Anyone have frame rust yet? I do!

Just bought the truck a few weeks ago. I went to install side steps and I found some rust issues. Truck has a production date of 1/19 so its literally only a few months old and had only been on the lot for a month. Dealer says they are going to submit the pictures and see if GM will do anything. Truck is a custom trail boss.  There are plenty of spots doing this on the truck but these were the easiest ones to take pictures of. 

4.thumb.jpg.0f4e8d9959ba8da6b572864e6a87f203.jpg3.thumb.jpg.10af58585ea718fb685430d20f682537.jpg5.thumb.jpg.db6e75112a3c6ef07d32f69c7f3edc93.jpg2.thumb.jpg.f617e6937d15ca1fc822960d44d84a34.jpg

I know you hate to see any rust on a brand-new truck, but those little spots aren't really any concern.  20 years ago, GM used to ship new vehicles with everything underneath already rusty.  And my 10 year old Silverado wasn't as good as yours underneath when new, but it sure is orange everywhere underneath now.  Still solid metal, no structural damage, mind you, just surface rust everywhere.  Looks bad.  End result of poor or nonexistent factory coatings combined with salt brine sprayed everywhere on the roads here in the winter.  

2 minutes ago, HondaHawkGT said:

It's caused by the wax coating drying out and turning hard or brittle. My 2014 doesn't look that bad but I went a different route on protecting the frame.

Just traded off a 16 that didn't have a spot of rust on the frame.  

I saw several tucks new on the lot that had little spots of rust like the OP. Most of them were 3 Vin Mexico trucks. Mine was a 1 Vin and didn't have a spot anywhere.

I had the dealer undercoat the frame and will probably take it to Krown for a spray before they start salting the roads this fall.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Touch it up and move on. Not really worth involving a dealer unless the coating is sheeting off.

https://www.daubertchemical.com/store/product-list/corrosion-prevention/nox-rust-x-121b

Not unheard of to have superficial rust like that where the coating is thin around the holes and edges. I had to recoat my 19 and my 16 in those same spots. The nice thing is you’re seeing it early, so it’ll end there. Just go down occasionally and touch it up.

I mentioned my rusty frame to the dealer when I took it in before my 3 year warranty ran out. They offered to re-coat it for me. It was a vast improvement and still looks better than before, though I have already acquired new rust in the past 10 months. Its just what happens. Surface rust won't kill you, these frame will last as long as the truck's electrical components at least. GM doesn't want to make a vehicle that lasts 50 years, they want you back in the showroom in under 5 years.

see my photos below: 

These wax dipped frames just don't hold up, never have and never will. Those without problems i bet do not live in the rust belt of this country.

Though i will say Shamrock do you live by the ocean or have you driven that truck in salt water because that is something more than just road salt imo. I have almost 5 winter seasons with my truck in massachusetts and yes we use that prespray crap they now use that literally eats metal and it does not look even 1/10th as bad as yours. Your truck looks like it sat in salt water for a couple days and then was left uncleaned.