Where do I add trans fluid in 2020 2500 hd

11 hours ago, davester said:

Have you considered reading your owners manual?  It's also possible that it doesn't have a regular dipstick/fill tube, just a port that you get to when you are underneath the truck, with a special dipstick to tell you if it needs fluid or not.

He probably thought of that, and FWIW, it's not in the diesel supplement, and there is no dipstick.

This is what the 2020 diesel supplement says says. (basically the same as the regular owners manual.):

When to Check and Change
Automatic Transmission Fluid
It is usually not necessary to check the transmission fluid level. The only reason for fluid loss is a transmission leak or overheated
transmission. This vehicle is not equipped with a transmission fluid level dipstick. There is a special procedure for checking and
changing the transmission fluid in these vehicles. Because this procedure is difficult, this should be done at your dealer. Contact your dealer for additional information or refer to the service manual for the procedure. 

Change the fluid and filter at the scheduled maintenance intervals listed in Maintenance
Schedule pg 81. Be sure to use the transmission fluid listed in Recommended Fluids and Lubricants pg 85.

Apparently we need the info from the service manual.

Probably that's what the OP was hoping someone could provide. 

Sorry, I don't have the information (or a service manual to look it up)

Edited by redwngr
  • Like 2

They are designing these vehicles to eliminate anyone but the dealer servicing them. Eventually you won't be even able to change the oil, they want you to to go to the dealer for everything except fuel. 

22 hours ago, Terra Platt said:

Horrible design on tansline. Come off lost fluid where do I add back

Should have worn a better bikini...

Procedures below.  Also see pictures on next post.

Allison 10L1000:

Case Plug Method

Caution: For all 10 speed RWD transmission applications, use ONLY Dexron ® ULV transmission fluid. Failure to use the proper fluid may result in damaging the transmission internally.

Note:

• The quart containers of Dexron® ULV must be shaken to stir up the additives before pouring.
  • When the oil level check plug is removed with the engine OFF, transmission fluid may drain from the hole.

Caution: Thoroughly clean around the transmission case plug to prevent dirt or contaminants from entering the automatic transmission case during plug removal. Use compressed air to dislodge any caked dirt that may be stuck on and around the plug area. Use a mirror to confirm the area is free of dirt before removing the plug. Failure to clean around the plug may result in transmission contamination causing possible transmission internal damage.

1. Based on accessibility, transmission fluid may be added through the side automatic transmission case plug (1) hole or through the top automatic transmission case plug (2).
  2. Clean around the automatic transmission case plug (1 or 2).
  3. Determine the approximate amount of fluid needed to fill the transmission, based on the repair performed. To avoid an under-fill condition, slightly overfill the transmission, and then allow the extra fluid to drain out through the oil level check plug during the tranmission fluid level and condition check procedure. Approximate Fluid Capacities

Transmission Fluid Level and Condition Check

This procedure checks both the transmission fluid level, as well as the condition of the fluid itself. Since the transmission on this vehicle is not equipped with a fill tube and dipstick, a tube in the bottom pan is used to set the fluid level.

Warning: The transmission fluid temperature (TFT) must be between 75-80°C (167-176°F).If the TFT is lower than this temperature range, either idle or brake torque the vehicle to raise the fluid temperature. If the TFT is higher than this range, shut off the vehicle to allow the fluid to cool as required. Setting the fluid level with a TFT outside this range will result in either an over-fill or under-fill condition. If TFT is greater than 80°C = under-filled. If TFT is less than 75°C = over-filled. An under-filled transmission will cause premature component wear or damage. An over-filled transmission will cause fluid to overflow from the vent tube, possibly causing a fire that may result in serious bodily injury or severe vehicle damage, fluid foaming, or pump cavitation.

Note: This vehicle is equipped with an internal thermal bypass valve, the transmission fluid level should be checked only after the TFT has reached an operating temperature of 75°C (167°F). If the TFT has exceeded 75°C  (167°F), let cool to 75°C (167°F) then you can check the fluid level.

