It's been fun...

Wiggums

When seat belts came, people bitched about it.
When automatics came, people bitched about it.
When airbags came, people bitched about it.

For 2021, it's self-driving cars. I can imagine there'd be times when it's useful.

The cheapest Chevrolet Silverado 4×4 with SuperCruise is a High Country that would cost me $68,485 and it forces me to order the 6.2 V8. If I wanted a performance car, I'd get a Challenger. I just want a truck that yields decent gas mileage and the 5.3 has been fantastic, even better than the F-150 with very miniscule power loss which I am perfectly content with. One thing I didn't like was the jittery rear suspension. I didn't replace it because I was not planning on owning it much longer and didn't drive it much. It has only 13,800 kms on it.

The cheapest Ford F-150 4×4 with BlueCruise is a Lariat that would cost me $62,310. I could pick the long-bed and it'll be $63,775. Adding in the 7.2kW generator also includes the hybrid engine and the price shows $67,025 or $1,500 less than the Silverado. Can't get that option with the Silverado. My cousin plugged in a blower and got rid of the dust in his F-150 at the ranch, I thought that was nifty.

Not only that, a Ford dealership is offering 3% below invoice so that $67,025 truck with an invoice of $62,675 would come down to around $60,800. And since I have owned two F-150 4×4's from Ford, I seem to always get a $3,000 personal cash offer from Ford, so I'll be paying $57,800.

I'll still be around, providing input.

I owned a 2018 F150 with 10 speed for 2.5 years. I loved the motor but hated the Ford 10 speed.  It's jerky with a lot of noises.

If you have not owned a Ford with 10 speed than I recommend a long city test drive before buying. If you feel anything strange with the shifting during the test drive than it will likely be the same for the duration. At least that was my experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My 2019 Silverado with the eight-speed is by far the worst I've ever had. After starting it when it's cold, I must wait ten seconds then shift it to "D", otherwise, the rear tires spin and it lunges at my neighbors. Whoa, Nelly!

Before my 2019 Silverado was a 2016 F-150 which was great and never gave me problems. I want a truck that's also a generator and the new F-150 with the 7.2kW fits the bill. Saving $10,000 is a larger factor. Both the Silverado and F-150 have their pros and cons.

• Like 1

It has been my experience that you get what you pay for.  If you buy cheap you get something cheap.  Ford are #1 selling vehicle because they don't last as long, comparatively.  Take out their business/fleet sales and they get blown out of the water.  That's why Ford stopped breaking down their sales numbers, however rebranding car fleets tell all.

So, the first question comes to mind:  Why aren't you establishing your ranch as a business?  Is just a tax designation, and you could open yourself up to fleet pricing.

Furthermore, Blue Cruise and Super Cruise are in their first year, respectively.  It has always been standard operating procedure for both Ford and GM to offer the newest tech in their most expensive vehicles the first year.  Just look at the T1 trucks.  Trail Boss LT only got the 5.3 at first.  In 2020 the 6.2 was added.  Following that the 6.2 was added to the Custom Trail Boss, and the 3.0 Duramax decreased in price by $1,500.  Then the Duramax was added to the Trail Boss LT.

So, question #2:  Why not wait a year or 2 for for the newer tech to trickle down?

Finally, I've said it before, but apparently it needs repeating:  Ford owners are comparing about the 10-speed.  It shifts hard into 4th and 7th gears.  Now, the 10-speed trans in both the GMs and Ford were codeveloped by the 2 companies, however each uses their own valving.  This may be why the GM shifts so much more smoothly. 

At the end of the day, it's your money and your decision to make.  I made mine, and what anybody says is irrelevant to how you spend your money.  Whether you drive a Ford or Chevy, you commentary is always welcome.  You're a good person to hear from. 

14 minutes ago, Transient said:

At the end of the day, it's your money and your decision to make.  I made mine, and what anybody says is irrelevant to how you spend your money.  Whether you drive a Ford or Chevy, you commentary is always welcome.  You're a good person to hear from. 

Mind explaining to me why Ford has the best resale value of all trucks? By your logic, fleet sales would hurt the resale, right? I buy new pick-up trucks frequently because it holds value so well. Used to own Benz and BMW.. never again!

