Texas speed, summit racing and Brian Tooley Racing all sell kits for this stuff with everything you need for the most part. Check them out for prices and such.

I won't get you part numbers as that can vary slightly but the basic parts are as follows.

New camshaft.

New cam gear if going to a 3 bolt camshaft instead of a 1 bolt.

New lifters and lifter trays.

New pushrods

New valley plate from a 4.8 truck without AFM/DoD

Head gaskets, front cover gasket, intake gaskets.

You didn't say what 6.0 camshaft either. The 2007.5+ 6.0 truck use a VVT camshaft which your truck never had so I wouldn't suggest doing one of those. If you're going to go through all the trouble of swapping cams, do the at least the smallest upgrade available for a 5.3. It'll pick up more power and still drive like normal.

Of course a custom tune is required here no matter what.

• Like 2

One thing I would add is that it is possible to swap the cam without removing the heads, but there is the risk of dropping a lifter.  I had my engine out when I did my cam so I had the heads off and swapped the lifters too.  You will also need to measure for pushrod length after the new cam is in and order new pushrods.  There is a special pushrod tool for that, but they are only $20 or so. 

12 hours ago, swathdiver said:

Cameron, you're assuming the OP has a 1500, he might have an LY6 in a 2500.  So which one do you have Matt?

Ether way adding a 6.0 cam the a 5.3 give little to no improvement over the stock cam, the specs are not to far off. While they can be picked up cheaper than an aftermarket I would go for a Summitracing truck cam over a 6.0 cam in a 5.3. You will notice little if any HP gains for the swap.

19 minutes ago, Mikebtte said:

Ether way adding a 6.0 cam the a 5.3 give little to no improvement over the stock cam, the specs are not to far off. While they can be picked up cheaper than an aftermarket I would go for a Summitracing truck cam over a 6.0 cam in a 5.3. You will notice little if any HP gains for the swap.

Ohh, I misread the post, he has a 5.3, ok.  Yes, I agree, he should select a purpose made camshaft for his application.  2008 5.3 has a single pattern camshaft that is bigger than some 6.0 cams anyway.

2 hours ago, Brian715 said:

One thing I would add is that it is possible to swap the cam without removing the heads, but there is the risk of dropping a lifter.  I had my engine out when I did my cam so I had the heads off and swapped the lifters too.  You will also need to measure for pushrod length after the new cam is in and order new pushrods.  There is a special pushrod tool for that, but they are only $20 or so. 

Yeah it is possible but only on the older 5.3 engines, he would 100% have to remove the heads in the case of swapping to a standard 6.0 cam. Any change in camshaft that isn't a AFM/DoD cam will require new non DoD Lifters.

The only camshaft that is also AFM/DoD is from the Vortec Max trucks that ran the AFM L76 6.0 from like 2007-2009.

Depending on what he goes with and so on, some of the camshafts will already tell you what length pushrods are the right size.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CamGTP said:

Yeah it is possible but only on the older 5.3 engines, he would 100% have to remove the heads in the case of swapping to a standard 6.0 cam. Any change in camshaft that isn't a AFM/DoD cam will require new non DoD Lifters.

The only camshaft that is also AFM/DoD is from the Vortec Max trucks that ran the AFM L76 6.0 from like 2007-2009.

Depending on what he goes with and so on, some of the camshafts will already tell you what length pushrods are the right size.

Gotcha. Learn something every day.