TFL Silverado Overheats

Something tells me we don't have the full story here. It's TFL Truck, their whole stick is to drop a trailer on and hammer down with no regard to overriding the computer when its obvious the truck is doing the wrong thing (no truck gets it perfect every time in every situation).

The amount of times I've seen them lug a truck up a hill, refusing to force a downshift or slow down 5 to 10 mph is beyond counting. I can't watch them, at times it's serious truck abuse.

(nobody cares, for example, if a truck takes 30 seconds longer to climb a hill, but hey that doesn't stop them from ramming the truck up the IKE as fast as they can like its the end all and be all of a perfect truck. Same thing with "brake applications" lol, oh noes, I used my brake pedal 3 times more going down an 8 minute hill. I just don't get their testing methodology.)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, the wanderer said:

Something tells me we don't have the full story here. It's TFL Truck, their whole stick is to drop a trailer on and hammer down with no regard to overriding the computer when its obvious the truck is doing the wrong thing (no truck gets it perfect every time in every situation).

The amount of times I've seen them lug a truck up a hill, refusing to force a downshift or slow down 5 to 10 mph is beyond counting. I can't watch them, at times it's serious truck abuse.

(nobody cares, for example, if a truck takes 30 seconds longer to climb a hill, but hey that doesn't stop them from ramming the truck up the IKE as fast as they can like its the end all and be all of a perfect truck. Same thing with "brake applications" lol, oh noes, I used my brake pedal 3 times more going down an 8 minute hill. I just don't get their testing methodology.)

I could care less about times either but I love their testing.  Nothing wrong with putting the truck to the ultimate test , with towing loads and going uphill elevation. Like i said the F150 PB also over heated too and they also documented that one as well. 

Yes its less the testing and more the scoring/weights that I have a problem with. I would never take off "points" for getting up a hill 30 seconds slower than the next truck; I just don't care. However I do care about transmission/oil temps, and you never hear them talk about that for example, these last 2 videos have been an anomaly and only because "bad things happened". I also don't care if my truck gets 3 mpg up the IKE vs 5; its an 8 minute run. I do care about overall MPG while towing, but those computer/ECU readouts on an 8 min run at WOT are random and irrelevant, don't even need to see those numbers because there is no way they are even close to accurate.

Using points to rank a truck is just silly, because we can't all agree on what makes a truck "better" than another. If all you care about is WOT performance than those Ford turbos are going to always get ahead on their test track way up in Colorado mountains. If you care about durability/reliability than you want more weight applied to temps and less to raw speed. Etc etc. Basically their scoring system favours Ford in a big way, and its very inaccurate at times.

They would do much better to just drop the final scoring altogether and just present all the raw data; everything, speed, temps (especially!), shifting behaviour (is it hunting?) and let us make up our mind depending on what we look for most in a truck. And then do your best to override the system if it's obvious the truck is in the wrong gear, and make a note of it too in case that bothers you.

Basically; Kent and Andre and Roman are huge Ford fans. I don't trust their subjective scoring (25% of final score) at all so that for a start needs to be dropped.

• Like 1

Its a good channel and that truck should not be running hot within its towing capacity. Junk! Come on GM, reply to them so we all know whats going on. Break in? Towing weight reduction due to elevation? Lemon? Let us know something.

Edited by fireaxxe
Added "Lemon"

He was in auto 4wd if you watch the video towing 7,000 lbs uphill at moderate speeds. If he had been in 4 high, 2 high or 4 low I bet he would have been fine. The gravel while towing would be engaging 4wd on and off (with clutches which creates heat). At 35mph the torque converter was probably not locked which with the on and off of the autotrac would generate excessive heat from clutch slippage as well. Maybe even just locking it into 3rd or 4th would have helped with the heat. 

Either way, 4wd generates more load and heat to the transmission than 2wd. 