The ranch is owned by family, it's basically a large lot of land, we call it ranch even though we don't grow ****** there. We get our 4×4's muddy there whenever it rains. It's in Temecula where the land is cheap. Well, was cheap...

Technically, Blue Cruise and Super Cruise haven't been offered. Chevrolet hasn't even put in the package yet while Ford already did so Ford is winning in that part. Once it gets implemented, Ford is already prepared.

A year or two with the newer tech to trickle down? With the ongoing chip shortage, make that five years. Not only that, I want to lock in my rate before inflation kicks in. It's going to come in hard.

Ford owners are complaining about the 10-speed. Didn't Chevrolet owners also complain about the 8-speed? Same thing, really. And I have the 8-speed, it's horrible.

To me, Ford and Chevrolet is about the same when it comes to reliability and resale. Some years, Chevy beats Ford. Some years, Ford beats Chevy. RAM is always the last.

"You're a good person to hear from." Gosh, aren't you sweet.

Edited by Wiggums

23 minutes ago, Rob Mugs said:

I personally wouldn't buy another 5.3.  I love my 6.2

Perfectly logical explanation for that.. you don't live in a state where gas costs $4.79 a gallon!

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Dunn said:

yep, its so bad am thinking of dumping my 2500 for 1500 just to cut cost on fuel........its insane here

From what I've read, the 2022's interior is going to be a LOT nicer.. I would have gone for it if I could find 3% below invoice.

22s are awesome from what ive seen, totally happy with that.....as far as pricing when they come who friggen knows.....usually buy off the lot so will have to see.........cant find any limiteds with heated seats or wheel though my 22 2500 has them.......and not gonna pay full pop for later retro fit, plus dealers arent even hungry to sell......may be stuck for awhile

no hurry, i just cant buy a Ford so it is what it is ( personal issue)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wiggums said:

Mind explaining to me why Ford has the best resale value of all trucks? By your logic, fleet sales would hurt the resale, right? I buy new pick-up trucks frequently because it holds value so well. Used to own Benz and BMW.. never again!

The ranch is owned by family, it's basically a large lot of land, we call it ranch even though we don't grow ****** there. We get our 4×4's muddy there whenever it rains. It's in Temecula where the land is cheap. Well, was cheap...

Technically, Blue Cruise and Super Cruise haven't been offered. Chevrolet hasn't even put in the package yet while Ford already did so Ford is winning in that part. Once it gets implemented, Ford is already prepared.

A year or two with the newer tech to trickle down? With the ongoing chip shortage, make that five years. Not only that, I want to lock in my rate before inflation kicks in. It's going to come in hard.

Ford owners are complaining about the 10-speed. Didn't Chevrolet owners also complain about the 8-speed? Same thing, really. And I have the 8-speed, it's horrible.

To me, Ford and Chevrolet is about the same when it comes to reliability and resale. Some years, Chevy beats Ford. Some years, Ford beats Chevy. RAM is always the last.

"You're a good person to hear from." Gosh, aren't you sweet.

Everybody loves to argue.  Show me where I said anything about resale value.  Secondly, prove it.  I've only looked at KBB, but they say the Silverado wins in the resale pissing contest.

By admission you're a dirt farmer.  They're nothing wrong with that.  That's what I'll probably end up being.  That's still a business.  I'm familiar with Temecula.  Everybody who can't afford to live in LA and San Diego seem to be moving there.  My son is on a travel baseball team that attend many tournaments up there.  It is too be a pass-thru location for San Diegans heading north via 215.  That area is growing a lot. 

Blue Cruise v Super Cruise, my point still stands by your own admission.  It's new tech.  Whether it be 2 years or 5, that's just splitting hairs based on speculation.  I there to historical behavior to describe expected future performances. 

I'm not discussing 8-speeds.  Not only do I have zero experience, but they aren't relevant to the convo.  You brought up 10-speeds.  I responded in kind. 

When it comes to new sales numbers you're correct.  However, GM's fleet sales pricing is higher than Ford's, so Ford sells more fleet trucks.

Don't tarnish my reputation.  I'm actually an a-hole in real life.  I just try to play the nice guy on the internet.  Sometimes I fail at that, lol.