Have You Ever Wondered Which States Have the Most 4X4-Equipped Vehicles? Here's the Answer

Gorehamj

isee cars 4x4.png

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
9-24-2019

Would you ever buy a rear-wheel drive truck? Or a front-wheel drive truck? Surprisingly, many folks do. Not by percent, but every major automaker in America offers a 2WD truck. At landscape and construction companies your author has worked at, 2WD trucks were very popular with both the workers as personal vehicles and as work trucks at the companies.

iSeeCars.com has just finished up a study looking at which states have the highest percentage of AWD and 4WD vehicles. Of course, the numbers are skewed by location. Snow and ice are big incentives to opt for a vehicle that powers all of its wheels. Not surprisingly, mountain states have the most 4x4 vehicles. “‘Montana’ translates to ‘mountain’ in Spanish and has over 100 mountain ranges within its boundaries as well as many dirt roads,” said iSeeCars CEO Phong Ly. “The state receives snow most months of the year, leaving roads snowy or icy, which helps explain why these all-weather vehicles are so popular.”

If you have a 2WD truck tell us in the comments below if you wish you had opted for 4x4 of if you are glad you made the choice you did.  

isee cars awd graphic.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, amxguy1970 said:

Sounds right, it is utterly useless in most cases south of the Mason Dixon line. For some reason it seems pick ups in Texas are a higher percentage of 4wd, not sure why. I guess people just like wasting money and think it gives their image a bump up a few percentage points? 

Tyler

Which are you saying is useless in the South - AWD or 4WD? 

3 hours ago, amxguy1970 said:

Sounds right, it is utterly useless in most cases south of the Mason Dixon line. For some reason it seems pick ups in Texas are a higher percentage of 4wd, not sure why. I guess people just like wasting money and think it gives their image a bump up a few percentage points? 

Tyler

Yep.  Some years ago, my cousin bought a 1-ton Chevy 4x4 truck (454, 4-speed)[special-ordered] just to haul a few bales of straw for his garden once a year.  In San Antonio Texas, no less, where it snows 1/4 inch every 25 years.  Of course, a lift kit, light bar, and big wheels and mud tires soon followed.  Must have been necessary in order to better navigate that urban jungle.   

My Grandpa was like: :rollin:

Edited by MaverickZ71

I see maine in there. it is never the top ten of much. :)

it is also a place that breaks 5 yr old anything. A most amazing trend has emerged with the 88-98.

I have never seen anything like it. I moved here in 1987.

I am finding welding on framing is getting to be much more relaxed. steel issues are looked at twice rather than scrapping over a dented rocker panel. So many places got spoiled apparently back in the day.

people hang onto their stuff longer than I have never seen...especially the 4x4

Edited by barry G

I have an AWD Jaguar the AWD is worthless just more expense I have never found a need for it in Oklahoma unfortunately there is no choice cant get a normal front wheel drive, before I get comments this is a GM forum I was just giving an opinion about choice and difference between 2 WD and 4 WD.In Oklahoma we do get snow and ice but a normal front wheel drive car can get through it okay rear WD not so easily hence alot of people have 4WD here also handy for going of road.

On 9/24/2019 at 8:14 PM, barry G said:

I see maine in there. it is never the top ten of much. :)

it is also a place that breaks 5 yr old anything. A most amazing trend has emerged with the 88-98.

I have never seen anything like it. I moved here in 1987.

I am finding welding on framing is getting to be much more relaxed. steel issues are looked at twice rather than scrapping over a dented rocker panel. So many places got spoiled apparently back in the day.

people hang onto their stuff longer than I have never seen...especially the 4x4

You must not read Stephen King.  More scary shit happens just outside Bangor Maine than anywhere else.  I think it takes the first 3 places as well.

• Haha 1

On 9/24/2019 at 11:56 AM, amxguy1970 said:

Tyler

Useless in the South?  Hmmm, don't go off road much or hunt or go in the backwoods much?

I went with a 2WD truck once!  Regretted  it every time I went in the woods.  I'm a hunter and getting stuck was a monthly occurrence during hunting season here in NW Florida.  Some really muddy, mucky, sandy roads around here!  

Trucks in general are a status symbol these days.  I see a lot of squeaky clean 4x4 trucks driving all over.  Not mine!  New and caked with mud constantly!!!!  Why?  Because I take it off road and have use 4x4 almost every trip into the woods. 

Edited by Praedator
  • Like 3

On 9/24/2019 at 11:55 AM, aseibel said:

How many of those AWD vehicles are Subaru's? 

https://www.iseecars.com/most-subarus-by-state-2016-study

In Colorado, I'm guessing 98%, at least from my time there. And they are all driving 5 mph under the speed limit, some are driven by women on the way to yoga, some by men with man buns, some are wearing a beanie, and the rest by golden retriever's, and almost always in the left lane.

Edited by SnakeEyeSS
  • Haha 2

Florida here, had a 2WD pickup for years.  When I wanted a clean 4x4, I got one from West Virginia and drove it back to Florida.  Who knew West Virginia had so many 4x4s?

Just curious but what prompted you to buy a 4x4 after years of driving a 2wd and have you noticed any ride quality difference along with mpg’s ?

Sent from Above