6 minutes ago, Tyler Cote said:

I have a 2020 gmc sierra 1500 elevation. At around 10,000 miles my service 4wd light came on. Next, the vehicle was stuck in 4-low and I had to have it towed to the dealership. The service tech said it just needed an update and was good to go. 2 days later the same light comes back on and off to the dealership I go. Anyone else have this issue and get it resolved?

Read my post above yours. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

2022 GMC Sierra 3500HD ... 110 miles on it (had it for two weeks). Noticed after I towed trailer from RV dealership (~5mi) to home, disconnected, let truck sit overnight, next morning Service 4wd light + Service ESC + Parking brake setting every time I shift into park. Freaked out, did forum search and didn't turn up this topic. Next day took RV to storage unit (spent 2 hours trying to squeeze into spot ... 90 degree back with a post on one side and 108" fifth wheel on other side ... getting a new storage unit, but that is a problem for another day). After doing that for two hours I noticed the service 4wd light/service esc + parking brake issue was resolved. Yay! Take truck home, let it sit for two days. Got into it tonight to run to town and service 4wd + Service ESC + Parking Brake issue. Roads have been wet here, but no snow. Took it to dealer and they pulled codes, tons of transfer case communication errors. Will share this topic with them in the hope it helps their techs.

Anyone else here been able to get it fixed long term? What was it?

Summarizing what I have read so far in the thread:

• Works
    • TCM/TCCM (Transfer Case Module) Replacement (One broke again after this)
    • Transfer Case Range Position Sensor Replacement (1x confirmed?)
    • Output Shaft Bearing Snap Ring Popped Off -> Replace bearing snap ring
  • Does Not Work
    • Range actuator re-learn
    • Reprogram TCCM
    • Threatening to get a Ford/Dodge/Tundra

Edit: Looks like there are more reports of this:

https://www.duramaxforum.com/threads/abs-light-e-brake-light-and-service-4wd.960009/

Edited by cavenerd

• 1 month later...

Had the "Service 4WD" pop up today on my way home from work. It's currently around -36 Degrees Celsius here in Alberta, but I'm not sure it's weather related. Shut the truck off and 8 hours later, the 4WD light on the dash stayed orange and the parking brake kept automatically engaging in Park and wouldn't disengage unless I pressed the throttle out of Park. The truck was drivable and wouldn't switch to 4AUTO or 4HI but eventually did, staying orange. Going onto a merging road, the light cleared itself and turned back to white going around 60 km/h and hasn't returned. Taking it to the dealership tomorrow though, as last week I had the "Service ESC" and "Service Parking Brake" with the blinking CEL issue (which also cleared on it's own overnight). Will update.

I have a 2022 Silverado 3500 and have had this issue as well. I was driving home in icy conditions with the truck in 4wd auto. The service 4wd light came on along with the orange indicator and parking brake applying itself. The truck felt like there was a power issue in the front end and would decelerate rapidly when not on the gas as if it was in full time 4wd. The truck has only 3000 miles on it.  I scheduled a service appointment for 1/7/22.   I was able to get the truck into 2wd by pressing the ignition to on and pressing the 2wd button and then pressing 2wd as the truck was starting. It still has the service 4wd light and orange indicator 2wd.   This is very disappointing and seems to be an issue with the “upgraded” 2 speed transfer case.   I will update if I can get a fix or definite answers in a couple days. 

Update on my situation regarding this issue: LIFTERS. The initial codes I experienced before the "Service 4WD" code came up were just lifters failing. Explains the clunk and slight burning smell I experienced at the time. Funny how it corrected itself for a week.

Thankfully still under power train warranty (90, 692 KM). Not sure if they're replacing both sides or just the malfunctioning side. Pretty disappointed, but I guess that's what I get for buying a 2019 and used.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: truck ended up clearing the code on its own, dealership says they showed history of it throwing a code but can’t do anything since it is functioning. They told me to keep transfer case and 4wd lubricated once a month or so and bring it back immediately with any further issues. I have since made sure to cycle through 4wd modes weekly and have had no issues. 

• 8 months later...

Well.   My ‘22 3500 is currently in the shop for this exact thing, right down to the parking brake turning itself on. 
Seems like reprogramming worked for some and new sensors worked for others.  
I did notice that when I started my truck right before these episodes, it starts ferociously.  Not a normal start up.  
Anyone else?  Any updates from previous posters?

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/10/2022 at 4:04 PM, medic6879 said:

2022 trail boss 2300 miles. Truck has sat for 4 days in the garage. Got in today sluggish start, service 4wd, and parking brake engage. Truck hasn't even had its first oil change yet.

This is certainly not what we like to hear, medic6879.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your 2022 Trail Boss. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: medic6879/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s privacy policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

• 2 months later...

Had the "Service 4WD" pop up in snow conditions. The message would go away after turning the truck off and back on. I noticed it kept coming back, specifically in 4WD when ABS would kick on. I took it to the dealer, they scanned for codes and multiple came up  for Brake System Control Module and Transfer Case Control Module. They ended up replacing the Transfer Case Four Wheel Drive Actuator - GM (84660077).  

• 4 weeks later...

How's this one, I picked my new Silverado 1500 custom today and got the engine light, Service 4wd and a front collision error all within the first 20 miles of the car being used. Drove it right back to the dealership and sat there an hour and a half until they said they fixed it then went to drive home and within 2 minutes all the errors were back. Brought it right back to the dealer and left it there. I traded in my jeep so now I have no car because one that I bought 8 hours ago has been in the shop twice already.. Can't even make this stuff up. 

Edited by Jwheels9876
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Jwheels9876 said:

How's this one, I picked my new Silverado 1500 custom today and got the engine light, Service 4wd and a front collision error all within the first 20 miles of the car being used. Drove it right back to the dealership and sat there an hour and a half until they said they fixed it then went to drive home and within 2 minutes all the errors were back. Brought it right back to the dealer and left it there. I traded in my jeep so now I have no car because one that I bought 8 hours ago has been in the shop twice already.. Can't even make this stuff up. 

You ought to have been given a rental.