Should I be Worried

Hey All, speaking to a neighbor today, said he was looking at buying a 14 like mine.  But, he is finding one with the Transmission Replaced, because at around 100K Miles these 6 speeds Tranny and Torque Converters go out.  My truck has 92K, Should I be Worried?

Everything is a gamble. Some make it 200k without an issue and others make it 60k miles before something happens. That's what you get with mass produced vehicles like these.

I had 110k on my last truck with no issues and I'm at 111k on my current 2016 with no worries yet. Yes the torque converter issue is something to think about but there is nothing you can really do about it if it's already starting to be a problem. Some people like me will tune the transmission to use the torque converter less but obviously that is not an option for most.

I have a 15 with 135K trouble free currently. Fact is it works better now than it did new. Pre 2014 these were pretty trouble free. In 2014 GM decided to add a thermostat to hold the fluid temperature above 190 F. A couple of problems with that. One, the TCM is submerged in hot oil. Second the V8 models are fitted with a converter clutch that likes to eat itself and when it does destroys the transmission. Converter JMBX. Third the fluid used is still a mineral based synthetic which would be fine IF the temperatures were pre 2014. That is something under 180F. Fourth, is the GM fluid change interval call out leave people believing that 90-100K is 'normal' when in reality there is no such thing as normal for the transmission as it is received. It is ALL severe service. Even 45K is a stretch.

Just today I hear of a converter HD B85JMBX. DACCO is no longer supplying torque converters. For availability and technical support, call TC Remanufacturing at 1-800-882-6089. As I understand it uses HD SONNOX parts in the rebuild. 

Here's a oddity. The converters used behind the 4.3 have an excellent reputation for durability so if you have the 4.3 then the converter should be okay. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

We have 82k on our 2016 Suburban.  Hopefully it will last but who knows.  I switched it over to AMSOIL at 10k miles and then changed out the filter at 50k miles and topped back off with fluid.  I'll do that again at 100k miles. 

I know it isn't the same and I was lucky but my 2002 Silverado was treated the exact same way and it was going strong at 200k when I sold it.  Also it towed the last five years of it's life a 10'x20' 4klb trailer several times a year up until Covid and that stopped us from going to events.

Keeping the fluid fresh is a good rule to follow.  Some will say different but considering the cost of a transmission replacement and actually how often you would be changing the fluid out to me it makes sense.

Edited by Black02Silverado
grammer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I asked the Mrs. yesterday, "What happens when you continue to hit a nail that has been driven flush to the board".

"The wood gets destroyed", she says.

The board is just wood. The nail and hammer are senseless. Only the driver is in control so when it complains...QUIT HITTING THE NAIL

I got a call once when she was on a business trip complaining that her Terrain wouldn't go faster than 75 mph with her foot flat on the matt. She was on an Interstate trying to do 5 over into a 40 mph headwind. Her insistence that that it SHOULD be able to do this resulted in a motor that uses oil now like she owns a refinery. Load meter in this rig shows over 80% without a headwind at that speed. It's a box car with a N/A 2.4 and a lifetime of this treatment is killing it. This is really really common with this combination. That same motor in a Verano will do that standing on it's head. 

That machine doesn't care what you BELIEVE it SHOULD DO. It only cares about you exceeding what it CAN do. 

This converter, thermostat, fluid thing GM is pushing.....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

:rant:

Thank You CamGTP, Grumpy Bear, Black02Silverado.

I keep up maintenance on my truck, plan on it lasting many years.  Just hoping that Transmission problems are seldom, and my truck last another 100k.

• Like 2

This is my experience with the transmission in my 2014 SLT 4X4 I purchased in January. This truck had 112,900 miles when I purchased it and at 119,500 miles the transmission was burnt up. I suspect it was bad when I bought the truck I just missed it. It was not acting up as you would suspect but it was showing some signs. The biggest tell was slipping under heavy acceleration. I had purchased a powertrain warranty which put my cost at 149.99 to have it replaced. Now the transmission is covered by a 36mo/100000ml gm warranty. 

Hi James!

The concerns you're facing right now are actually very similar to the ones I'm having, which is why I'm happy to see this thread. I also have a 2014 Sierra with about 100,300 miles. I used to do very limited driving but a recent job change has me commuting to Pontiac every day during the week. I guess you can say I too have read the horror stories regarding 6L80/Torque converter failure, and I won't deny that I am fearful if I'll be one of the unlucky few who deals with this problem around this mile range. But, as everyone has kind of said, it's a total gamble. It could fail tomorrow, it could fail years from now at 200k, I really have no idea.

As of now, just keep up with the maintenance as you have been! I got my transmission serviced at the dealer around 90,000mi. and I'll change the fluid as I have been when the time comes. Given the age and mileage, it still shifts very, very smooth. Honestly, I get the occasional grinding/hesitation/jerk but I remember the truck doing that from the moment I first started driving it. I also am much more calm behind the wheel than I used to be, I don't beat this thing around and I really do think that's a key factor in longevity.

Like you, I'm planning to keep this truck for 100k more miles. The best we can do is just continue to stay on top of things. :) Treat your truck well and it will treat you back!

Thank You OffTheAir,  glad to know that others have the same concerns.

Guess today, because of the Cost of these trucks we feel it should last, but every mechanical item will fail at some point.  Like you, just hoping that my truck will last to 200k.

Take Care-

The longevity of any vehicle is directly related to the way it's maintained. Simple. Changing fluids using the severe maintenance schedule has been my standard and has served me well.

I buy used vehicles. 

I have had to replace 1 trans in a truck. A 93 Silverado, 5.7L 4 speed at 230 K. It was used for towing and a work truck. Trans was serviced every 30 K.  

• Like 2

On 5/2/2021 at 8:20 PM, James Beyer said:

Hey All, speaking to a neighbor today, said he was looking at buying a 14 like mine.  But, he is finding one with the Transmission Replaced, because at around 100K Miles these 6 speeds Tranny and Torque Converters go out.  My truck has 92K, Should I be Worried?

Start sending in periodic samples of the transmission fluid to Blackstone Labs for analysis.  Change your fluid every 36K to 45K miles.