Time for a new truck

So I'm wanting to get a truck in the next 2-3 months. I was really wanting to wait until the 2022's come out, but everything I'm hearing, its not gonna be until LATE Q1, so April or so, and I can't wait that long. I've narrowed it down to 6.2, 3.0 or Tundra (2021 and under). My concern with the 6.2 GM is the lifters, and the 3.0 the long start. I know they will replace the lifters (the one thats bad) if its after 9k miles (I think thats right). I think I read where it was a bad batch, but has anyone isolated which batch or what plant they came from? Thanks for any help or advice!!

32 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

You can't wait that long due to needing a vehicle sooner or don't want to wait?

I would wait if I could.

kind of need a truck. My trans is starting to go in limp mode a lot more often. I think there is a short leading to one of the trans sensors and I'm tired of being stranded (about  4 times)

Fix your old truck and wait!!!!!  I wouldn’t buy a new truck right now. Who knows how long they have been sitting out in a field waiting for a chip!  I read articles in motortrend and car and driver stating thousands of trucks already made, waiting for chips sitting in fields within the elements and little critters!  Hell no for me!  

31 minutes ago, WeGone said:

I would also wait, When things get going again my bet is you will be able to buy a new 21 in early to mid 22 for a great price as they will be wanting start sell 22s.

This ^^^

As for the no-start 3.0 issue, its happened to me twice in 12,5xx miles. There is supposed to be a software update to address this coming out. I wouldn't let the no-start scare you from the 3.0. It's a fantastic drive train.

Take one for a test drive (if you can find one).

thanks everyone. I really wanted a 2022 just for the interior. I am a little excited that the towing numbers increased on the 3.0. Not sure if its just cooling, software I don't know. I will try to hold off as long as I can. What helps is I do work from home, I'm just not able to get chores, landscaping, etc.. done. I think we're gonna just save 1k a month like we are making a payment and just use that as a downpayment. Hopefully I can wait that long, but if not, 2021 tundra here I come 

I used to think the chip shortage was going to go away soon... but now I am not so sure. And there'll be a flood of Silverados when this is over, I expect big discounts. I am not counting on getting the 2022 even when it comes out in April.. more likely 2023 which probably will come out in October or so...

On 10/3/2021 at 8:49 AM, contenderv07 said:

kind of need a truck. My trans is starting to go in limp mode a lot more often. I think there is a short leading to one of the trans sensors and I'm tired of being stranded (about  4 times)

And you believe the repair will cost more than a new truck and somehow will be less reliable?

🤔

If you've been stranded 4 times and know what the issue it and are not fixing it....................?????????????????????

:rolleyes:

C'mon now.....you just want to tell us you ARE buying a new truck

🤣

• Like 1

Sounds like the current truck is paid off. 

Also sounds like it's not used as a commuter vehicle or to keep a business running.  Presumably that means miles per year are on the low side, and it's possible to leave in in the shop for a few days for any repairs that are needed.

If repairs are say $1000 and you avoid says $1000/month in payments -- and drive it one more month. then it's a wash. 

(Or $1000 in repair, $500 in monthly payments and drive it 2 more months -- or any other similar combo)

I guess I don't understand the using the repair as an excuse to jump into another cycle of payments. 

I like running newer stuff as much as anybody, but when I look back over 40 years of vehicle purchases (mostly new ones) the ones that give the best memories turn out to be the ones driven for a bunch of years after they were fully paid for.

Of course if you just want a new one, and it fits your finances, go for it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grumpy Bear said:

And you believe the repair will cost more than a new truck and somehow will be less reliable?

🤔

If you've been stranded 4 times and know what the issue it and are not fixing it....................?????????????????????

:rolleyes:

C'mon now.....you just want to tell us you ARE buying a new truck

🤣

The truck has been in the shop 4 times for the exact same issue. A trans sensor keeps going bad? I know i'm not getting charged for it when I go, so they are just replacing the same part. Personally I think it is a short going to one of the sensors, but they just tell me they replaced it. Next time it has to go in I'll have them look at other things. but just to add, hell yea I want a newer truck LOL. I just don't like the unreliability of this one. I have the option of waiting which is why I was asking about the 2022's. This truck has been paid off for a long time. My wife and I only do one car payment at a time, so I was hoping to get one soonish, since she will need another one in a couple of years

Edited by contenderv07
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, redwngr said:

I guess I don't understand the using the repair as an excuse to jump into another cycle of payments. 

Stop it with all that logic. Some people don't know what to do with their paycheck if $500-700 isn't going straight to GM Financial.

Don't tell anyone that a key to financial freedom is not having a car payment.