i have an 08 chevy silverado 2500hd with the 6.6l duramax. The issue I am having is that the bolt that connects the intermediate shaft to the column shaft keeps rubbing against the bracket for the column. To resolve the issue temporarily I can reach under and collapse or push the intermediate shaft back down thus backing the bolt down and it stops temporarily. I have replaced the intermediate shaft and it has changed nothing. I have attached a photo to show what I am dealing with. The yellow arrow is the bolt that keeps rubbing on the bracket that the red arrow is pointing at. The purple arrow is the direction the shaft keeps sliding up towards the steering wheel. When it slides up it causes the steering to lock. Any help?

20200517_190459.jpg

get a metal or plastic tube that's about the right size (the tube's i.d. is about or a bit smaller than the o.d. of that shaft), cut the tube in half lengthwise, put the tube on the shaft and one or two hose clamps over the pieces to hold them in place?

Then it sounds like to me your bushing at end of shaft where is meets the steering knuckle has worn out. it is causing your steering shaft to slide down just far enough to lock it. Question I have, is have you looked at the knuckle? also the plate it locks into, have you tried to slide it down opposite way? You can do the tube bit the other guy is talking about, but if your knuckle is infact damaged, then you need to address it before your steering goes out. 

On 5/19/2020 at 8:17 AM, Niners 365 said:

Then it sounds like to me your bushing at end of shaft where is meets the steering knuckle has worn out. it is causing your steering shaft to slide down just far enough to lock it. Question I have, is have you looked at the knuckle? also the plate it locks into, have you tried to slide it down opposite way? You can do the tube bit the other guy is talking about, but if your knuckle is infact damaged, then you need to address it before your steering goes out. 

What do you mean by knuckle?

18 minutes ago, Niners 365 said:

Steering knuckle is the same as steering box, just an old way we call it. It is the box junction where all steering goes into the connection point that turns your vehicle left or right.

The steering gear is fine it is it is sliding between the upper intermediate and steering column going from the lower intermediate shaft to this steering gear it will not move

• 9 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...