Tri-fold bed cover

Personally have the Undercover ArmorFlex.  I had the Uncercover Flex on my Colorado and in 5 years was pretty happy with it.  Broke one prop rod hanger and the company sent a new one no questions asked.  This Armor flex is great.  Very tough, sturdy, and NEARLY waterproof.  Easier to install and easy to remove if you need for some massive load.  Big fan.

I have the Undercover ArmorFlex on my AT4.  It's alright.  It seems a little flemsy, but it gets the job done.  I had a G4 Elite on my last truck and I liked it much better.  It was definitely stronger and I liked being able to get access to the front of the bed.  Too bad they went bankrupt.

I went cheap this time with a soft cover, but I don’t think my one complaint is unique to soft covers.  Make sure your tailgate can go down.  I have an automatic tailgate and it gets hung up on the cover seal so I have to manually pull it down.  Not a big deal in practice, but anything that doesn’t work right bugs me.

I had the Lomax in my prior truck, and liked it but the soft cover is cheaper and easier to deal with when you want to use the bed.  It just rolls up.  The Lomax had to be removed if you needed the whole bed (versus 2/3’ds).  No matter how easy it seems to remove those types of covers, stay away.  Get one that flips out of the way but doesn’t need removed.  Removal it a pain with a tri-fold/hard cover.

• Thanks 1

I have the one from GM (was installed before I bought), has been great - does allow a little water in corners in car wash, but that is it. it is pretty stiff and I have stood on it, but not near as sturdy as the Avalanche factory one was....I have had to remove it when hauly my cruiser (have short box, needed whole bed)...it was easy to take off and put back on.

On 1/21/2022 at 12:00 PM, GN2018 said:

No matter how easy it seems to remove those types of covers, stay away.  Get one that flips out of the way but doesn’t need removed.  Removal it a pain with a tri-fold/hard cover.

My MX4 once folded is a snap to remove, two thumb screws and pick it up, Its not heavy and I do myself. 

12 hours ago, WeGone said:

My MX4 once folded is a snap to remove, two thumb screws and pick it up, Its not heavy and I do myself. 

I could do mine myself too, but it’s not easy.  You still have to get it off your truck without bumping into anything painted and you have to get it down from a truck that sits up kinda high.  Then, where do you put it?  If you’re away from home and find yourself needing your entire bed, have fun.  Where are you going to put it then?  In your cab?  Careful with that leather interior.  Even at home, storing it may lead to damaging the cover.

Don't get me wrong.  The MX4 is a sweet cover.  But, if you have to remove them, they lose a little luster.  I really like my roll up cover but I’m not gonna lie - it’s not good looking.

Edited by GN2018

I know this isn't what you asked but for me, I went soft tri-fold.  Reason being is, I need to take it off fairly regularly.  The hard ones, from my experience, at a PITA to remove/install.  I can do my soft fold in about 5 minutes 

I have a semi-rigid two fold from Chevrolet for my standard bed Silverado. Can’t call it a tri fold because the last section near the cab is held in place with hand tightened screws.   Looks great. Weathertight. Light weight. Some sort of thin fiberglass under the tonnou cover. But I wouldn’t stand on it. Easy to remove. Thinking of getting a 2021/22 short bed GMC and wondering if they still have the same to fit a short bed?

14 hours ago, GN2018 said:

I could do mine myself too, but it’s not easy.  You still have to get it off your truck without bumping into anything painted and you have to get it down from a truck that sits up kinda high.  Then, where do you put it?  If you’re away from home and find yourself needing your entire bed, have fun.  Where are you going to put it then?  In your cab?  Careful with that leather interior.  Even at home, storing it may lead to damaging the cover.

Don't get me wrong.  The MX4 is a sweet cover.  But, if you have to remove them, they lose a little luster.  I really like my roll up cover but I’m not gonna lie - it’s not good looking.

Either stand it on its side edge along the side of the bed, lay it down flat in the bed, or lean it up against the front bulkhead.  Lots of possibilities, if put half a thought into it.  No need to be mellowdramatic about it. 

2 hours ago, Transient said:

Either stand it on its side edge along the side of the bed, lay it down flat in the bed, or lean it up against the front bulkhead.  Lots of possibilities, if put half a thought into it.  No need to be mellowdramatic about it. 

There’s a possibility that it can go in the bed, but the assumption is that you need the bed, otherwise you would not have taken it off.  Not sure it could go up against the bulkhead because it is wider than the bed.  Nothing mellow dramatic about it.  If you think you’re going to use your full bed often and doing so requires you to remove the cover instead of flipping it or, in the case of a soft cover, rolling it, you should consider it.  That’s all I’m saying - it’s a consideration, not a deal breaker.  However if I used my full bed often, I’d probably just go with a soft cover.

1 hour ago, GN2018 said:

There’s a possibility that it can go in the bed, but the assumption is that you need the bed, otherwise you would not have taken it off.  Not sure it could go up against the bulkhead because it is wider than the bed.  Nothing mellow dramatic about it.  If you think you’re going to use your full bed often and doing so requires you to remove the cover instead of flipping it or, in the case of a soft cover, rolling it, you should consider it.  That’s all I’m saying - it’s a consideration, not a deal breaker.  However if I used my full bed often, I’d probably just go with a soft cover.

When I had a trifold it wasn't a matter of using the whole bed.  It was a matter of need to use more than the full bed due to height.  We've all been there.  Regardless of what type of tonneau somebody gets there's always going to be a sacrifice to make. 

Ill be looking for a cover myself in a few months. Out of all the ones mentioned here, I havent seen many say if it interferes with the auto down of the tailgate. Can anyone speak to this for the models you have on your trucks?

1 hour ago, Byrds8 said:

Ill be looking for a cover myself in a few months. Out of all the ones mentioned here, I havent seen many say if it interferes with the auto down of the tailgate. Can anyone speak to this for the models you have on your trucks?

The BakFlip MX4 does NOT interfere with auto down or auto up of the tailgate.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, bdallas said:

The BakFlip MX4 does NOT interfere with auto down or auto up of the tailgate.

Awesome. Granted I do not have auto up. Hopefully it will allow the install of a TonneauMate storage box also.

Edited by Byrds8