Have You Ever Wondered Which States Have the Most 4X4-Equipped Vehicles? Here's the Answer

Gorehamj

14 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

Just curious but what prompted you to buy a 4x4 after years of driving a 2wd and have you noticed any ride quality difference along with mpg’s ?

2 different vehicles.  The 2WD was a '96 F150 and with flotation tires it could go just about anywhere but would get stuck out on the farms once in a while.  Did great during Hurricane Frances when we used it to run 60 miles during the storm to a hospital.  Yes, the GMC is better in every way but they're different of course.  We've had water over the hood and been in muck, mud, slush and sand and haven't gotten stuck yet.  

• Like 1

2 different vehicles.  The 2WD was a '96 F150 and with flotation tires it could go just about anywhere but would get stuck out on the farms once in a while.  Did great during Hurricane Frances when we used it to run 60 miles during the storm to a hospital.  Yes, the GMC is better in every way but they're different of course.  We've had water over the hood and been in muck, mud, slush and sand and haven't gotten stuck yet.  

I’ve always had a 4x4 and swear by them but they’re a bit heavier and consume a bit more fuel as well as higher maintenance which I enjoy working on oil changes myself (especially easy under a lifted truck), to stressful wondering if the shops did the job correctly.

Sent from Above
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

I’ve always had a 4x4 and swear by them but they’re a bit heavier and consume a bit more fuel as well as higher maintenance which I enjoy working on oil changes myself (especially easy under a lifted truck), to stressful wondering if the shops did the job correctly.

I'm with ya, don't like having someone else working on my autos either; but getting old so will have to make some changes when the big repairs come up.  When my transmission goes I'll probably have a mobile mechanic take it out and put it on my work bench and then put it back in when I'm done rebuilding it.  That's the plan anyway, if I live long enough! 

• Like 1

I'm with ya, don't like having someone else working on my autos either; but getting old so will have to make some changes when the big repairs come up.  When my transmission goes I'll probably have a mobile mechanic take it out and put it on my work bench and then put it back in when I'm done rebuilding it.  That's the plan anyway, if I live long enough! 

Best of luck to you and God Bless!

Sent from Above
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, SnakeEyeSS said:

In Colorado, I'm guessing 98%, at least from my time there. And they are all driving 5 mph under the speed limit, some are driven by women on the way to yoga, some by men with man buns, some are wearing a beanie, and the rest by golden retriever's, and almost always in the left lane.

naah.  It's usually some old grandma or grandpa in a Subaru or Honda CRV. 

MA wasn't on the list? I'm shocked! ?  We have Subarus, Priuses, Leafs, and those ugly misshapen hamster cars  - forget what they're called. Nissan, I think - forget the model name. If you drive a truck, you're shunned. The Boston people & the politicians they all illegally elect, still think anyone that lives west of 495 still fights Indians and shits in outhouses ... ???

I'd want a 4x4 down South just for launching a boat! Getting stuck at the ramp with everyone waiting is not a fun thing. Happens up here alot, too.

Back in the day, nobody could afford 4 wheel drive! My dad drove 2wd for decades - you just ran snow tires in the rear, and loaded the bed up with gravel, sand, or 1/4 stone. My 1st truck was a 2wd S15 with manual brakes, and manual steering. I did have the optional passenger side mirror, though. ? Somehow I managed to get around - I was too busy partying to load up the bed, or find money for good tires. Used to go up every hill sideways. Nobody could pass me, and they'd be livid by the time I crested the hill. Good times.  ??

On 9/24/2019 at 11:56 AM, amxguy1970 said:

Sounds right, it is utterly useless in most cases south of the Mason Dixon line. For some reason it seems pick ups in Texas are a higher percentage of 4wd, not sure why. I guess people just like wasting money and think it gives their image a bump up a few percentage points? 

Tyler

Tyler, The only thing I can guess about you is you don't fish, hunt, camp or go anywhere on vacation. I'm a hard core Cajun in South Louisiana and we are only 50 miles from saltwater. I laugh every time I watch some neophyte with a 2wd launch a boat at our boat landings. I have pulled more than one from the water or mud. We also have some woods and swamps that have what we call " Gumbo Mud". You will not access any of these beautiful area's with your 2wd unless you have plenty to eat and drink along with a good supply of mosquitoes dope. 

From the sound of it, you have never been off any road that is not covered with concrete or black top. You should not make such general observations with out having more road time. Take Care, Fairshake   

• Like 6

On 9/24/2019 at 11:56 AM, amxguy1970 said:

Sounds right, it is utterly useless in most cases south of the Mason Dixon line. For some reason it seems pick ups in Texas are a higher percentage of 4wd, not sure why. I guess people just like wasting money and think it gives their image a bump up a few percentage points? 

Tyler

Tyler, just because you don't ever take your truck off of the pavement, doesn't mean the rest of the south keeps theirs on blacktop...I use my 4wd way more for mud and rain than snow...if this would be a topic about who owns snow chains, your quote would be relevant...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

In Colorado, I'm guessing 98%, at least from my time there. And they are all driving 5 mph under the speed limit, some are driven by women on the way to yoga, some by men with man buns, some are wearing a beanie, and the rest by golden retriever's, and almost always in the left lane.

That is all correct! And only time they step on the gas is when you are trying to merge in ahead of one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 4 months later...

I grew up in New Jersey and my family always worked off road. We never had 4WD there. In Texas we made our living off road. Less than 1/2 my work vehicles were 4 WD. In my 40 years of working I probably engaged 4WD 1/2 of dozen times to get unstuck. Probably 10 percent of people who have them need it. That’s fine, free will. When ever the snow was still that bad in NJ we stayed home. I know if I live in buffalo I’d have it. Most people it’s a status thing, at least to them.

• Thanks 1

On 9/28/2019 at 2:58 AM, swathdiver said:

Florida here, had a 2WD pickup for years.  When I wanted a clean 4x4, I got one from West Virginia and drove it back to Florida.  Who knew West Virginia had so many 4x4s?

WV = mountains+snow+ice+farms+horses/trailers+rivers+boats/trailers/campers/hunting/fishing....depending upon where you're going, driving on concrete, asphalt, rocks, gravel, grass or dirt/mud....none of the roads are level for any great distance....and some teacups are pretty damn steep like a 7% + grade.....so you can't pull all that crap around all year with a 2WD.

GM/ Ford and Ram dealers around here don't even stock 2WD trucks and most SUVs are AWD because no one wants one axle drive. It's not how often you need it, but you need it when you really need it, and tow hooks a must, never know when you have to drag a limb or a tree off a narrow back road to get where you are going.

Edited by Thomcat
  • Thanks 1

Glad to see Colorado drop in popularity for Subarus.  They suck.  The WRXs/STis are fun sure, but long term reliability they SUCK SUCK SUCK! 
Used to be a big subie fan, then the head gaskets went out on our Forester.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk