Ranch hand with park assist.. fail.

Have had my truck 2 weeks now, and have rigged it out for work with a Decked unit in the bed, 60gal aux tank, luverne grip steps, and a ranch hand legend grille guard. Initially the outfitters put the wrong guard on it, so they ordered me the one for trucks with park assist and now that it is on, I get intermittent full blown "DUDE YOU'RE HITTING SOMETHING RIGHT THIS SECOND!!" warnings from the two middle sensors. It never fails it's when I'm sitting at a stop light expecting it the least and it scares the hell out of me, annoys during phone calls (im on the phone a lot while driving for work), and just... screw that. Anyone else have this issue resolved?

15 hours ago, gearheadesw said:

Can you turn it off?

Of course I can. I don't like having features rendered useless in my vehicles though. If i wanted a base model i would've bought a wt. lol.. I can get by without it, but if it's there, i want it to work. My wife also drives my trucks from time to time

• Like 1

I actually decided to bypass the outfitter i used and call Ranch Hand directly. Explained the situation to them, and the lady is apparently sending me two "covers" for the middle sensors. I think this is going to actually disable to park assist system as well though. Asinine.

She did say to call back if it didn't work and we would move on to the next step.

In my experience these issues are generally caused by installer error. Not trying to be disrespectful if you were the installer.

I have had to fidget around with a couple of different trucks rotating them slightly in either direction until the beeping stops. Now when I do a new install (I am not a professional but I do put bumpers on most of my stuff) I mark the orientation and take pics so that I can put them in the bumper in the exact same orientation.

Give rang hand a call. They may have some pointers too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, killemawlL5P said:

I actually decided to bypass the outfitter i used and call Ranch Hand directly. Explained the situation to them, and the lady is apparently sending me two "covers" for the middle sensors. I think this is going to actually disable to park assist system as well though. Asinine.

She did say to call back if it didn't work and we would move on to the next step.

I guess my question on a return call would be,

How would "covering" the sensor not set it off full time? That fix makes no sense at all.

6 hours ago, killemawlL5P said:

Of course I can. I don't like having features rendered useless in my vehicles though. If i wanted a base model i would've bought a wt. lol.. I can get by without it, but if it's there, i want it to work. My wife also drives my trucks from time to time

Totally, completely understand. Some good pointers offered by Dock Rocker, might get it to work better, and see if Ranch Hand has something besides rendering it useless.

On 5/24/2019 at 8:35 AM, Dock Rocker said:

In my experience these issues are generally caused by installer error. Not trying to be disrespectful if you were the installer.

I have had to fidget around with a couple of different trucks rotating them slightly in either direction until the beeping stops. Now when I do a new install (I am not a professional but I do put bumpers on most of my stuff) I mark the orientation and take pics so that I can put them in the bumper in the exact same orientation.

Give rang hand a call. They may have some pointers too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is just a grille guard though, not an entire bumper replacement. I doubt i'd be having this problem if I'd done a replacement.

On 5/24/2019 at 10:31 AM, JimCost2014 said:

I guess my question on a return call would be,

How would "covering" the sensor not set it off full time? That fix makes no sense at all.

I definitely agree, seems counterproductive.

On ‎2019‎-‎05‎-‎23 at 7:27 AM, killemawlL5P said:

Have had my truck 2 weeks now, and have rigged it out for work with a Decked unit in the bed, 60gal aux tank, luverne grip steps, and a ranch hand legend grille guard. Initially the outfitters put the wrong guard on it, so they ordered me the one for trucks with park assist and now that it is on, I get intermittent full blown "DUDE YOU'RE HITTING SOMETHING RIGHT THIS SECOND!!" warnings from the two middle sensors. It never fails it's when I'm sitting at a stop light expecting it the least and it scares the hell out of me, annoys during phone calls (im on the phone a lot while driving for work), and just... screw that. Anyone else have this issue resolved?

I really like the sounds of the modifications to your truck.  Pictures?  Why not have your installer fix the problem?  Maybe the lessons they learn from fixing your truck will at least benefit the next guy!  

My Ranch Hand is a replacement and sometimes one of the sensors will "fall out" of the hole in the bump and start going off, it has always been the right front one.  I've put it back in about 10 times over the past couple of months not sure if that is what yours is doing or not.  Also I have read that they may go off at times due to another sensor being near by such as a car or truck in front of you or even one in the other lane, wish I had better answers but I am still working to figure mine out also.  :jester:

On 5/27/2019 at 12:01 PM, Donstar said:

I really like the sounds of the modifications to your truck.  Pictures?  Why not have your installer fix the problem?  Maybe the lessons they learn from fixing your truck will at least benefit the next guy!  

I'm going to have to go through and resize most of my pictures that I've taken due to limitations per post, and honestly, the outfitter that put the grill guard on has been less than accommodating lol. Their response was basically: "Well sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Not much we can really do about it."

On 5/27/2019 at 8:03 PM, doverarjim said:

My Ranch Hand is a replacement and sometimes one of the sensors will "fall out" of the hole in the bump and start going off, it has always been the right front one.  I've put it back in about 10 times over the past couple of months not sure if that is what yours is doing or not.  Also I have read that they may go off at times due to another sensor being near by such as a car or truck in front of you or even one in the other lane, wish I had better answers but I am still working to figure mine out also.  :jester:

This isn't the case with mine. I only have a grille guard, not full replacement. For now anyway. If this headache keeps up, I'm going to see what i can do about getting a discounted replacement through RanchHand, considering their product essentially sucks for trucks with park assist.