What tranny temps are you getting with the 5.3/6.2 with the 10 speed?

1 hour ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Let me save you some headache. They all run the same because they all use the same TBV pill. 

Doesnt answer my question but ok.  Wanted to know what the normal operating temps are for the tranny and what overheating temps are. 

The rule of thumb is less than 230°F after that you are usually start cooking the trans fluid. 

Now there are trans fluid that will go over that temp and be fine and there are other (usually older) trans fluid that will be cooking before 230°F. I am not particularly sure about the 10-speed fluid. 

If I am not mistaken, 185 F is the operating temperature of the transmission.  For those of you below 150, I wonder if your transmission has had time to fully come up to operating temperature.  Mine will get to 185 but I will need to be driving on the highway for 20-30 minutes for it to do it.  

From another site with interesting data.  This is from a 2009, but basic transmission design remains the same with similar operating parameters

"In the February 2011 issue of Trailer Life magazine RV Clinic in response to a reader about the maximum transmission temperature allowed in a 2009 Chevy Silverado, the Tech Team had this response.

“General Motors’ in-house towing team expert provided RV Clinic with this statement: The maximum allowable automatic transmission fluid temperature is dictated by the transmission oil itself. The oil begins to degrade significantly above 270 degrees Fahrenheit, so we design vehicles so that in all but the most extreme conditions, the fluid temperature in the transmission sump stays below 270 degrees F.

We allow for up to 285 degrees F in extreme conditions (i.e. towing a trailer with combination loaded at GCWR in Death Valley). But for customer usage anywhere else in the country, even at GCWR, transmission sump temperature should stay well below 270 degrees F. Above this point, certain internal components, such as seals, begin to disintegrate rather quickly. Although newer synthetic fluids can withstand higher temperatures we still recommend this (270F) as a maximum temperature. "

• Like 1

Mine is a 3.0 / 10 speed.

It always runs at 180 / 185 when running rural 2 lane -- but it takes a long time to get there. 

Lots or shorter trips will not reach that temp.  Once it gets to that range it can run for hours and not change. 

Low ambient temps just means it takes longer to get to that range.

I'd expect that those seeing 150 temps will get up to 180/185 if drive time/mileage is long enough. 

I have had higher temps when towing with lots of stops and starts.

Of course low speed also means less air flow thru the cooler. 

Todays trucks have computer monitoring all sensors.

It's gonna advise if there is a problem. 

Of course tuned / modified and all bets are off.

Edited by redwngr
  • Like 1

Agree with redwngr and have the same drivetrain other than mine is a '20 AT4. Seeing the same temp other than when towing as it runs a little higher around 200-210f range during the summer from what I remember hauling my pontoon on expressway. 

-Grover67

1 hour ago, redwngr said:

It always runs at 180 / 185 when running rural 2 lane -- but it takes a long time to get there. 

Lots or shorter trips will not reach that temp.  Once it gets to that range it can run for hours and not change. 

Low ambient temps just means it takes longer to get to that range.

I'd expect that those seeing 150 temps will get up to 180/185 if drive time/mileage is long enough. 

Same as mine.

3 hours ago, Gangly said:

"In the February 2011 issue of Trailer Life magazine RV Clinic in response to a reader about the maximum transmission temperature allowed in a 2009 Chevy Silverado, the Tech Team had this response.

“General Motors’ in-house towing team expert provided RV Clinic with this statement: The maximum allowable automatic transmission fluid temperature is dictated by the transmission oil itself. The oil begins to degrade significantly above 270 degrees Fahrenheit, so we design vehicles so that in all but the most extreme conditions, the fluid temperature in the transmission sump stays below 270 degrees F.

We allow for up to 285 degrees F in extreme conditions (i.e. towing a trailer with combination loaded at GCWR in Death Valley). But for customer usage anywhere else in the country, even at GCWR, transmission sump temperature should stay well below 270 degrees F. Above this point, certain internal components, such as seals, begin to disintegrate rather quickly. Although newer synthetic fluids can withstand higher temperatures we still recommend this (270F) as a maximum temperature. "

Lot's of WE and ALLOW.

And how did that work out for their customers? 

:crackup:

TSB GM 21-NA-199

You can turn sugar into carbon with a 2000 F torch on contact. 

You can turn sugar into carbon under a 500F broiler in about 2 minutes. 

You can do the same thing on a stove top at 212 F. Just takes longer. 

At room temp it's sugar forever. Or until the ants eat it. 

These guys are telling you what it will take under the broiler.

:idiot:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Lot's of WE and ALLOW.

And how did that work out for their customers? 

:crackup:

TSB GM 21-NA-199

You can turn sugar into carbon with a 2000 F torch on contact. 

You can turn sugar into carbon under a 500F broiler in about 2 minutes. 

You can do the same thing on a stove top at 212 F. Just takes longer. 

At room temp it's sugar forever. Or until the ants eat it. 

These guys are telling you what it will take under the broiler.

:idiot:

Agreed.  There is planned obsolescence in every mass produced, manufactured item.  GM is just telling you the parameters they shoot for in the design so that it will last long enough to where they don't have to cover it under warranty. :)

Edited by Gangly
  • Thanks 1