• Like 1

I, too, wonder what GM's response to this will be. It's pretty clear that altitude+grade+external temps+low speeds = overheated transmission. The note above about the truck being in 4A is also a great point. 

And count me among those who are pleased that TFL loads these trucks down, shifts to D and just hits the road. The average truck owner doesn't know the technical "tricks" of shifting to 4H in a situation like this. No one reads that much into the owner's manuals anymore. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, econometrics said:

And count me among those who are pleased that TFL loads these trucks down, shifts to D and just hits the road. The average truck owner doesn't know the technical "tricks" of shifting to 4H in a situation like this. No one reads that much into the owner's manuals anymore. 

Imagine if a large youtube producer like TFL actually used the truck like they knew what they were doing and actually educated everybody, instead of contributing to the problem. Ignorance is no excuse, you need to know how to work a truck just as much as you need to know how to safely connect the trailer. Can you imagine them loading up an 8000 pound trailer with no WDH just because a ton of people don't know better and do that too?

They are more about entertainment at times then they are about actually educating people; if you want entertainment, fine, that's your right, but in my opinion they are not helping matters.

17 minutes ago, the wanderer said:

Imagine if a large youtube producer like TFL actually used the truck like they knew what they were doing and actually educated everybody, instead of contributing to the problem. Ignorance is no excuse, you need to know how to work a truck just as much as you need to know how to safely connect the trailer. Can you imagine them loading up an 8000 pound trailer with no WDH just because a ton of people don't know better and do that too?

They are more about entertainment at times then they are about actually educating people; if you want entertainment, fine, that's your right, but in my opinion they are not helping matters.

They're not trying to educate people. Their stated mission in every video is “honest, real world reviews”. Not “educating you on how to use your vehicle”. 

This is the misional trade off they have made. And it seems to have worked pretty well for them, if you ask me. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, the wanderer said:

I 100% agree with you and its just like most people DO NOT know how to use the G80 locker rear, they get stuck and spin the rear wheels like 50 mph and wonder why it doesn't work and don't realize how they work, spin wheels slowly until it engages, wheel speeds above 20mph it wont lock. Alot of people do not know how to use there equipment.

• Like 1

TFL is a good real-world test for the average person who mashes the pedal and doesn't care. Something happened. My bet is on low speeds and inadequate air flow. These trucks don't come with mechanical fans and I haven't found any good information about the transmission cooler, where it's at or if it even has one. GM should pay attention because this is how the general driving population will use their trucks when they have heavy loads.

So, on this one...

On 7/21/2021 at 5:08 PM, calgator73 said:

I would venture a guess that on steep grades and very low speeds like they were driving they would be better served in four low to keep engine RPM up. This keeps the hydraulic pump in the transmission spinning faster and pushing more fluid.

From owners manual:
4-low
This setting engages the front axle and delivers extra torque. Choose 4 low when driving off-road in deep sand, deep mud, or deep snow, and while climbing or descending steep hills. While driving in 4 low, keep vehicle speed below 72 km/h (45 mph).

.....I'm a have to say no. 4-low isn't appropriate here. It's appropriate when you can't keep fans and fluids circulating fast enough while locked out in 1st gear, as well as sticky off-road situations where it's better to have at least one drive wheel front and rear turning. The truck should be able to turn enough RPM in 1st, 2nd, 3rd for the conditions described in the video. Perhaps locking it into 2nd or 3rd would have helped to eliminate unwanted upshifts. I've spent a fair amount of time off-road in the last 20 years...4-low (or hi) isn't really something we ever use on dry pavement, and generally not above 15-20mph. Not if locking out first or 2nd in 2 or 4hi provides enough power and cooling.

My transmission temps have gone up to the 260 range when off-roading with up some very steep inclines and 100f weather on dry land. I wasn’t hauling anything besides a full bed of camping equipment. I’m sure it didn’t help much that I was driving pretty fast up those inclines. I have a trailboss LT with the 6.2