2018 5.3 notice a slight miss feel - maybe normal?

Maybe its me but when I'm stopped at red light sitting at idle in gear, every few seconds I feel the engine sort of shake like a miss. Its very subtle but you can feel it. Its hard to really call it a miss because that would be felt more it seems. I only have 1,500 miles but did it from day one. Maybe its normal? Anyone else notice this? I drove a 2017 GMC Sierra before i bought this and noticed the same thing.

Edited by al210

4 minutes ago, al210 said:

Maybe its me but when I'm stopped at red light sitting at idle in gear, every few seconds I feel the engine sort of shake like a miss. Its very subtle but you can feel it. Its hard to really call it a miss because that would be felt more it seems. I only have 1,500 miles but did it from day one. Maybe its normal? Anyone else notice this? I drove a 2017 GMC Sierra before i bought this and noticed the same thing.

Welcome to GDI...you can bring the idle all the way to 590rpm's sip,sip fuel.  GM brings it right to the brink on these babies in name of MPG's

I experienced this too until I raised my idle. Usually would notice in the summer time at a stop light with the A/C cranked. With my DiabloSport inTune i2 tuner I raised the idle 50 RPM's. After I did this it eliminated any rough idling. Seems kind of silly that all it took was 50 RPM's to eliminate this issue. I guess the engineers really wanted this engine to idle low!

Another option could be a motor mount.  Had it happen to my 2014 and had it replaced when I had the first oil change done.  Was especially noticeable when exiting a highway and coming to a stop.   I would think that they updated the motor mount since 2014 but you never know.  Bad batch?

CRC GDI intake valve cleaner just before the oil change and it all goes away.  Been using and all three GDI engine tucks I've had and now have and they all ran smooth.

Others will say run a catch can but that still will not clean the valves just keeps them cleaner over time.  Folks with catch cans should still clean the valves at least once a year.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BigBadSierra said:

CRC GDI intake valve cleaner just before the oil change and it all goes away.  Been using and all three GDI engine tucks I've had and now have and they all ran smooth.

Others will say run a catch can but that still will not clean the valves just keeps them cleaner over time.  Folks with catch cans should still clean the valves at least once a year.

I hadn’t thought of the once a year cleaning. I do run a dual can setup and have always said I’d do the cleaning (even with the catch cans) at 20K. My plan is to borescope at 20K to see if the catch cans are worth all the hype. I personally believe they are but I still want to see it. I know they work, this is just 400 miles worth of normal driving....

B8B1CCB1-B5AE-4B2F-B29C-2FF9116CB91A.jpeg

It's a high compression engine with a more aggressive cam profile than you are used to, essentially a high performance engine. If you have ever been in a vehicle with an aftermarket camshaft, it will feel similar but much more choppy and pronounced, if the profile of the cam is aggressive enough, you can even watch the tach sputter up and down as the RPM varies at idle. The motor mounts are spec'd to run smooth during operation, they are likely a stiffer compound of rubber and transmit more vibrations while idleing. It is normal, it wont go away with a different fuel source. The cam profile is the easiest way to gain power with these cam-in-block V8's.