Considering purchasing a high mileage 2014 Sierra Denali 6.2. Should I?

Hey guys,

I'm considering purchasing a 2014 Denali 6.2 with 157K miles. I'm on a budget of about 25K MAX but I really want a 2014+ Sierra SLT or above. I stumbled upon a 2014 Denali it has 157K miles with the 6.2L it's white/cocoa dune. The truck looks very clean and well taken care of the majority of miles must be highway. I talked the seller down to $22K and it seems to be the cheapest Denali I can find. I've found some SLTs for about the same price. 

Should there be much of a concern or do these trucks hold up well with high miles? I'm guessing the AFM lifters would be a concern. 

FWIW I had a 2010 Sierra 5.3 and the lifters took a dump at 150Kish I fixed it then sold the truck due to rust issues and picked up a 2009 Denali I loved that truck but had to sell it when I moved. It also had high miles and had ZERO issues so I didn't know how the next gen holds up. I would consider another GMT900 but I like the look of the newer model so much more.

Thanks!  

Edited by Z06_Mike

Almost 3 years ago I bought my 2014 High Country 6.2. I paid around 26k and it had about 110k miles if I remember correctly. 

It has been an extremely reliable pickup.

i have 137k on it now. When I bought it I did all the fluids ( both diffs, trans filter &fluid, transfer case) I did replace the radiator and thermostat due to the factory issue as seen on this forum for  the 14’s. No real issues and runs and drive great!

22 is an ok price. I know when I was thinking about selling mine ( about 6k in aftermarket stuff) I was going to asking 29k private sale.

I don’t mind wrenching on my own stuff, so I don’t mind buying higher mileage vehicles at a good price. If I have to work on them I saved enough in the up front purchase to work on them. 

Some people love the peace of mind with warranty, but I do mods that void it anyway, so I buy used.

Many used trucks out there without such high mileage. Being a first year introduced model/engine/transmission and such high mileage..... I’d keep my distance from it especially being that you’re on a budget, your not going to be happy once it starts to break down. I ran out and bought the 14 Z71 CC 5.3 as soon as it came out, wasn’t happy with it, had multiple issues. I’d stick to something with much lower miles and make sure you can afford any future known issues with that model. Good luck

Sent from above

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Z06_Mike said:

Hey guys,

I'm considering purchasing a 2014 Denali 6.2 with 157K miles. I'm on a budget of about 25K MAX but I really want a 2014+ Sierra SLT or above. I stumbled upon a 2014 Denali it has 157K miles with the 6.2L it's white/cocoa dune. The truck looks very clean and well taken care of the majority of miles must be highway. I talked the seller down to $22K and it seems to be the cheapest Denali I can find. I've found some SLTs for about the same price. 

Should there be much of a concern or do these trucks hold up well with high miles? I'm guessing the AFM lifters would be a concern. 

FWIW I had a 2010 Sierra 5.3 and the lifters took a dump at 150Kish I fixed it then sold the truck due to rust issues and picked up a 2009 Denali I loved that truck but had to sell it when I moved. It also had high miles and had ZERO issues so I didn't know how the next gen holds up. I would consider another GMT900 but I like the look of the newer model so much more.

Thanks!  

You can do better on price with lower miles...keep looking!  Don't get a 900 series..K2 is far,far better like 100%

Have you thought of leasing one, could be something that’ll help you on your payment and at least you can lease it a few years until you can finance a newer one. Zero repair costs just make sure to add higher mileage onto your lease it’s cheaper this way versus turning it in with mileage overage. Check your local listings, always great deals going on with zero down. Besides, wouldn’t you rather have a new truck instead of an old one with really high mileage and most likely paying the same on a lease as you would that old old old old truck?

Sent from above

14 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

Have you thought of leasing one, could be something that’ll help you on your payment and at least you can lease it a few years until you can finance a newer one. Zero repair costs just make sure to add higher mileage onto your lease it’s cheaper this way versus turning it in with mileage overage. Check your local listings, always great deals going on with zero down. Besides, wouldn’t you rather have a new truck instead of an old one with really high mileage and most likely paying the same on a lease as you would that old old old old truck?

Sent from above

I checked with three dealers here about leasing an 18 and they are all high. They say they don't lease in oklahoma all three quoted me at $800+ a month payments. 

I checked with three dealers here about leasing an 18 and they are all high. They say they don't lease in oklahoma all three quoted me at $800+ a month payments. 

They’re BS! If just needing a truck I’d check with all makes, you’re not going to keep it, just a tool to get the job done. Check with Ford and Dodge too. Check with other dealerships and the manufacturer website.

Sent from above

9 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

Being a first year introduced model/engine/transmission 

The 6L80 in the 2014's came out in 2007.  First year for the engine, but not really any '14 specific issues with the 6.2L.  Now other items (accessories, vacuum pumps, etc.) had all sorts of issues that continued to be sorted through the years.

As for leasing, I considered this when buying mine.  I found most of the lease rates poor on well optioned trucks throughout the brands, typically because the incentives always applied to purchases.  I was only willing to do it with the right money factor, residual and purchase price, which never worked out on a lease unless it was optioned like a work truck.  

Hey guys,

Thanks!  

I don’t believe the 14 6.2s we’re cylinder deactivation yet. Something to check out and one less worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have bought used vehicles all my life. 

Too many miles unless the maintenance records from a dealer/shop or receipts are available.

I would buy a lower optioned truck with less miles if you must stick to that budget.

Keep looking.

:)

• Like 1