Adding Rear camera Above Bed

I noticed on the parts guide, part 1 (2019-2021 GM Spoiler Assembly 84515395 | GMPartsDirect.com) with the whole spoiler and camera/light assembly is showing at only $129. Am I missing something here? Part 84487008 light w/cam) is $178 plus you'd need the harness. It appears this subassembly has everything except the coax extension. It's still a little more than ebay for the assembly, and I dont need the spoiler, but seems odd the whole assembly is cheaper than the individuals no? Am I missing something here? lol. 

1 hour ago, bluemonstercali said:

Is there a way to add the bed cam if I don't currently have that option. Or is it a much harder upgrade than the rear view mirror cam?

1 hour ago, mandrewbot3k said:

Much harder. From my understanding, only available if you already have the IOS at minimum with a video processor, then you'd need reprogramming by a 3rd party like MVI. Or use an aftermarket solution. 

Did you guys not read this thread?  It’s very simple. 3 parts and less than $700 and you’re golden. 

55 minutes ago, Descartian said:

Did you guys not read this thread?  It’s very simple. 3 parts and less than $700 and you’re golden. 

There are two cameras. A rear vision cam. And a bed/cargo cam. The latter is part of the infotainment system. The former is the one in discussion here. He asked about the cargo camera, which wont work with the rear mirror. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Getting ready to order parts for this Mod.

Mirror 13532977

Coax   84335461

Spoiler assembly 84487008

For the SA there are other numbers in this thread that others have used, 84515287 and 84515395. Which is the updated/correct part number for the SA?

Also mentioned is a Harness 84599550, will this be needed?

Hi, For anyone thinking about doing the swap out in their truck, I would suggest doing it!

The parts are pretty simple to find.  I would try to order the rear-brake/camera with cable assembly off of EBAY, (https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-GM-OEM-3rd-Brake-Light-Lamp-with-Camera-2019-2021-Chevy-Silverado-Sierra/264900887988?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648) you will save a few bucks doing that and probably get it a lot faster than direct through some of the GM parts houses.  You may have to order the coax harness (cable) and mirror from them, but like someone said for around $700.00 you will have what you need.

I started on the swap out last night around 6PM and ended around 8:30PM,  with a mini-break for dinner in the middle... 

Things to be aware of, the video that is mentioned in the on-going dialogues ( (1247) 2019-2021 Chevrolet Silverado / GMC Sierra Rear Camera LCD OEM Mirror - Easy Plug & Play Install! - YouTube), I strongly encourage those who are going to do this to watch it. 

You will need a good set of torque bits.  I also suggest a small tube of silicon to seal up the bolt holes for the spoiler assembly.  Also patience.  Things like the center light may be a pain for some.  Others might have issues with just getting the headliner back up.  Just take a little bit of patience during the process.

One caution, for some reason after I reassembled everything, the first time I fired up the truck I had the airbag service light and warning.  I turned the truck off let it sit for about 15 minutes or so and then tried again, and it went away.  I don't recall anyone saying they had that happen, but it might.  Just be careful.

The whole process did not take long, just a lot of screws/bolts/nuts and tight places.

I had installed the auto-dimming mirror week number two of owning the truck.  That was an easy thing to do.  Replacing that with the camera/mirror is a big upgrade.  Well worth the money for parts and well worth the time spent installing.  The you tube video explains a lot of what you will need to be aware of, just take your time and don't rush it.

If you can turn a wrench or screwdriver you should be able to do this.

Allocate about 1.5 to 2 hours tops.  The biggest time consumer is unscrewing everything and moving the headliner around enough to get to the bolts and nuts holding the spoiler in place.  Putting it back together does take time, but is not that bad... 

Well, I've had this upgrade for a while and ran into  my first issue.  I do take my truck to the car wash every now and then, and never had any issues, but this time water actually got into the camera.  Now i can't see anything other than a blurred picture.  I'm going to try to use a heat gun to see if i can dry it out some how.  Anyone have any suggestions.  In the mean time I've been looking around for the lamp and camera assembly just in case i can't get the moisture out. 

