Lots of rust, worth keeping?

Hey guys,

I just bought a beater silverado that I intended to keep for a month or two. Just wondering what you think of the rust situation? Worth putting any work into the vehicle and keeping it going for a bit? It has 215, 000 km on it. Haven't dealt with a rust situation like this before. I'll show pictures of the worst parts.

20190401_143009.jpg

20190401_143026.jpg

20190401_142946.jpg

Edited by accioio
Add picture

Looks like allot of surface rust to me...get a wire brush for your electric drill and clean off and re-coat paint. Don't know the year of the truck but looks worth keeping. Any body rust? Year of the truck?

Sierra Boy

I concur with Sierra Boy, in addition it looks like it has a new tailpipe, tread looks good on the one tire we can see, minimal rust on the one spring pack we see, only thing that might look sketchy to me is the rust on the one bed mounting bracket welded to the frame. In addition to the new appearing tailpipe, I see what appears to be a new stainless steel line or braided cable of some sort snaked between the frame and bottom of the bed, looks like the PO did do some remedial work, weigh the overall condition of the entire vehicle to come to your conclusion.

Its a 2006 silverado Z71 with 215,000 km, it's got a 4" lift, tires have decent tread but are starting to crack a bit. The body is in good shape aside from the rear bumper having a bit of rust. I think the bottom just saw a lot of gravel and mud. It has a new drive shaft, muffler and tailpipe along with new front hubs, brakes and axels.  The bad is the diff is whining a bit and it needs a new windshield. I was mostly wondering about how out of hand rust can get as I haven't had to deal with it before and I'm not sure if I want to put work into the vehicle if the frame rust is going to get out of hand. 

Edited by accioio