Performance upgrades for towing 2018 6.2

Only a shop that does performance mods can do that for you. Nobody really sells this stuff as a package deal. People buy what they want and install it, then take it to get tuned or something like that.

You'd also be paying out the ass if you can't do any of the labor yourself plus the possible mark up on costs from a shop.

Keep in mind that some of those mods will make the trucks much louder, mainly the headers/exhaust. So if towing is what you want to do alot, the exhaust drone/rasp may be something that will drive you completely insane.

Cold air intakes won't add any noticeable amount of power either, it's a show thing and for the sound. The majority of the power gained can be from headers and the tune. If you did headers and wanted to keep the exhaust tame, leave the stock cat-back system because it's really good at keeping things quiet.

Or just do a gear swap to some 4.10's along with a tune to make it a towing monster.

Edited by CamGTP

Headers would be a waste if your building a truck for towing, typically all high RPM gains from LT's unless you get shorties, not to mention around $1500 for a good set. You would be better off putting the money into the suspension as that is what these 1500's need to improve on for towing. If the 6.2L is not powerful enough for towing, your truck is too small for the load. My 6L is gutless in comparison but can tow more than my 6.2L and feels better doing it. Sway bar, helper bags, equalizer hitch is what you need to improve your towing capability, HP of the 6.2L is the furthest thing away from being the weak point of a 1500's towing capabilities. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Denali34 said:

I tow a travel trailer with mine about every other weekend when I'm camping with my family and don't even know its back there. I have Kooks long tube on mine and felt a big bottom end gain along with the Whipple.

That bottom end gain wasn't because of the long tubes. 

OP, not sure what you are trying to accomplish. The added power you seek isn't because of towing, you just want more power to go faster. If towing was what you were really after you would update the suspension, hitch, stability, etc. Long tubes will make it louder, might ruin the truck for you over long periods of time. 

Tyler

26 minutes ago, Denali34 said:

I tow a travel trailer with mine about every other weekend when I'm camping with my family and don't even know its back there. I have Kooks long tube on mine and felt a big bottom end gain along with the Whipple.

Towing.jpg

I would think the low end is all Whipple. Dyno sheets have shown a bolt on (long tube, CAI) 6.2L with no tune will net 125lb-ft of torque in the 1:1 gear at 2,000rpm. Bone stock no tune is 120lb-ft at 2,000rpm in the 1:1 gear. You can obviously net more with a tune, but header gains are there but minimal until 3,000rpm and beyond. Your truck with a whipple is probably making 250lb-ft or more at 2,000rpm. Did you ever have it dyno'd before/after so we can see the gains? 

40 minutes ago, Denali34 said:

Nice trailer! 2108DS?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Denali34 said:

Thanks! 2106DS. Fellow Winnie owner?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, huge fan.  We purchased a 2108DS in the spring of 2018 then traded it for a 2108TB in the spring of 2019.  This wasn't a great financial move but the bed layout of the TB model is much easier for this body to get out of in the morning!

Yes, huge fan.  We purchased a 2108DS in the spring of 2018 then traded it for a 2108TB in the spring of 2019.  This wasn't a great financial move but the bed layout of the TB model is much easier for this body to get out of in the morning!

Excellent. We just bought ours and love it. Easy to tow and great quality

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I sold my diesel. I have done suspension and brake upgrades.

Looking now to improve the motor towing aspects, dont want to whipple it, would of kept my diesel. Just looking to improve the towing. Thanks for the input.

Edited by dco111