2015 Silverado 1500 Brake Stuttering

Hey folks,

I’m pretty new to the forum, so please excuse this if it’s already been mentioned.

I’m a newish driver and new truck owner, my Silverado is actually my first car. My grandfather used to be a mechanic so he’s been teaching me things here and there, but he’s stumped on this and even after all the reading I’ve done, so am I.

Since the day I bought my truck, about 6 months ago to be exact, I’ve felt this bounce within my brake pedal when stopping, typically from 30MPH and up. At times it can be so bad it will throw me forward.  My steering wheel doesn’t shake, nor do I feel any stuttering anywhere other than my brake pedal. It doesn’t happen all the time, and at times it’s MUCH worse than others. I do notice it is more likely to happen if my tires are hot or it’s extremely humid outside.

I don’t think my rotors are warped nor do I think my brake pads are thin as I can stop completely smooth at times. I tested it by going from 56mph and quickly hard braking while on pavement and coceana, and I didn’t have a problem (because I had only been driving 10 minutes and my tires were still cold I assume).

I’m pretty stumped, hopefully one of you guys will know? Thanks in advance. 

Edit: truck is a 2015 Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 V8 5.3L with 149k miles and is a Canadian model

Edited by rag0

4 hours ago, davester said:

could it be the abs system activating for some reason?

I’m not sure. I feel like it wouldn’t cause as severe as a bounce as it does, which is why I was concerned. Like I said, it will quite literally throw me forward at times. I’m gonna try and find a mechanic open this weekend and see about having my brake pads replaced and possibly if my shocks are shot, just as a safety measure. If there’s nothing wrong then it probably is just my ABS but it’s a lot , lot harsher than any other truck or SUV with ABS that I’ve driven, and my grandfather agreed with that.

A bounce in your brake pedal, and only the brake pedal is also throwing you forward?

Any sensation other than smooth in the brake pedal means that the rotors are warped. I would start with that. How old are the brake pads and rotors? If they are original, get some new ones, at the very least for the front brakes.

Now for the forward throw...

Does the Canadian model come with square wheels?

https://media.giphy.com/media/l2SqgF7dto3rI7Hqw/giphy.gif

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

My truck used to pulse the pedal and vibrate when braking. I changed the pads and rotors and it has been gone. My truck had 42k miles when I got it and it had the vibration. It's now at 110k miles and no vibs since the change in pads and rotors.