Volume Lowering When Phone Connects to Bluetooth

• 2 months later...
On 7/25/2019 at 4:16 PM, mattsvtcobra said:

Has anyone figured out the way to not have my phone volume lower all the way to its lowest setting when I turn the truck on and the phone connects to bluetooth? I messed with settings on my IphoneX, but nothing seemed to work.

Thank you!

THIS HAPPENS when an iPhone is connected through bluetooth, the iPhone defaults to the volume button on the phone, not on the radio.

In order to hear "line volume" either connect through USB cable/CarPlay OR turn the volume on your phone to its highest setting.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2019 at 1:30 PM, rbrjr1 said:

THIS HAPPENS when an iPhone is connected through bluetooth, the iPhone defaults to the volume button on the phone, not on the radio.

In order to hear "line volume" either connect through USB cable/CarPlay OR turn the volume on your phone to its highest setting.

So you want me not to use bluetooth and plug my phone in every time? If you use bluetooth, it turns down your volume every single time, to the lowest setting. No matter what.

On 10/25/2019 at 4:32 PM, mattsvtcobra said:

So you want me not to use bluetooth and plug my phone in every time? If you use bluetooth, it turns down your volume every single time, to the lowest setting. No matter what.

Thats because you leave the volume on your phone down.

the bluetooth connection doesn't have the bandwidth or the speed that the lightning connector/USB has, which is why Carplay doesn't work unless you're plugged in. (too much data to transfer over bluetooth for a "real time" experience)

16 minutes ago, rbrjr1 said:

Thats because you leave the volume on your phone down.

the bluetooth connection doesn't have the bandwidth or the speed that the lightning connector/USB has, which is why Carplay doesn't work unless you're plugged in. (too much data to transfer over bluetooth for a "real time" experience)

Sorry, We are talking 2 different things I guess. When you get in and turn the truck on, it lowers the ringer volume all the way down. Many people are complaining about this and there is no fix. Doing the "change with buttons trick" doesn't seem to work for most people.

But the bluetooth and Apple car play information you are stating is not correct. My wife's car does not need to be plugged in for Apple car play to function. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mattsvtcobra said:

Sorry, We are talking 2 different things I guess. When you get in and turn the truck on, it lowers the ringer volume all the way down. Many people are complaining about this and there is no fix. Doing the "change with buttons trick" doesn't seem to work for most people.

But the bluetooth and Apple car play information you are stating is not correct. My wife's car does not need to be plugged in for Apple car play to function. 

sorry.. good luck fixing the problem.

• 1 month later...

I have only had this 19 a couple of days but I kept missing calls and finally figured out same as these other guy that every time I drove this truck and the phone connected to Bluetooth the phone ringer volume was turned to the lowest level.

I have a theory (tongue in cheek) maybe it is OnStar punishing me because I turned down their high pressure sales pitch when I picked the truck up......... Quote "Well if you don't give me a CC number you don't get your free month of OnStar"   This might be considered a quid pro quo?   

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I personally think it does this simply for safety reasons.  My Android phone does the same thing when connected via blue tooth, it turns on a "Do not disturb" mode which mutes the ringer and notifications on the phone.  Calls do go through hands free on the truck but I miss texts, and again I think it does this so that you are not having to handle the phone while driving.  If connected to Android Auto via USB cable I get notifications when I get texts via Android Auto and it also reads them aloud if I so choose and can also reply hands free.