Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Recommended Posts

Hey all!! New to the forum. Glad to be here. Hoping someone can help me out.
 

 I recently bought a 2020 Sierra AT4. Put an ATV in the box this afternoon. It’s on a riser in hopes that the tailgate would shut which didn’t quite work out.  I opened the step and closed the tailgate. Now I can’t get the tailgate to open to get the ATV out. Step will not close as the backend of the quad is in the way. 
 

is there anyway to get the tailgate open now? Manual override? Something....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the ATV pushing against the tailgate?  If so you may have to get 2 persons and each person push in on the outside of the tailgate near the latches and then try pushing the button to see if it will release. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, OneNorth said:

Hey all!! New to the forum. Glad to be here. Hoping someone can help me out.
 

 I recently bought a 2020 Sierra AT4. Put an ATV in the box this afternoon. It’s on a riser in hopes that the tailgate would shut which didn’t quite work out.  I opened the step and closed the tailgate. Now I can’t get the tailgate to open to get the ATV out. Step will not close as the backend of the quad is in the way. 
 

is there anyway to get the tailgate open now? Manual override? Something....

Welcome to the site, congratulations on your new truck.

 

Can you post a picture, easy to come up with an idea if we can see the problem.

 

Edited by JimCost2014

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

Welcome to the site, congratulations on your new truck.

 

Can you post a picture, easy to come up with an idea if we can see the problem.

 

 

F155DB69-F252-4C8C-886C-CF63A0E768F6.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When pressing the tailgate release button on the key fob I can’t hear it even try to release. 
 

I will try what Sierra 3.0 mentioned! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, OneNorth said:

When pressing the tailgate release button on the key fob I can’t hear it even try to release. 
 

I will try what Sierra 3.0 mentioned! 

Yea, my idea was going to be stand the ATV up a little bit more on it's back wheels to relieve the pressure that is causing on the gate.

 

Careful where you push, have heard the T1's tailgate skin dent's very easy.

Edited by JimCost2014

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

Yea, my idea was going to be stand the ATV up a little bit more on it's back wheels to relieve the pressure that is causing on the gate.

 

 

Careful where you push, have heard the T1's tailgate skin dent's very easy.

Figured it out. The quad wasn’t actually touching the tailgate. Ended up having to manually flip the latches where the stair connects to the main part of the tailgate. Fooled it into thinking the step was up. Once I did this the tailgate opened. Now time to go for a ride!

 

Thanks for chiming in folks!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good info. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

and take your receiver out !!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, steve841 said:

and take your receiver out !!!!

That's today's lesson......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, steve841 said:

and take your receiver out !!!!

The ball mount should suffice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, garagerog said:

The ball mount should suffice.

I was going to say hitch. But I figured someone would chime in with a smart ass comment. 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea if you even look at the multi pro wrong it will refuse to open.

 

A manual release would be greatly appreciated.

 

Seems like whatever the sensors are for determining open/close are VERY touchy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is designed to not open the main tailgate if the smaller portion is open.  It is a safety feature so that if you have a trailer hitch in and try opening the tailgate with the smaller tailgate already open, it won't let it.  Nothing wrong with it, it is designed that way to prevent possible damage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Makes sense of course. Would be nice if they had some form of override for it though. I pull trailers around almost everyday so taking the hitch out is not an option!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.