Just took a 19 AT4 for a test ride , few questions ...

Hello ,  I just took a test drive in a 19 AT4 . First off I really like this pickup , looks great , interior is nice , stereo blows the Ford Sony out of the water  . Only thing I did not like at all was the ride at HWY speeds , the AT4 has 18" wheels and I think Duratracs ? Anyway the ride was really floaty and seemed rather unstable at 70mph . Is this due to the tires ? The Ford I am currently driving is a 16 Lariat with 20" BFG KO2's and Fox coilovers and its night and day .I get the coilovers improved the Ford but I still think the AT4 should be better ?  Would the AT4 w/20's and different tires make it more stable ride ? I would have purchased on the spot but teh ride kept me from doing so . Sales rep said they getting another one with 20's in and will call me when available . One last thing , I had a 14 Denali and a 15  AT that both had tranny issues , the 10spd shifted like a dream . 

Yeah, I would check the tire pressure. My RST was 40psi all the way around in my 275/20R when I got it from the dealer. Specs are 32F/35R on them. 

Also, the Rancho shocks have a very mixed reputation on here. The AT4 Ranchos are monotube. My RST Ranchos are twin-tube, and they are terrible. Floaty is an accurate description of their performance at higher speeds. 

If you're coming from coil-over Fox shocks on an F-150, you're definitely downgrading in shocks with the AT4, IMO. 

Edited by econometrics

Duratracs have some floatyness that will go away about 1000-1500 miles into driving on them.  You could play with pressures, but the tread design and its openness are what contribute to the float.  Drive an AT4 with 20"s and it will be different.     

New truck with new tires are so slick and the car wash dude there probably got overspray tire shine on them so they need some road time. Psi was probably way to high and with no weight in the back you were riding balloons. I’m not a fan of any stock suspension, Basically The truck is set up for older people to enjoy the truck too. If it’s not comfortable the old boys paying 75k are not gonna ride it so they try to  compensate and give it the old school float feel haha

I drove a at crew at the dealer on 20's it was fine, salesman new i really want tge 6.2/10spd because of my current issues with my 16, ,he gave me a dbl cab 6.2 truck to drive i wasnt a half mile down the road and hated the feel of the duratracs, most likely u expirenced the rough ride of the duratracs

The Ranchos are most likely the culprit for your floating test drive feedback.

I have been and always will be against them. They are pogo sticks.

The rebound is too high and compression too low.

When news of the AT4 and TrailBoss packages came out featuring the Ranchos, I cringed.

GM surely could have offered something a bit better from the factory on a 60K plus "Off Road"

packaged truck.

Gone are the days when the GM Z71 packages came with Bilstein Absorbers.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

The Ranchos are most likely the culprit for your floating test drive feedback.

I have been and always will be against them. They are pogo sticks.

The rebound is too high and compression too low.

When news of the AT4 and TrailBoss packages came out featuring the Ranchos, I cringed.

GM surely could have offered something a bit better from the factory on a 60K plus "Off Road"

packaged truck.

Gone are the days when the GM Z71 packages came with Bilstein Absorbers.

I agree. All new truck you think they throw a all new set of shocks on their “off-road” model and mabe even a different set up on their Rst. Rancho shocks are nothing special they have Been on trucks off the lot over 10 years now. Obviously it’s to keep price down. But anybody that cares that much will just swap it out for a aftermarket setup. Same reason why I’m getting a RST I’ll throw my own lift and wheels on after i buy it. I wanted a TB when they 1st announced it but I figured what’s the point it’s gonna get swapped out anyways?

Edited by Inline6DirtyMaxRST
  • Like 1

I feel the same about the floatiness. (if that's a word) and pogo effect.

I have the AT4 with Duratracs. I run them at 40-41 psi. They have a much softer sidewall than the KO2's (my next tire)

The Ranchos can't compare to the Fox Shox. Bilsteins are on my short list. The ride got a little better when I drove them for a while.

I went with the 18's instead of the 20's cause I liked the wheels better. Don't plan on getting new rims.

• Like 2

I have a 18 dbl cab with duratracs 18's and mine handles and rides great. The one thing bad about the duratracs is wet roads. With the 6.2 they loose traction easy on takeoff on wet roads. I have 37 lbs in mine.