Multipro Tailgate Issue

Hey all!! New to the forum. Glad to be here. Hoping someone can help me out.

I recently bought a 2020 Sierra AT4. Put an ATV in the box this afternoon. It’s on a riser in hopes that the tailgate would shut which didn’t quite work out.  I opened the step and closed the tailgate. Now I can’t get the tailgate to open to get the ATV out. Step will not close as the backend of the quad is in the way. 

is there anyway to get the tailgate open now? Manual override? Something....

Is the ATV pushing against the tailgate?  If so you may have to get 2 persons and each person push in on the outside of the tailgate near the latches and then try pushing the button to see if it will release. 

39 minutes ago, OneNorth said:

Hey all!! New to the forum. Glad to be here. Hoping someone can help me out.

I recently bought a 2020 Sierra AT4. Put an ATV in the box this afternoon. It’s on a riser in hopes that the tailgate would shut which didn’t quite work out.  I opened the step and closed the tailgate. Now I can’t get the tailgate to open to get the ATV out. Step will not close as the backend of the quad is in the way. 

is there anyway to get the tailgate open now? Manual override? Something....

Welcome to the site, congratulations on your new truck.

Can you post a picture, easy to come up with an idea if we can see the problem.

Edited by JimCost2014

45 minutes ago, OneNorth said:

When pressing the tailgate release button on the key fob I can’t hear it even try to release. 

I will try what Sierra 3.0 mentioned! 

Yea, my idea was going to be stand the ATV up a little bit more on it's back wheels to relieve the pressure that is causing on the gate.

Careful where you push, have heard the T1's tailgate skin dent's very easy.

Edited by JimCost2014

56 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

Yea, my idea was going to be stand the ATV up a little bit more on it's back wheels to relieve the pressure that is causing on the gate.

Careful where you push, have heard the T1's tailgate skin dent's very easy.

Figured it out. The quad wasn’t actually touching the tailgate. Ended up having to manually flip the latches where the stair connects to the main part of the tailgate. Fooled it into thinking the step was up. Once I did this the tailgate opened. Now time to go for a ride!

Thanks for chiming in folks!!

Yea if you even look at the multi pro wrong it will refuse to open.

A manual release would be greatly appreciated.

Seems like whatever the sensors are for determining open/close are VERY touchy. 

It is designed to not open the main tailgate if the smaller portion is open.  It is a safety feature so that if you have a trailer hitch in and try opening the tailgate with the smaller tailgate already open, it won't let it.  Nothing wrong with it, it is designed that way to prevent possible damage.