Trail Boss MPG Competition

21 hours ago, TrailDemon said:

Hey guys, I’m new here and in the truck world.

So I usually use only premium fuel on cars but since the truck can take 89 oct I used at times. The other days did small test with MPG.  I run the tank almost Empty on 93oct & added $20 on 93oct ( it gave me 108mpg).  Next I run the fuel tank to same level as before & added $20 on 89oct ( it gave me 140mpg).  I know cheaper gas burns quicker but isn’t odd that cheaper gas gave me more MPG? 

And today on full tank on 89oct I finally got 21mpg lol

E0F56DAF-9C1D-44AA-B94B-76E594F42F7D.jpeg

89 is cheaper than 93 so when you put $20 for both the 89 gives you more fuel.

On 5/6/2019 at 10:26 AM, ShamrockShooter said:

I'm running stock duratacs load range c. I consider them "mud tires". No doubt could do better with highway tires.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I wish they had more C-options across the the tire brands, seems it's either P or E.

Even though you consider them mud tires it is a completely different class and act as such. It is a hybrid AT (an AT tread and MT like sidewalls). If they were mud tires you would hear them and winter traction wouldn't be very good with the exception to deep snow; where the duratracs are pretty good in snow. With an actual mud tire you would probably be down another .5 - 1 mpg. 

AT

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-all-terrain-adventure

Hybrid

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-duratrac

MT

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-mtr-kevlar

Tyler

• Like 1

On 5/7/2019 at 7:13 AM, Gagliano7 said:

89 is cheaper than 93 so when you put $20 for both the 89 gives you more fuel.

Lol, that was a dumb story haha

Edited by TrailDemon

18 hours ago, amxguy1970 said:

I wish they had more C-options across the the tire brands, seems it's either P or E.

Even though you consider them mud tires it is a completely different class and act as such. It is a hybrid AT (an AT tread and MT like sidewalls). If they were mud tires you would hear them and winter traction wouldn't be very good with the exception to deep snow; where the duratracs are pretty good in snow. With an actual mud tire you would probably be down another .5 - 1 mpg. 

AT

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-all-terrain-adventure

Hybrid

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-duratrac

MT

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-mtr-kevlar

Tyler

P is not a load range, it is a tire group for Passenger vehicles. They are typically made in a standard load range, but can specify light load by an LL code following the size, or XL for extra load.

Load ratings such as C ,D ,F are ply ratings for LT class tires (light truck). 

P-rated (passenger) tires are very inadequate for trucks unless you stick to the pavement and don't have much for a payload. The only reason GM uses them on trucks if to get the corporate fuel mileage as low as possible. You will lose 2mpg from a factory P rated SRA to a same size LT E-load. Most 20" tires are 10ply or E load rating just because the sidewall needs 10 plys to support the smaller sidewall. 

I went to a LT rated 33" E load on my 6.2L and lost 4mpg,  6mpg according to the DIC. Each tire is larger and weighs about 20lbs more than the factory tires. 

Back to the comment on DIC mpg accuracy. Just filled up 375 mile tank of mixed driving in my trail boss. DIC was 18.4, hand calc (2 click tfl method) was 18.3. so pretty much every tank so far has been within 0.1 mpg of DIC.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, ShamrockShooter said:

Back to the comment on DIC mpg accuracy. Just filled up 375 mile tank of mixed driving in my trail boss. DIC was 18.4, hand calc (2 click tfl method) was 18.3. so pretty much every tank so far has been within 0.1 mpg of DIC.

Yeah, TFL did 2 videos on this. Each time the Silverado was within .1 of the DIC on hand calculations. 

• Like 1

On 06/05/2019 at 10:43 AM, econometrics said:

I'm at a 16.5 lifetime average on it with 1500 miles, and the majority of my driving is a 15 mile round-trip commute on 45mph roads with about 7 stoplights (that I constantly seem to hit reds on, ugh). 

I guess that's where the auto start stop chips in to do its part for your fuel economy. 

21 minutes ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

I guess that's where the auto start stop chips in to do its part for your fuel economy. 

I usually disable it when I start the truck. Probably at least 80% of the time. 

I actually don't mind using stop-start, but I find that a lot of my stops are really short. I don't like sitting at a stop sign for 3-4 seconds and having my truck stop, then re-fire only seconds later. Seems needless. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, econometrics said:

I usually disable it when I start the truck. Probably at least 80% of the time. 

I actually don't mind using stop-start, but I find that a lot of my stops are really short. I don't like sitting at a stop sign for 3-4 seconds and having my truck stop, then re-fire only seconds later. Seems needless. 

Yeah, that seems silly. Most of my stops are at relatively long lights so I'd probably leave it enabled if I had it. 

1 minute ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

Yeah, that seems silly. Most of my stops are at relatively long lights so I'd probably leave it enabled if I had it. 

I read somewhere on here that some vehicle brands set the stop-start to be overridden when you have your turn signal on. I wish GM did that. I would leave it on a lot more if that were the case. 

• Like 1

On 5/6/2019 at 10:23 AM, Grumpy Bear said:

My DIC is 'happy' and ranges 5% to 12% per tank but is 8.3% over the truth by a 36 tank composite. Wife's GMC isn't even close and off by some 30%. My Buick will be dead on for a few tanks IF I'm traveling tank after tank but then misses by 3 to 4 mpg over interrupted tanks and both ways. :sigh:

Grumpy, do you do a lot of remote starts to warm it up? I can't believe you average 8% off of hand calc mileage. That means your DIC is routinely between 1-2 mpg high.

I have been hand checking most of my tanks since reading about the inaccuracies of our truck models 2 years ago. I have found that mine is almost always within .5 mpg, (about 2.5%) or better. I'd say usually its better than that. I don't chart the DIC readings, only my actual calculated numbers.

There must be some reason why yours is giving such wacky numbers.

I did 130 miles tonight with my RST. A bit of rolling interstate at first, but then pretty flat and no tailwinds. 

19.8mph on the DIC going 80mph about 80 of those 130 miles, then 70-75mph the rest of the way. ????

On 5/16/2019 at 10:58 PM, econometrics said:

I did 130 miles tonight with my RST. A bit of rolling interstate at first, but then pretty flat and no tailwinds. 

19.8mph on the DIC going 80mph about 80 of those 130 miles, then 70-75mph the rest of the way. ????

I managed 24.2 on a 40 mile run at 60-65 MPH (flat terrain but lots of previous speed traps). So far the DIC estimate is within .5 mpg of the computer calculated value. My 2014 was equally accurate.

I don't get you guys as you seem to feel more MPG is better.  I think I "win" as I'm getting just under 10 mpg over the last 2,135 miles.  And yes, I'm talking about my stock AT4, not the car in my Avatar as that gets 3.9 MPG, on a road course.  The red car drains the tank dry in about 42 minutes on track running slicks.  I drive different than some and am VERY proud of my carbon footprint.  The lower the MPG the better!!!