Tri-fold bed cover

I recently installed the BakFlip MX4. I like it a lot. It is my first bed cover so I have nothing to compare it to, but the finish is high quality. Installation was easy enough that I was able to successfully complete it in the dark by myself. It creates a pretty tight seal... we haven't had any torrential downpours since installation, but so far its keeping the water out. 

Another MX4 here and love it.  Installed one on mine and on my buddy's easy install just take your time do it right. Best thing about it is that even when full open I can still use my rear view camera as it does not block the third brake light. Very easy to remove fold it up two knobs at the front remove. All black anodized hardware.

IMG_4984.jpg

Edited by WeGone

I've always bought the Extang Solid Fold 2.0 - its different than the others because it sits on top of your bed, rather than installing rails and it being more of a flat mount.  Doesn't look as nice, but I use the bed of my truck quite a bit and was always afraid if I took my cover off and had the rails I'd break something, so that was my reasoning.  Leaks very little, but its def not 100% watertight.  I will say its one of the first 1-2 things I buy when I buy a new truck.  I love how easy it comes on and off.  Again doesn't look as sharp as the flush mounts, but that's something I never really cared about.  Install takes about 5 minutes.

I got the GM hardcover one, was an accessory on the truck when I bought it, have always been a soft rollup user.  

I like that:

I can put stuff on it because it's hard

The front 1/3 lifts up and has a lock

Doesn't sag

It's more secure than a soft rollup (never had issues in the past but this is a plus)

I don't like:

not water tight, hard rain or car wash gets water in on the rear corners

I can't fold it up against the rear window so when I need the whole bed above the cover I need to remove it, probably weighs 40lbs?

If I still had my ATV I'd have never installed this just because of how often I'd have to load up the bed over the rails but with my current use case I'm going to keep running it, I only have to pull it a half dozen times a year, I can cram everything else under it or pop the front or back 1/3.

I had intended to buy a Backflip MX, but found something a little less expensive and given its many good reviews, thought I would give it a shot.  It took about 30 minutes to install and it keeps the weather out just fine, but clearly is not as nice looking as the BF MX.  I have used my bed quite a bit since installing the Gator SFX and it is super simple to fold it up and roll it back out when I am done with hauling whatever.

https://realtruck.com/p/gator-sfx-tri-fold-tonneau-cover/v/gmc/sierra-1500/2021/

Edited by Kilgore Trout

My first tonneau on my current truck was a Rough Country hard trifold.  It was a good cover.  Very effective at keeping water out.  I liked that it was very easy to remove if I have an oversize load.  Only reason I got rid of it is because I have the GM Accessories sportbar and that got in the way of the tonneau being able to open after the first section.  Would've been the same problem with all the other tonneau cover recommended. 

Edited by Transient

I also have the Gator cover.  Very water tight, and if you put a seal on the tailgate, no water gets in.  While I agree that it doesn’t look quite as nice as the BackFlip, it blends very well on a black truck.  Doesn’t cost as much either.  Very solid cover, and took just minutes to install myself.