license plate fee

redsled2007

Without getting into the politics of the issue, I was wondering how much others are paying for there yearly license plate fees.  Mine came due next month and I was quite shocked as to the amount. ($350 for a 12 year old pickup)  I asked my son about his truck , which is a few years newer, and he said that his was OVER $800.  Geez, what are the new trucks paying for there's?  Oh, by the way, this is California's. The fees for my truck are: registration fee- $136,  License fee- $46, Weight fee-$154, county/district fee- $11.   

The weight fee got me curious and I found out that ALL pick-up trucks are considered as "Commercial vehicles" unless you have modified the truck to be a camper type. (I.E. running water etc.) then you'd get a "non-commercial" plate.

Oh, an by-the-way, I had too get a SMOG certification also! (another $65)

This just another reason I'm getting ready to move to another state!

• Like 1

Here in NC  my tags for my 2002 and 2019 Silverado 1500 are $36 a year.  Now if I got a weighted tag then the price goes way up. Weighted as in the amount the vehicle is going to be sued to haul or tow.  Here is the list of what the cost are per weight for each tag. 

Here in NY the charges for the registration are based on whether it is passenger or commercial and how much you register it for. My 2017 Sierra 2500HD gas was  $322.50 registered at 9500 lbs with commercial plates for two years.

Edited by mjm-1957

I paid nearly $500 for my 2016 F-150. California also factors in the vehicle value and the strong re-sale value of trucks could be a factor.

At least my comprehensive insurance is much cheaper in California than other states. Here, we worry about vandals but if you're not a horse's ass, that shouldn't be a problem. Other states, doesn't matter if you're a nice guy or not, deer will still jump in front of your car.

I can either pay $500 for my registration or pay $500 a year for electricity and heat. It's a toss-up.

I think you may know why.  It's because y'all have to pay for those $Billion debacles such as high-speed trains that never get built, and to support CARB and your draconian vehicle inspections.  Oh, and free everything for your Powers that Be and the people who vote 'D' to support them.  Out here in 'Flyover Country' (that CA likes to make fun of), there are no vehicle inspections, politicians have to have at least a modicum of common sense or they soon get voted out, and hard-working people can afford to live.  Our family has had as many as 7 vehicles, and still paid less annually than you and your son pay for 2 vehicles.  

Edited by MaverickZ71
  • Like 3

$749.00 for our 16 Tahoe, was almost $700.00 last year for my 16 Silverado. Thinking I might be close to $800.00 on my 18 Silverado this year. Regional Transit Tax in Seattle area for a light rail system that will not be done in my lifetime. This state is elbow deep in my wallet, and getting deeper every year.......

2 hours ago, redsled2007 said:

Without getting into the politics of the issue, I was wondering how much others are paying for there yearly license plate fees.  Mine came due next month and I was quite shocked as to the amount. ($350 for a 12 year old pickup)  I asked my son about his truck , which is a few years newer, and he said that his was OVER $800.  Geez, what are the new trucks paying for there's?  Oh, by the way, this is California's. The fees for my truck are: registration fee- $136,  License fee- $46, Weight fee-$154, county/district fee- $11.   

The weight fee got me curious and I found out that ALL pick-up trucks are considered as "Commercial vehicles" unless you have modified the truck to be a camper type. (I.E. running water etc.) then you'd get a "non-commercial" plate.

Oh, an by-the-way, I had too get a SMOG certification also! (another $65)

This just another reason I'm getting ready to move to another state!

Each state is different.

Here in Missouri, you can get a 1 year or 2 year renewal based on your model year even or odd.

Bottom line is the state requires a safety inspection. You take that inspection in to get your plates renewed.

You also have to show proof of personal property tax payment that is due by end of year

Personal property taxes vary depending on the county.

Once you show proof of inspection and property tax payment the actual fee to obtain a license plate renewal is either $26 for a year or $50 for a two year.

All in total it can run as much as about $600 for inspection, property tax and license fees.

The counties here in Missouri require you to state exactly what your vehicle is and the VIN # so they can ding you for all your trim level bells and whistles... reg cab, crew cab etc.