Winter Returned

diyer2

48 this morning. Rain, hail yesterday afternoon.  2 big storms recently and I'm doing erosion repair around the house. 

Not complaining. 

DSCF0487.JPG

• Like 2

I live in Florida, it just rains all the time, lately, 6" in the last 3 days.
My lawn is happy, though ...
And, now, hurricane season is getting to max though nothing yet.
It's the lightning and the thunder which is ever pervasive.
I prefer Summer, hate Winter, even in Florida and I grew up in Southern Michigan.
Kinda same summer in August, humidity, etc, but brutal Winters.
I don't miss Winter after 40 years in Florida but I loved it when I lived up north.
Go figure.

• Like 1

Just Sayin.

I grew up in Ohio and Michigan. I will not live where the humidity is high. Mold I can live without. Lived in California and got bored with weather. Same thing day in day out. 

There are times in winter I'm not exited about plowing snow or the cold. But It's worth it to us for the rural mountain lifestyle. Wild life, no neighbors and views every where we go. We hear an emergency or LEO vehicle siren about 2 times a year. Love it. Don't miss the daily sirens we used to have in the city. 

Michigander's go to Florida. I have relatives who retired in Florida. 

• Like 1

91 F here today with a 'Feels Like" of 106 F.

Humidity is hovering 70%.

We have a breeze or this would be a tough day. 

I use to live in El Paso where 115 F actual was not out of the question.

Worked outside about half the time then rotate indoors to the control room.

I was  younger then and the humidity was like 8 to 15%.

Yea, yea, it's a dry heat but 115 F is still HOT.

Burn your feet right through your boots

DO NOT sit on that fiberglass bench at the smoking post while the sun is up 😉 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

73 deg. - 16% humidity, overcast. 50 this morning. 

Made it to 111F and now we are headed to the basement again in a few minutes. Going to be another rough night. We had one tornado pass 3 miles south and another a mile north of us last night. No drought going on here. At least the pumps are working well this year 😉 

• Sad 1

46 this morning. Rain storm yesterday afternoon. Boiler zone for basement came on this morning. Set to 67 degrees. I leave all the boiler zones set to 67 in summer for wifey.

Our subdivision receives propane bids from 4 companies for the winter season. You sign up for the entire season at a fixed price. Ferrell gas is always the cheapest. This winter will be the highest price per gallon we have paid in 5 years here. Price is directly related to gasoline prices. Doing the math I figure our propane cost for the winter season will run $400-$600 more this winter season. Depends on temperatures. 

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, diyer2 said:

46 this morning. Rain storm yesterday afternoon. Boiler zone for basement came on this morning. Set to 67 degrees. I leave all the boiler zones set to 67 in summer for wifey.

Our subdivision receives propane bids from 4 companies for the winter season. You sign up for the entire season at a fixed price. Ferrell gas is always the cheapest. This winter will be the highest price per gallon we have paid in 5 years here. Price is directly related to gasoline prices. Doing the math I figure our propane cost for the winter season will run $400-$600 more this winter season. Depends on temperatures. 

I live in North Central Florida, in a house built in 1907. My heating bill for a typical winter - lows in the 40s to sometimes 30s and 20s, highs in the 70s - sometimes 80s or 60s or 50s.
My monthly heating bill is about $300. multiply that by 3.5, well $1,050 isn't rare.
If we transplanted my house to the Colorado mountains, I shudder to think of the bill! :D
I don't even want to get into AC costs during our summers!
Still, Spring and Fall, it's almost nothing - 30 bucks a month for my water heater in the summer and $0 AC added to my electric bill during the winter so, overall, I suppose, it's tolerable - either that or move out of my downtown historic district home which I really don't want to do. :)

Edited by MikeBMW

40 years ago I moved to Texas. The first couple of winters we had historic freezes. Pipes bursting all over. Never had a problem with electricity. This year another historic freeze. I was lucky only rolling blackouts every couple hours. Other people lost electricity for days. The difference a percentage of electricity is produced from windmills and solar panels. They failed. Progress. Electric vehicles, ok.

1 minute ago, JimCost2014 said:

I see you were typing numbers as they popped into your head🤔😬

LOL! Yeah, the weather here can be crazy.
A few Winters ago, I had a friend come down from up Nort' and she had the opportunity, over Christmas and New years, to enjoy 85 degree days and low 60s nights, the entire time.
Still, I've had experience with 17 degree mornings in the Winter as well as 105 degree days in the Summer.
It's a crap shoot so I just started from memory trying to put in numbers that are a "normal" range. :D

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MikeBMW said:

LOL! Yeah, the weather here can be crazy.
A few Winters ago, I had a friend come down from up Nort' and she had the opportunity, over Christmas and New years, to enjoy 85 degree days and low 60s nights, the entire time.
Still, I've had experience with 17 degree mornings in the Winter as well as 105 degree days in the Summer.
It's a crap shoot so I just started from memory trying to put in numbers that are a "normal" range. :D

Kind of sounds like the weather we get in Washington (west side of the Cascades), without really bad storms.

Eastern Washington has more traditional seasons, hot hot summers, and a lot of snow in the winter, on the good side WW, we see a little bit of everything, usually in excess. If it snows, we will see a couple of feet, but it will be in a 2 - 5 day time frame, then gone for the year. Just shuts down the whole region, and you really never know what month during winter or early spring it will hit.

• Like 1