Caution: To obtain the required transmission temperature, set the vehicle parking brake, run converter stalls while also applying the foot brake and placing the transmission in drive gear range to heat the transmission oil. Run 10 seconds on, then 10 seconds off converter stall. Brake torque is not to exceed 1500 engine RPM’s. Failure to maintain 10 second intervals or exceeding 1500 engine RPM’s may result in transmission internal damage.

Caution: THE ENGINE MUST BE RUNNING when the trans oil level check plug is removed or excessive fluid loss will occur, resulting in an under-filled condition. An under-filled transmission will cause premature component wear or damage.

Note: Continue to monitor the TFT. If the TFT is not within the specified values, reinstall the trans oil level check plug and repeat the previous steps.

Caution: Refer to Fastener Caution.

Observe the TFT using the driver information center (DIC) or a scan tool.

Start and idle the engine.

Depress the brake pedal and move the shift lever through each gear range. Pause for at least 3 seconds in each range. Move the shift lever back to PARK. Ensure the engine RPM is low (500–800 RPM).

Allow the engine to idle for at least 1 minute.

Raise the vehicle on a hoist. The vehicle must be level, with the engine running and the shift lever in the PARK range.

Remove the transmission pan plug (1) from the transmission. Allow any fluid to drain.

If the fluid is flowing as a steady stream, wait until the fluid begins to drip.

If no fluid comes out, add fluid until fluid comes out in a steady stream and then drips out. Transmission Fluid Fill Procedure

Inspect the fluid color. The fluid should be red or dark brown.

If the fluid color is very dark or black and has a burnt odor, inspect the fluid and inside of the bottom pan for excessive metal particles or other debris. A small amount of “friction” material in the bottom pan is a “normal” condition. If large pieces and/or metal particles are noted in the fluid or bottom pan, flush the oil cooler and cooler lines and overhaul the transmission. If there are no signs of transmission internal damage noted, replace the fluid filter assembly, repair the oil cooler, and flush the cooler lines.

Fluid that is cloudy or milky or appears to be contaminated with water indicates engine coolant or water contamination. Engine Coolant/Water in Transmission

Replace the automatic transmission pan plug and tighten to 9 Y  (80 lb in).

Inspect for external leaks. Fluid Leak Diagnosis

Edited by newdude
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is the fill port with the most access.  Pass side of the case.  You need the proper Dexron ULV fluid p/n 19352619 in the US and 19352620 in Canada.  You must also shake each bottle before adding fluid.  You will need a thread on hand pump thingy too like this: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/performance-tools-fluid-oil-pump-w1139/9016678-P

1633060344_fillport.jpg.f8b3d72f446d51198908c5f6f5ccbe8b.jpg

This is the level check plug.  DO NOT OPEN IF TRUCK IS OFF! 

23537180_checkplug.jpg.c4c5384a903c69cf592b4f07b60ddabc.jpg

What I would do is fill it with the engine off from the side fill plug until it runs out of the fill hole.  Put the plug in, run it up to 167F then open check plug.  If no fluid comes out, start adding until it runs out of the hole.  Once it starts to drip put the plug in. 

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/29/2019 at 12:56 PM, Terra Platt said:

Okay guys we got it figured out yesterday. These trucks also have a fuel cooler line that runs all the way around the truck. That's where my mechanic poured trans fluid into the overflow jug. Bright side is I got new mechanic and my truck wasn't hurt

im confused they added trans fluid to your coolant?

On 10/29/2019 at 2:56 PM, Terra Platt said:

Okay guys we got it figured out yesterday. These trucks also have a fuel cooler line that runs all the way around the truck. That's where my mechanic poured trans fluid into the overflow jug. Bright side is I got new mechanic and my truck wasn't hurt

Wtf?

On 10/29/2019 at 11:01 AM, elcamino said:

They are designing these vehicles to eliminate anyone but the dealer servicing them. Eventually you won't be even able to change the oil, they want you to to go to the dealer for everything except fuel. 

Then the dealer will have to pay for everything if they eliminate everyone else from being able to service it. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Thanks Corey, Google and several parts suppliers didn't know!  When the time comes I believe I could do this maintenance.  Shouldn't be a problem monitoring temperature to get fill correct.

It’s not that hard if you need anything you can message me I have the instructions and have done mine last weekend.
  • Like 1