2018 GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab Tire traction

Hi,

I have a 2018 GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab and I wanted to see if anyone has the same problem I am experiencing.

My Goodyear SRA Wrangler seem to have no traction control with hills and especially when the roads are wet. This has happened since I purchased it and eventually it's gonna cause a wreck especially if I accidentally pull out in front of someone and need to start driving a little faster at start than normal. It's worrisome.

Any else experiencing this?

1 hour ago, l337neteng said:

Hi,

I have a 2018 GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab and I wanted to see if anyone has the same problem I am experiencing.

My Goodyear SRA Wrangler seem to have no traction control with hills and especially when the roads are wet. This has happened since I purchased it and eventually it's gonna cause a wreck especially if I accidentally pull out in front of someone and need to start driving a little faster at start than normal. It's worrisome.

Welcome to this forum!  There is plenty of good information here!  20 years ago I owned a new 2 wd Silverado and my house  was part way down a steep hill.  The shortest way to get to my work was up the hill but I could not go this route on wet days.  (We get a lot of rain where I live)   I took my truck to Costco tire centre and replaced my oem tires with Michelin all season tires.  After the switch, my problem of unwanted slip on wet roads was eliminated.   The change was so dramatic that I made the same upgrade with my new '09 Sierra (4X4) and my new '15 (4X4) Sierra.  Oem tires are fine in ideal conditions and will give you maximum economy.  I paid extra to have the confidence to get out of my driveway 365 days a year.  On snow days I am usually out early to play!

• Like 1

GM uses the Goodyear's because they are light and you get better gas mileage with the lighter tires. Thats all they care about. I just run them for about 20,000 miles and replace with a real tire.

49 minutes ago, Donstar said:

Welcome to this forum!  There is plenty of good information here!  20 years ago I owned a new 2 wd Silverado and my house  was part way down a steep hill.  The shortest way to get to my work was up the hill but I could not go this route on wet days.  (We get a lot of rain where I live)   I took my truck to Costco tire centre and replaced my oem tires with Michelin all season tires.  After the switch, my problem of unwanted slip on wet roads was eliminated.   The change was so dramatic that I made the same upgrade with my new '09 Sierra (4X4) and my new '15 (4X4) Sierra.  Oem tires are fine in ideal conditions and will give you maximum economy.  I paid extra to have the confidence to get out of my driveway 365 days a year.  On snow days I am usually out early to play!

Same. My 2014 Sierra used to slide on wet roads. Got the Costco Michelins when Goodyears had about 35000 on them. I have over 40000 on the Michelins and at least 1/3 of tread left and haven't slid since. These tires are great!

• Like 1

My 2018 Silverado has Goodyear LS2 tires which absolutely blew on my 2008 Sierra. But 16k in and they’ve been fine so far. But I’ll be switching to something different for sure when the time comes.

I know I’m talking a different tire, but both are Goodyears and both apparently suck in bad weather.

3 hours ago, l337neteng said:

This has happened since I purchased it and eventually it's gonna cause a wreck especially if I accidentally pull out in front of someone and need to start driving a little faster at start than normal. It's worrisome.

Driving style has a lot to do with it.

• Like 2

Goodyear SRA’s are very well known throughout these forums, when it comes to traction they’re horrible tires Get rid of your stock tires and depending on your budget as well as what you’ll be using the truck for, look at

Cooper AT3’s b1098b466661ce215ea08626aa2ba30d.jpg

Cooper ATP’s
d4bebeabab8b470b1720698c6d083788.jpg

Not only do they look great and are made in the USA but both tires have excellent reviews and pricing.

If you’re doing a lot of towing, I’d stick with Michelin Defenders LTX
f0993e741c47ac7159f1919fc0ea762b.jpg

Stay away from Nitto Ridge Grapplers, mine were horrible, got rid of them with only 16k miles in them.

Sent from Above

51 minutes ago, It's Tim said:

Driving style has a lot to do with it.

I agree and was about to say something similar but Op did use the word "accidently".  I believe we all have experienced situations that in hindsight we could have exercised a little more patience or caution. ? Hopefully experience will reduce the frequency of these "accidents".   My example with my oem tires back in '00 would not be different no matter how my truck was driven!     

The SRA P rated tire is barely adequate for a minivan imo. Great mileage, because they weigh nothing. I had mine off within 4,000km of summer driving, sold them to an employee for $400. Make sure you buy a LT series tire, not a P series tire. You can get away with a C or D load if you aren't doing any crazy towing or payload moves. Unless you have 20" wheels you will need a 10 ply E load tire. 

22 hours ago, L86 All Terrain said:

Make sure you buy a LT series tire, not a P series tire. 

There are several older threads with debates on P vs LT tires on a 1500 so Op may want to do some research before considering a LT rated tire    I went for several years believing in the superior qualities of a LT  rated tire.  Now I look at them as overkill and excess unsprung weight.  The advancements in tire construction makes  the P rated tire more than ample for most 1/2 ton truck owners.  The number of cotton plies in the sidewall is a historical way to compare tires.  Look at the load rating found on the side of the tire you are considering.   Most P rated tires in your size will have a rating considerably greater than the load capacity of your truck.  I do appreciate that the additional brawn of an LT tire will provide greater confidence in extreme conditions and is the preferred choice of many.  

Edited by Donstar

On 1/9/2020 at 7:25 AM, l337neteng said:

Hi,

Yes use auto4 in the wet until you get new tires.