On 3/30/2021 at 2:24 PM, HiyoSilverardo_Away said:

Hi, For anyone thinking about doing the swap out in their truck, I would suggest doing it!

The parts are pretty simple to find.  I would try to order the rear-brake/camera with cable assembly off of EBAY, (https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-GM-OEM-3rd-Brake-Light-Lamp-with-Camera-2019-2021-Chevy-Silverado-Sierra/264900887988?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648) you will save a few bucks doing that and probably get it a lot faster than direct through some of the GM parts houses.  You may have to order the coax harness (cable) and mirror from them, but like someone said for around $700.00 you will have what you need.

I started on the swap out last night around 6PM and ended around 8:30PM,  with a mini-break for dinner in the middle... 

Things to be aware of, the video that is mentioned in the on-going dialogues ( (1247) 2019-2021 Chevrolet Silverado / GMC Sierra Rear Camera LCD OEM Mirror - Easy Plug & Play Install! - YouTube), I strongly encourage those who are going to do this to watch it. 

You will need a good set of torque bits.  I also suggest a small tube of silicon to seal up the bolt holes for the spoiler assembly.  Also patience.  Things like the center light may be a pain for some.  Others might have issues with just getting the headliner back up.  Just take a little bit of patience during the process.

One caution, for some reason after I reassembled everything, the first time I fired up the truck I had the airbag service light and warning.  I turned the truck off let it sit for about 15 minutes or so and then tried again, and it went away.  I don't recall anyone saying they had that happen, but it might.  Just be careful.

The whole process did not take long, just a lot of screws/bolts/nuts and tight places.

I had installed the auto-dimming mirror week number two of owning the truck.  That was an easy thing to do.  Replacing that with the camera/mirror is a big upgrade.  Well worth the money for parts and well worth the time spent installing.  The you tube video explains a lot of what you will need to be aware of, just take your time and don't rush it.

If you can turn a wrench or screwdriver you should be able to do this.

Allocate about 1.5 to 2 hours tops.  The biggest time consumer is unscrewing everything and moving the headliner around enough to get to the bolts and nuts holding the spoiler in place.  Putting it back together does take time, but is not that bad... 

Did you use the Spoiler Assembly 8447008 and if so did it come with the harness ( not the Coax )? 

2 hours ago, dennismc said:

Did you use the Spoiler Assembly 8447008 and if so did it come with the harness ( not the Coax )? 

Hi Dennismc, don't buy the spoiler alone, it no longer comes with the camera and harness installed.

You will use your own spoiler...

Here are the parts you need:

(I ordered from GM Part XPERTS, try all of the different parts distributors, the biggest difference will be the shipping cost)

13536995    Mirror Inside    $553.84    1
84335461    Cable    $28.26    1  (this is the cable that will run from the harness connection to the mirror)

GM OEM 3rd Brake Light Lamp with Camera 2019-2021 Chevy Silverado Sierra
https://www.ebay.com/itm/264900887988; $115.00

Another one is showing up on EBAY as well... 
https://www.ebay.com/itm/84487008-3rd-Brake-Light-With-Camera-and-Harness-2019-20-Sierra-Silverado-1500/233868172518?hash=item3673a11ce6:g:ir0AAOSwMONgCfwm

Let me know if you have other questions.  It was an awesome upgrade!  It has made hauling in the flat trailer or boat trailer a lot better... not constantly trying to see if everything looks ok...

Just make sure to allocate about 2 hours and take your time...

Hiyo, Thanks for the reply!

I already have the Mirror and Coax on order from Gmpartsdirect, Its the camera and harness part numbers that I need. From what I understand 84487008 does not/no longer includes the harness from reading through this thread.

Do you know if part 84515287 or 84515395 have the camera and harness? The parts schematics I've looked at  are not very clear.

7 minutes ago, dennismc said:

Hiyo, Thanks for the reply!

I already have the Mirror and Coax on order from Gmpartsdirect, Its the camera and harness part numbers that I need. From what I understand 84487008 does not/no longer includes the harness from reading through this thread.

Do you know if part 84515287 or 84515395 have the camera and harness? The parts schematics I've looked at  are not very clear.

