GM Partners With Michelin On Airless Tire Technology - Plans Sales by 2024

Gorehamj

PrototypeWheels04.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
6-4-2019

GM has developed a partnership with Michelin to develop airless tire and wheel technology. GM plans to begin testing the Michelin “Unique Puncture-proof Tire System,” dubbed Uptis, on a fleet of Chevy Bolts this year. Furthermore, GM says that it will be ready to begin volume sales by 2024. 

“General Motors is excited about the possibilities that Uptis presents, and we are thrilled to collaborate with Michelin on this breakthrough technology,” said Steve Kiefer, senior vice president, Global Purchasing and Supply Chain, General Motors. “Uptis is an ideal fit for propelling the automotive industry into the future and a great example of how our customers benefit when we collaborate and innovate with our supplier partners.”

PrototypeWheels11.JPG

This technology has been around for a decade and is used on some commercial construction vehicles, like Bobcats. GM sees the following benefits to the technology:

-Reduces the number of punctured or damaged tires that are scrapped before reaching the end of their life cycle.
-Reduces the use of raw materials, energy for production and emissions linked to the manufacture of spare tires and replacement tires that are no longer required.
-Lasts longer by eliminating irregular wear and tear caused by over- or under-inflation.
-Reduces dangers related to flats and blowouts.

Are we crazy, or dies this technology look perfect for off-roading?  

Would be a milestone if this technology came on vehicles from the factory :thumbs:

Perfection for certain Off-roading.... absolutely!

I am curious as to the cost difference between this type of unit and a conventional tire.

Great find John.

• Like 1

Imagine it freezing solid with that flat spot from the cars weight. You ain’t driving it with a flat spot frozen into it.

Michelin Tweel never came to market due to DOT requiring air in tires to operate on highways. 

Edited by Paintor
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sierra Dan said:

Would be a milestone if this technology came on vehicles from the factory :thumbs:

Perfection for certain Off-roading.... absolutely!

I am curious as to the cost difference between this type of unit and a conventional tire.

Great find John.

According to Michelin, on the ground at the introduction event: Not yet for off road vehicles. Second, the tire is supported top-down, not bottom-up as is a conventional tire.

Another great idea on paper.  Works great on the computer, and on the test tracks in perfect climates with freshly paved tarmac. 

Meanwhile, in the real world, where we daily have to drive for miles on a rough dirt/gravel road to just get to a paved county road full of potholes, through snow drifts and across low-water bridges with 8 inches of water (or more) running across them, we just can't wait until snow/ice/mud/gravel get stuck inside all of those little slits.  Talk about your can't-get-rid-of-it, always-changing permanent Chevy shake!  I can hear a service manager's answer to the warranty claims now, "Performing as designed."

Right about now, GM is wondering how they will mandate dealer-only UPTIS rotations, to keep their service dept $ flowing, since there won't be any more TPMS.  

Edited by MaverickZ71
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would imagine these would got through extensive on/off road testing with something like millions of miles performed before they are released to the public.  Also I see less waste as these probably would be taken off and sent back to have new tread put back on. 

My analytical mind has to ponder however............   what happens when foreign objects, mud and debris enter the open vanes?

This would indeed throw off balance.

Engineers have hopefully or are currently investigated this issue :rolleyes:

• Like 1