HELP! How does one drain the DEF tank? Need to empty it.

So my son and I were doing little maintenance items like adding DEF and Stanadyne and he inadvertently put about 1oz of Stanadyne in the friggin DEF tank before he caught it. I looked underneath and see sensors plugged into what I am pretty sure is the DEF tank (I followed the tubing down to it from the filler) and one towards the front (FIRST pic) looks like you can unplug the sensor and put a large wrench on it and open it but anyone know for sure? 

Thanks. Sigh...

F26173E9-5ADB-438F-97D4-0FB47BFFF54A.jpeg

BD5AABA7-35FC-4AE4-A416-79A59D4CE431.jpeg

Edited by KC Desert

7 minutes ago, Thankful said:

1 ounce of Stanadyne to 7 gallons of DEF is about 1 to 896 ratio.  I'm not sure, but such a small amount may have no effect.

Thank you for that, I did not consider the ratio but makes sense. 

I do not know how to drain it but I would not fire that engine up until someone who is an expert in this area has properly advised you on next steps. Even if it is such a small ratio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 2/9/2020 at 10:06 PM, MooseAK said:

Delete it and never have to worry about it again 

Interesting that you have made 3 posts to the forum. ( 2 of them back to back in this thread)

Every one says 'delete it'.

Edited by redwngr

• 2 months later...

Is there a way to drain DEF from a Silverado HD?  I had 1.25 gallons in a half emptied 2.5 gallon jug and an unopened 2.5 gallon jug that I put in yesterday and the mileage seems to have suffered as a result (based on the truck's information feed).  Maybe the DEF turned bad? I was at 22% DEF level when I added it.  If I can't drain it, perhaps adding another 2.5 gallons of new DEF would help?

• 1 month later...