84479945 - The harness you will need
https://www.gmpartsoutlet.net/oem-parts/gm-harness-84479945?origin=pla&gclid=CjwKCAjw9r-DBhBxEiwA9qYUpVZTZIgJjFVsTvCtVxD8K1RD85WywCBnPYCDhZmiKC95YKD8yMswDhoCQ40QAvD_BwE

https://www.gmpartsoutlet.net/oem-parts/gm-high-mount-lamp-84487008

I think you will also need the camera as well... something like: 84486910  (the third light description calls out that it is without the camera)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/19-GM-3rd-Brake-Light-CAMERA-Chevy-Silverado-GMC-Sierra-84486910-Reverse-BackUP-/284144845910

I can tell you with certainty that 84515287 replaced by 84515395, spoiler does not include the light, camera or harness.

84515395    Spoiler Assembly    $127.69    1    $127.69

I almost made that mistake... that was the reason I went with the EBAY option of the light and harness, all-in-one...

Others might be able to weight in, but I can tell you 100% certainty the spoiler does not come with the 3rdlight/camera and harness.  It is tempting to think it will and that you will save a bunch by just buying the spoiler thinking it includes everything and that you will just remove the harness and light/camera and put it on your old spoiler and then toss the primed spoiler or try to sell it.

18 hours ago, HiyoSilverardo_Away said:

84479945 - The harness you will need
https://www.gmpartsoutlet.net/oem-parts/gm-harness-84479945?origin=pla&gclid=CjwKCAjw9r-DBhBxEiwA9qYUpVZTZIgJjFVsTvCtVxD8K1RD85WywCBnPYCDhZmiKC95YKD8yMswDhoCQ40QAvD_BwE

https://www.gmpartsoutlet.net/oem-parts/gm-high-mount-lamp-84487008

I think you will also need the camera as well... something like: 84486910  (the third light description calls out that it is without the camera)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/19-GM-3rd-Brake-Light-CAMERA-Chevy-Silverado-GMC-Sierra-84486910-Reverse-BackUP-/284144845910

I can tell you with certainty that 84515287 replaced by 84515395, spoiler does not include the light, camera or harness.

84515395    Spoiler Assembly    $127.69    1    $127.69

I almost made that mistake... that was the reason I went with the EBAY option of the light and harness, all-in-one...

Others might be able to weight in, but I can tell you 100% certainty the spoiler does not come with the 3rdlight/camera and harness.  It is tempting to think it will and that you will save a bunch by just buying the spoiler thinking it includes everything and that you will just remove the harness and light/camera and put it on your old spoiler and then toss the primed spoiler or try to sell it.

After more research and checking with a GMC parts dept. the 84487008 comes as spoiler only now.

The 84515395 is the High Mount Lamp with Camera only, no spoiler. I need to double check to make sure its for the mirror and not the bed view, the description just states rear camera. This comes with no harness, so will need 84479945.

To summarize the parts needed for the mod.

Mirror 13536995

Coax   84335461

High Mount Lamp 84515395

Harness 84479945

Thanks for the for the help Hiyo!

22 hours ago, dennismc said:

After more research and checking with a GMC parts dept. the 84487008 comes as spoiler only now.

The 84515395 is the High Mount Lamp with Camera only, no spoiler. I need to double check to make sure its for the mirror and not the bed view, the description just states rear camera. This comes with no harness, so will need 84479945.

To summarize the parts needed for the mod.

Mirror 13536995

Coax   84335461

High Mount Lamp 84515395

Harness 84479945

Thanks for the for the help Hiyo!

Glad I was able to help!

Just remember take your time, keep track of the screws, don't forget some sealant/caulk for the bolts for the spoiler....

the mirror will come with the mount in a different place than expected, you may just have to move it to a better location for the power wire to reach...

Also allocate about 2 hours or so.... does not take long, just tedious work...

One of the best adds yet....  People who see it are amazed, one said, wish I had that in my Ford....  🙂

This weekend, installed the upfitter aux power switch bank... that was much more difficult than the camera/mirror...

let us know how it turns out.  Also any questions let us know...