Capless fuel fill broken

The capless filler flap on my sierra keeps coming loose and sometimes the pump nozzle wont go in easily. I think im out of my 3/36 months warranty. (Bought new 8/2016) only at 34k miles though. 

any thoughts? 

A2DB07F6-96D4-4EB8-A4E0-3FCFFE2459E2.jpeg

This happened to be on my '17 Silverado back in March. Fortunately, it's a CPO truck & was covered. Once it was fixed, I ended up also putting a cap over it to keep any dirt or water from collecting on top & going into the tank when I'd fill up. Someone mentioned to me that they make a OEM cover that you can put on over it. Not sure what the fix is. On mine they had to replace the whole gas tube neck. Not sure if this is the cover or not. http://ACDelco GT291 GM Original Equipment Fuel Tank Cap

In your case it looks like it just came out of it's holding clip. You might be able to remove the top plastic part & get it back in place.

Check this video out....same problem.https://youtu.be/iWIVX5Vio_0

I just got a plastic spray can top that fit nice over the unit & added a bolt to the top for a pull handle. I still cover the fill cap area even after the fix to keep junk out. Hope this help some for you.

I wonder would this be covered as an emissions control device? If so it may still be covered. i haven't looked that closely at a vehicle warranty with a cap less system. None of our vehicles have cap less.

Good point. The first thing the service manager asked me when I took it in was "is the check engine light on?" It wasn't in my case.

Terrible to see that; I had a flash since my 18 is blue too. It doesn't just clip back up somehow or hardware is broken?  Yeah I put a cap on mine too. I imagine you could buy a trailer hitch cover and trim to fit or a guy on eBay sells them too. I'm not a fan of gas capless system, but it is what it is. Sub'd to see outcome.

I don't think the cap will do anything to prevent my issue though. Maybe rigorous fueling is the issue? I don't know. I'm the only one who fuels my truck. (Wife drives it rarely but never fuels anything.) :) And I've only got 35K in 4 years of ownership. Sometimes my truck sits for a week or more between being driven and town is 3 miles away from home. 

Anyway, I wonder what that crappy plastic piece is actully there for besides keeping crud out. I'll pull that junker out and get a cover like you guys posted as long as the machine wont decide its got a fault because of it. 

Ok guys...here's my home made 'cheap' version. Don't laugh too hard at me BUT it works great. Keep water & dirt from collecting at the little spring door & going into the tank. Fits snug & pulls right off. It's a McGuyver trick!?

20201009_101001.jpg

20201009_101009.jpg

• Like 1

Laundry detergent cap works great for me. A loose fit. I could cut it down so it fits tightly but it’s never moved around since closed fuel door keeps it in place.

7fe7783957e236e2cfb8d8e7bf462413.jpg
996ac4ef17cff1961fa4030bbf07669b.jpg
970b2be2319bb029758fcceee81ac51e.jpg
dde65483db624ed61b245786354e4417.jpg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 2018GMC said:

Laundry detergent cap works great for me. A loose fit. I could cut it down so it fits tightly but it’s never moved around since closed fuel door keeps it in place.

7fe7783957e236e2cfb8d8e7bf462413.jpg
996ac4ef17cff1961fa4030bbf07669b.jpg
970b2be2319bb029758fcceee81ac51e.jpg
dde65483db624ed61b245786354e4417.jpg

I love it!  Improvise  Adapt  Overcome

• Like 1