oil change cost

That has many variables.  Changing it yourself?  Brand and type oil used plus prices vary from shop to shop.  Not sure how many qts. the 3.0 holds.  Is this a deal breaker for you?

Edited by mafd2

I use dealers. All three I use have windows for you to watch. All three send my coupons. For my Avalanche with next month’s oil change it’s usually 59$. That’s synthetic and tires rotated. I can get tires rotated for free at discount tires. This will save me a trip. The cherry is with this mailer there’s an additional coupon for another 20$ off. This too is not unusual. I can’t do it myself for that. Save the I hate the dealer post. 30 years of no problems.

• Like 1

Should cost roughly the same, depending on oil used, the 3.0 uses 7 quarts vs 8 on the 5.3. Depending on oil used, Dexos D is slightly more expensive. I use mobil 1 in my vehicles and do my own oil changes. Mobil 1 exp2 is Dexos D approved. And i think is $1-2 more per quart than normal mobil 1. So cost is roughly the same for me

13 minutes ago, Adamace1 said:

$46 bucks total in my garage. Mobil one acdelco filter. 

Where do you get your oil from? Usually Advanced Auto has their oil change specials, 5qts oil and a filter for $35. But then you have to buy 3 more qts at $10/each which brings the total to over $60. My dealership offers a $59 oil change, full synthetic and tire rotation. I can't see doing it myself anymore...

• Like 1

2.7 and 4.3 hold 6 qt

3.0 holds 7 qt

5.3 and 6.2 hold 8 qt

2.7 and 3.0 use PF66 oil filter

4.3, 5.3 and 6.2 use PF63E

Someone will bring up DEF.

I've got about 5000 miles since last filling the tank, and its still half full -- so I could add about 2.5 gallons. 

(so about $10 per 5000 miles..)

I'm one of those that hand checks every tank of fuel (carryover from the fuel crisis in the '70's...)

Last 5.3 I ran was a '16 that most tankful's ran between 20 and 21 usmpg. 

With similar usage this 3.0L is giving 27-28 mpg tankful averages. 

'Here', diesel and regular usually run about the same cost here.

(Currently diesel is running 8 - 10% less than regular at most stations.  I don't expect this to last)

It would be good to understand the diesel/regular taxation/pricing in the area where the fuel will be purchased.

With my usage, it looks like the OLM will be recommending oil changes at about the same number of miles as the 5.3.

As they say, YMMV (and, of course, it will depend on how it is being used)

38 minutes ago, BossTaco2020 said:

Where do you get your oil from? Usually Advanced Auto has their oil change specials, 5qts oil and a filter for $35. But then you have to buy 3 more qts at $10/each which brings the total to over $60. My dealership offers a $59 oil change, full synthetic and tire rotation. I can't see doing it myself anymore...

Costco runs Mobil 1 on sale here for $27 for a case of 6. Sale hits about every 2 months. 

3 hours ago, Clay00024 said:

Can anyone tell me what the cost of an oil change? trying to see how much more it is on 3.0l duramax and the 5.3l

Here at work (GM dealer) its $69.95 up to 8 quarts with rotate so a 5.3 with rotate $69.95+tax.

IF you are DIY, figure two 5 quart jugs of oil at $25/jug plus $5-10 for an oil filter.  

The 3.0 diesel, the GM oil retails for $8.26/qt, you need 7 of them.  The PF-66 filter lists for $8.77.  

So DIY to DIY its about $10-15 more 3.0 diesel vs 5.3/6.2.  At the dealer, its probably $20-30 more accounting for labor and maybe tire rotation.  

I get my 5 quart jugs at Walmart and my quart 6 pack at Costco when it's on sale for $27.  I also get Mobil 1 filters from Amazon by the six pack.  Then I change the oil in my garage and know it was done right.  I let the oil drain for half an hour, so the crankcase is about as empty as it gets.  Obviously that doesn't happen when you pay to have it done, so you have plenty of dirty oil left in your engine.  Go to any forum and you'll see plenty of horror stories about dealers, jiffy lubes and independents totally screwing up a simple oil change.  I pass by the landfill every week, so dumping the old oil for free is no problem.   

• Like 1