2020 6.6L Gasser dyno pull

Wow some good numbers over a 6.0.  Plus, that power is going through a 6L90, a monster transfer case, 11.5" rear end and 20" wheels with LT275/60/20 (33").  This engine is much welcomed.  I'd be curious if running 91 or 93 would bump those slightly due to the almost 11:1 compression.  Heck even a 5.3 loves some higher octane.  6.2 is 11.5:1, the 6.6 is 10.8:1, yet the 6.6. makes 6.2 power more or less.  Going to be a good swap engine I think too.   

Edited by newdude
  • Thanks 1

On 9/10/2019 at 2:00 PM, newdude said:

Wow some good numbers over a 6.0.  Plus, that power is going through a 6L90, a monster transfer case, 11.5" rear end and 20" wheels with LT275/60/20 (33").  This engine is much welcomed.  I'd be curious if running 91 or 93 would bump those slightly due to the almost 11:1 compression.  Heck even a 5.3 loves some higher octane.  6.2 is 11.5:1, the 6.6 is 10.8:1, yet the 6.6. makes 6.2 power more or less.  Going to be a good swap engine I think too.   

What would be even better if they had made it flex fuel capable so that one could use E85 and really see what they could get out of the motor.  Actually, I am quite surprised the new 6.6 gasser is not flex fuel capable since the majority of users of that platform are commercial and government entities.  They had no problem making other GDI engines in the stable with 11+ compression ratios FF capable. 

Edited by Cowpie

10 minutes ago, Cowpie said:

What would be even better if they had made it flex fuel capable so that one could use E85 and really see what they could get out of the motor.  Actually, I am quite surprised the new 6.6 gasser is not flex fuel capable since the majority of users of that platform are commercial and government entities.  

It seems GM is going away from flex fuel.  Not sure why but sad if you ask me.  Not like they have to do much since it has been offered in the past.  Just keep it available for those of us that want to use it.  I really like using E85.

I do to.   My 2015 6.0 2500 really does a good job using the stuff. It has been on E85 exclusively for almost 3 years. The big change I noticed was with the wife's 2.4L Equinox.  Using E85 in it is like totally different motor got dropped in.  That little 11.2:1 engine really perked up with E85 and it doesn't downshift on hills nearly as much.  So, it is living on E85 exclusively also.

I realize the MPG is lower, but so is the cost.  And when we are talking about higher compression engines and a high octane fuel like E85, the only viable comparison is E85 to Premium fuel.  Premium is in the $3.04 range in my area.  E85 is $1.87.  So E85 is a over a buck cheaper.   My 2015 2500 6.0 averages (all miles) around 11-12 MPG on the stuff.  Not great, but if we compare to Premium, I would have to get over 18 MPG average (all miles).  Not going to happen.   And I bet it would play out in a similar way with the new 6.6 gasser if it was FF capable.  That motor would really be something with 100 octane E85.  

All GM would have to do to the 6.6 is some software changes in the ECM and a ethanol sensor in the fuel line.  Wouldn't cost $50 for the total package change.

Edited by Cowpie

• 2 weeks later...

I think in one of the other threads somewhere I read that the govt incentives towards CAFE standards don't incorporate flex fuel vehicles or give bonuses for them or something.  So if that's true it would make a little bit of sense from GMs perspective, obviously not ours.

• Like 1