productive but maybe that’s just me? I don’t wear sunglasses when I’m using a flashlight. But they do make clear films that block the heat, helps with glare, and blocks UVs if that’s what your after. Since this sounds like your first tinted vehicle I’d error on the side of not dark enough as opposed to to dark. At first if you feel it’s to dark give it a week or two for your eyes two get use to it it won’t seem as dark. 

Also a tint job job is only as good as the installer no matter how good of tint they use. Hopefully you’ve seen their work already and that they use quality films. This is one of those things that you get what you pay for. And follow their instructions after the install as far as wait time to use your windows and cleaning process.

And if you happen to get pulled over with tinted fronts do yourself a favor and roll them both down (if it ain’t pouring rain anyway) for the officer. In my experience most of them will appreciate the gesture and might cut you some slack for it. There is a bill in the Iowa Senate now for a vote (again) to make front tint legal 30% I think is what they want? Currently anything behind the front side windows can be any darkness even spray painted black if your so inclined but the fronts & windshield below the brow line must pass 70% of light through them. Most factory clear glass blocks 25-30% naturally so any front tint is “illegal”. The one thing that has always been brought up about this that always stops it is officer safety as in they can’t see in. Just something to think about.

• Like 1

large.DSC_0380.JPG.a0c2eb01208314c539a06650cf3b1ed5.JPGlarge.DSC_0389.JPG.2d5f22675dc934bf9a37bc41a8179421.JPG

Here's mine with 5% over the factory 20% in the rear and 5% in the front, i used Suntek CXP. I've had this set up for 3yrs now, i lived in San Diego and now florida. It's a little sketchy in low light areas, but you get used to it also helps if you have bright back up lights.

• Like 2

Thanks for the feedback! I’ve got a lot to think about over the next few hours before I get this done. Probably leaning towards 20% and a brow. We will see. I’ll post before and after pics this afternoon. Thanks again!

Thanks for the feedback! I’ve got a lot to think about over the next few hours before I get this done. Probably leaning towards 20% and a brow. We will see. I’ll post before and after pics this afternoon. Thanks again!

Keep in mind that the fronts are already 70% so 20% on top would be darker than the rear. The rear are 20% I believe. If you are added 20% all then disregard.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1