1999 Sierra 1500 Transfer Case Motor Problems

I have a 1999 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4x4 5.3L, and I'm having some issues getting a new transfer case motor installed. 

A little back story, the truck has been stuck in 4WD for a while now. The selector switch didn't work, and none of the indicator lights would work. I checked fuses, checked wires, changed the selector switch, changed the TCCM, nothing fixed it. Last night I got a new transfer case motor, and now all the lights work and I can gear the motor spin when I select the buttons. 

Now the current problem. I can't seem to get the male end of the shaft to line up with the female end on the motor. I've put the truck in neutral and manually turned the shaft, I've plugged the motor in and put it in every gear, and it just doesn't seem to want to slide on. Am I doing something wrong? Is there an easier way to do this? How do I get this sucker on?

On a side note, I also noticed the new motor doesn't shift to 4HI or neutral. It'll shift to Auto, 2HI, and 4LO just fine, but when it goes to 4Hi, I hear the motor spin, but then it'll revert back to whatever it was in before. And it just won't shift to neutral at all. When I hit 2HI and 4LO and hold it, it just shifts to one or the other. Is this a related issue? Or will that change once the thing is fully installed?