Rear window leak - Will it be fixed in 2022 models?

5 minutes ago, Minnvmax said:

There are far more people that dont have the problem. 46K on my 19 and dry. 

Man you like tempting fate, outside of your warranty too no less.😀

I don't get the people here claiming not everyone has this problem, and your point to that is what?

It is a thread asking if the same problem will carry over to the 22 model year, my answer to that is yes. If the body structure remains the same and they have the ability to carry over the same window

part content wise, knowing gm, yes they will as it saves cost.

Far cheaper for GM to just have dealers dump silicone on your back windows and at worst have to replace the window with another one.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

This issue is not fixed. My 22 2500 Denali BD edition is leaking and its 2 weeks old. Issue is not the seal !! GM pulls the tail and fills with clear seam sealer,  which is a joke.  The encapsulation fused to the glass by the slider manufacturer cracks usually in top corners and then in middle areas. 

Essentially the window is garbage.  We have replaced many.  Hopefully, enough people complain and GM puts pressure on slider manufacturer ( Fuyao ) to fix the issue and replace. I can gurantee there is a ton of owners who have leaks and don't even realize it. Nevermind the electronic components located across the back deck behind the seat getting soaked.  Also make sure rear seat back is removed and dried as its foam and soaks up alot of the water creating a must smell.  Well...off to remove a rear seat back that's soaked while customer waits for local dealer to stop running her around and fix her truck.

Edited by ZL1GLASSMAN

All GMC...............

2010 never had the rear window leak

2012 never had the rear window leak

2015 never had the rear window leak

2017 never had the rear window leak

2021 no rear window leak in 15,000 miles and 1.5 yrs

25 minutes ago, elcamino said:

All GMC...............

2010 never had the rear window leak

2012 never had the rear window leak

2015 never had the rear window leak

2017 never had the rear window leak

2021 no rear window leak in 15,000 miles and 1.5 yrs

I bought a cherry 02 Avalanche that had a leak. Found out it was common with the Avalanche. I’m glad it was reported and had a fix, and I fixed it. I’m sure some didn’t. So what’s your point? No one’s saying they  all leak. 

Edited by KARNUT

My 2020 was "fixed". It still leaks. I can push the headliner up and see no cracks in the plastic molded to the slider. The water actually runs all of the way to the driver's side of the plastic then runs down the inside of the glass. So far the headliner is dry.

I have to believe the back of the spoiler or the 3rd brake light are the source of the leak. I just wish there was a way to take the headliner completely out without damaging it so I could locate and fix the leak.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

2020 rst here. Have had 3 back sliders put in and the newest one started leaking today. I’m gonna let it go awhile then put a solid window in since it’s not to bad . It is not the spoiler but the window frame that cracks. From others on the forum the solid window fixed it

On 3/20/2021 at 1:42 PM, gmcsierra71 said:

I'm interested in the upcoming 2022 GMC Sierra. I am wondering if the rear window leak issue will be fixed in this model?

Plenty of leaking window stories on the thread: ( I think there are numerous current 2019 - 2021 owners who have a leak and don't know it):

The rear window leak posts have dropped off considerably in the last year or so. There were 4-5 posts daily when these trucks were new. If it was still happening that much there would be posts everyday. My 20 leaked and the window was replaced with the updated version by a glass shop (dealer called) and has been dry ever since it was replaced in Mar 21. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2021 at 2:14 PM, mcgee500 said:

I like reading these. My buddy is the service manager at a huge Chevy dealer. I have asked him how many they have had that leaked out of the 600 truck 2019, 2020 and 2021 they have sold. And the number don't come close to the reading I see on the internet. He said you want to find problems go to the internet. I keep reading about the same 3 problems 1-rear window leak 2- 8 speed transmission and 3 - bad lifters. I have been told the transmission issue was solved with the synthetic tran oil. The lifter is very isolated and and the window leak it's not the window it the roof spoiler that was installed without 2 round seals. The dealership Ron works at sold over 600 trucks and they have fixed 9 trucks with leaking spoilers. I'm going to get hammer for this aren't I ok give it to me. My truck a 2020 Silverado LTZ that has near 20000 sits outside I have had none of those problems. lets have it

3 of my last 4 2021-2022 GMC 1500/2500 have leaked.  Most recent is my 2500 which is leaking three weeks after taking ownership.  Build date was 7/22.

It may not effect every truck, but it effects a bunch. The dealerships here are very well aware of the problem.

• 3 months later...

Have 2021 sierra slt. Noticed window leak after second year of ownership. Took to dealer. Had 36300. Miles on it. Dealer said it was out of warranty. Expressed my disappointment and stated it probably didn't start leaking in last 300 miles, I just noticed. Was on trip at time I noticed. Was told I should of stopped at a dealer to document leak before I reached 36000. Well it was a Sunday on my way back home and I never thought I would have problem 300 miles over. Guess I should of put on flatbed and had it delivered. Guess 65k doesn't count. Documented problem GM has been having but they do not stand behind their vehicle. Will see what happens.

1 hour ago, forjohno said:

Have 2021 sierra slt. Noticed window leak after second year of ownership. Took to dealer. Had 36300. Miles on it. Dealer said it was out of warranty. Expressed my disappointment and stated it probably didn't start leaking in last 300 miles, I just noticed. Was on trip at time I noticed. Was told I should have stopped at a dealer to document leak before I reached 36000. Well it was a Sunday on my way back home and I never thought I would have problem 300 miles over. Guess I should have put on flatbed and had it delivered. Guess 65k doesn't count. Documented problem GM has been having but they do not stand behind their vehicle. Will see what happens.

That sucks but it might be a good thing.  Look at the post in this forum titled “DIY sliding window leak permanent repair”.  Find someone who will do that for you and you’ll probably be better off in the long run.  I had a similar experience and they held firm to the warranty. In my case it was a date that the extended warranty ended.  They never budged.  Good luck.

• 1 year later...

I have a 2022 Silverado 2500HD. We just noticed the rear window leaking in the top driver side at 38,000 miles. I am taking it into the dealership tomorrow. I know that the manufacturer warranty is up but we purchased an extended comprehensive warranty, extended cosmetic warranty, and it has the Zurich Shield warranty. Please tell me this known issue repair should be covered under one of the warranties.