Adding Rear camera Above Bed

5 hours ago, HoustonVol said:

These folks have a pretty good video on installation for those thinking of tackling this project. 

This video is great. Wish I had seen it before doing the install. I'm surprised they are selling their kit for $1200 though. I got my parts for right around $820. And that was a full spoiler rather than just the light assembly. 

On 7/24/2020 at 10:30 PM, Zach-91 said:

This video is great. Wish I had seen it before doing the install. I'm surprised they are selling their kit for $1200 though. I got my parts for right around $820. And that was a full spoiler rather than just the light assembly. 

I agree, 1200 is a lot for this mod.  So far I have found the stop light and spoiler on Ebay for 224 and the cable on amazon for 35.  I'm currently searching for the mirror but no luck on Ebay or amazon.  The Cadillac one is slightly cheaper but still in the 500 dollar range.  I guess I will buy the other 2 first and wait for a good camera deal or a good bonus at work.  ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2020 at 6:33 AM, Kyle's AT4 said:

Here you go. I found some camaro ones for 200 ish I just need to verify they fit2ab98192beb6a759034c55d588692fa0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

So has anyone confirmed that the Gen 1 mirrors don't work with our truck's?

Edited by Robert G
spelling

Hi , I have 2019 GMC Sierra 2500 Denali .  I was wondering if this will work for me, my mirror has OnStar built into it.

You need the new body style (2020+). Unless someone has a retrofit solution.

I got my mirror today, already have the cable, now just waiting on the spoiler with the brake light and camera.  I should get it on Monday, so I guess it will be another week before I install it.  I was tempted to get the Gen 1 mirror, but the Gen 2 mirror had more updates that include:  

• Frameless Design
  • Increased brightness adjustments, from 3 to 5
  • Zoom function
  • Tilt/position adjustment (of camera)
  • Increase in the screen and camera resolutions from 1280×240 pixels (Gen 1) to 1440×300 pixels (Gen 2)

• 3 weeks later...

So I have all the parts now.  I have a used Blazer mirror and a take off spoiler and a new cable.  Before I take the headliner down I wanted to make sure the camera works.  The mirror shows the blue screen with the camera on it but with just the camera plugged into it it is not working.  Do I need to hook up the brake light wiring for it to work or should the camera be working without the brake light wiring plugged in?  Surely I am not the only impatient one around here.  ?

10 minutes ago, lerbud said:

So I have all the parts now.  I have a used Blazer mirror and a take off spoiler and a new cable.  Before I take the headliner down I wanted to make sure the camera works.  The mirror shows the blue screen with the camera on it but with just the camera plugged into it it is not working.  Do I need to hook up the brake light wiring for it to work or should the camera be working without the brake light wiring plugged in?  Surely I am not the only impatient one around here.  ?

I tested mine before pulling the headliner. I unplugged the stock mirror so I could get power to the new mirror. I did not utilize the brake light, I simply used the new cable and tested the camera inside the take off spoiler I had, and it worked.

It's a closed system, the mirror should be blue with power, and show video when you hook up the camera. I'm not sure how the camera got power, since it looked simply like a coax cable. However, it must have power over that cable as well. I think the brake light is separate entirely. 

• Like 1

Thanks Brian.  I think the camera is bad.  I have the Blazer mirror hooked up and the long cable hooked up to the spoiler camera only and nothing.  I even put it in drive to make sure that wasnt an issue.  Thats the  bad thing about used parts.