Muffler Delete, yes or no?

Hello this is my first post in this forum, and if this topic was already addressed please redirect me. I'm trying to figure out if a muffler delete is a good idea. I have the 6.2L 8 speed. What would be a better idea, just deleting the muffler or the muffler and the resonator. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

32 minutes ago, Joeybones said:

Why is because I got a guy who will do it for 60 bucks. I don't wanna dump $600 on the Borla exhaust I really want

Then spend a fraction of that and just buy the muffler and have it welded in. 

Muffler delete is gonna sound like shit

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jacoby said:

Then spend a fraction of that and just buy the muffler and have it welded in. 

Muffler delete is gonna sound like shit

Exactly. OP should read the multitude of threads on here about this question. One very common route is to remove the muffler and flapper and weld in a Magnaflow 12909.

3 hours ago, Mileguru said:

Exactly. OP should read the multitude of threads on here about this question. One very common route is to remove the muffler and flapper and weld in a Magnaflow 12909.

Thanks for the insight, I did try and hunt down some post for this, but the answer is usually embedded in 100 reply thread, I figured someone like you would.come along and help out. Thanks

Thanks for the insight, I did try and hunt down some post for this, but the answer is usually embedded in 100 reply thread, I figured someone like you would.come along and help out. Thanks

I did muffler delete on my 14. Trucks these days had a series of high flow cats,muffler resonator that muffle the sound. My younger self would have loved the sound. I did end up with another high flow muffler. All my vehicles don’t have to be rumblers anymore. That happens when you past 60.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to the forum @Joeybones

My recommendation would be to take advantage of an Advance Auto 20% off online coupon and order a Magnaflow 12909.  A competent exhaust shop will be able to measure and cut off your stock muffler and flapper valve.  The 12909 will weld right in place.  Deep, mellow tone at cruise and really wakes up at full throttle.  Nice sound at cold start and minimal drone/V4 chop.

Another option is a Flowmaster 53553.  That muffler will require further modifications to fit since it is not the correct offset plus it is more expensive than the 12909.  Good luck with whatever you decide.

Edited by Lgetz

The muffler and flapper were deleted on my 2015 6.2l when i bought it. It sounded decent on cold starts and could hear it a little bit while driving in town but it left a lot to be desired and it had some v4 chop when driving through the neighborhood. 

If you are looking to go custom exhaust i have a magnaflow 12587 that i had on for 1200 miles that i could sell to you cheap.

Muffler delete sounds horrendous

You do realize there’s 3 other mufflers on there, right? The resonator is basically a glass pack. The average person probably hears several different horrendous sounding exhaust daily. To the beholder it’s music. You were missing IMHO at the end of your reply.

You do realize there’s 3 other mufflers on there, right? The resonator is basically a glass pack. The average person probably hears several different horrendous sounding exhaust daily. To the beholder it’s music. You were missing IMHO at the end of your reply.

Muffler delete sounds horrendous.

Sorry, I was missing a period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Haha 1