'14 Silverado Remote Start Issue

• 4 months later...
9 hours ago, 2014silver5.3 said:

Any advise? No one has replied for 5 months

You might want to check, or replace the hood latch switch. The remote start will not work with any issues, factory safety feature.

Lots of post on this problem.

Having the same issue. Mine is related to a battery post failure (negative) internal to my battery. Battery is only 6 months old, and it happened again. I stress relieved the negative cable/post, however, not good enough apparently. Definitely vet the posts on the battery. Have someone try to start the vehicle while putting a bit of torque on the post in a couple different directions. This may expose the problem.

On 2/12/2021 at 1:35 PM, Dick Lichon said:

Having the same issue. Mine is related to a battery post failure (negative) internal to my battery. Battery is only 6 months old, and it happened again. I stress relieved the negative cable/post, however, not good enough apparently. Definitely vet the posts on the battery. Have someone try to start the vehicle while putting a bit of torque on the post in a couple different directions. This may expose the problem.

I will have to give that a try. What do you mean by "vet the posts"? Also, how do you stress relieve the battery, add a ground?

3 hours ago, 2014silver5.3 said:

I will have to give that a try. What do you mean by "vet the posts"? Also, how do you stress relieve the battery, add a ground?

Put some torque on the cable at the battery post while someone tries to crank over the truck. If the post has failed you'll detect it when the starter can't roll over the engine. If there is a crack in the post internal to the battery you will exploit the issue putting torque on it opening the crack and creating an open condition. Your starter draws a lot of amps so it will be obvious if it is an issue.

I'm going to add a loop of cable to lengthen it. The negative cable is highly unsupported as it runs down the firewall. At least in my case anyway, it is putting quite a bending moment on my negative post creating the failure mode. This is the third battery that has failed this way in my truck. If you key on to accessory does your voltage drop quickly below 12V and then throw a low battery voltage warning? If so, this could be the issue.

10 minutes ago, Dick Lichon said:

This is a mechanical fatigue failure of the battery post. Not an electrical failure. Lack of voltage and subsequent amperage draw is the symptom of this failure mode. Tough one to find for sure given the housing of the battery is holding things together even though it is cracked.

I appreciate your detailed response! I will look into it more. The only difference is I do not have the low voltage warning upon start up. Also, some times when it is cold my starter seems to drag. Would this be a result from this issue?