what engine you chose   

233 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 2 months later...

I went with the 3.0. There were a few reasons. 1 being i had been driving a 2019 with the 5.3 and really didn't care for it.  it was also a 6 speed. This was a company work vehicle and we had about 6 of these.  My engine was replaced under warranty(56,000 miles) as well as the tranny(15000 miles). A few of the other trucks in our fleet as well had the top ends rebuilt under warranty. Also it never felt smooth when shifting   When it came time to buy myself a new vehicle it wasn't going to be the 5.3. January of 2022 found mine on the lot (no 6.2 available) and made a deal for $8k under MSRP. I couldn't turn down that for the 3.0. 2077953797_Trucknewwheels.thumb.jpg.2c7ffa2a4a8ba44f93a8fd68161179bc.jpg

Edited by John F.
  • Like 2

6.2l for mine. Choice was 3.0 diesel or the 6.2l for my model. I swore off diesels 3 trucks ago. Just hated having to put on a glove and trying to avoid all the slopped diesel on the ground I hated smelling like a diesel tech after fillups. 

• 2 weeks later...

I chose the 6.2 for my 2022 RST Z71 refresh truck, and I literally bought it about two weeks ago.  I never post much but I joined this site right after I bought a brand new 2017 LT Z71 w/5.3 6 spd.  FFW to March 2019 I traded in on a new LTZ 6.2 Z71.  Holy crap no more sluggish driving and shifts (and way better power).  The 2017 5.3 6 speed never seemed to know what gear to be in going up the hill to my house and 19 6.2 10 speed solved the issues.  I have never driven a 5.3 with the 10 speed and I'm sure it's a fine engine though.  FFW to June of 2021 and I decided to upgrade to the latest Ford F150 with the Powerboost drivetrain in a Lariat high trim (74K almost with a spray in Rhino liner).  You can't go wrong with 430 HP and 570 FT LBS of torque, right?!?  I have had many Ford trucks and cars (loved most) in my life over 53 plus years and have to say this was the WORST experience with a vehicle I have ever had.  I totally never got what I paid for in this "job 1 truck" bluecruise never worked, added gremlins from not updating, scored driveshaft from insulation rub, loudest rapping noise you've ever heard from the transmission on a cold start under a certain cold temp, and fords inability to ever solve any of the issues.  Being back in this refreshed 6.2 glacier blue metallic RST is like a breath of fresh air!  Here comes the Borla exhaust again and great sound!!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I first settled for a 2.7T in a '23 LT. But after having it for awhile, and developing a leak around the oil pan I ponied up more cash and traded it in on a '23 5.3L LT. Never really wanted a 4 cyl. and definitely didn't want a turbo but it was all I could find at the time. I have to say though that the "little 4 banger" acquitted itself very well. I would never have guessed 50 years ago in my youth that a motor that small could beat an 8 cylinder in any car, let alone in a 5K lb. truck.

Today's technology is truly amazing. I think my 5.3 drives better than the 2.7 but not by much, and is definitely aided by the 10sp. tranny. The gearing in this tranny makes up for the higher torque in the 2.7 as well as the taller gears in the 5.3. Or maybe it's just that I feel right, and back at home in a V8. I've seen that the 2.7 will beat the 5.3 in 0-60 times but only by a few tenths. GM has done themselves proud with all of these motors I think.

• Like 1

5.3 in my new Trail Boss. I would love a 6.2 but with gas at $4.09 a gallon for regular today I dont want to spend all of my money on premium fuel. My 2021 TB Custom was a great truck but the 5.3 with the 6 speed never felt "strong" mushy shifting and the tranny never felt hooked into gear. Before anyone corrects me I will state that  I could not order the 2023 Custom Trail Boss wth the 6.2. This new 5.3/10 speed combo is amazng! Feels like much more power. I am sure the extra gears just keep the engine in the powerband better. I just got it piped so I am sure it will even get better.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Bikerjon said:

Before anyone corrects me I will state that  I could not order the 2023 Custom Trail Boss wth the 6.2.

Yeah they dropped the 6.2 in the Custom in 22. I'm not sure if it was available in the pre refresh trucks or not. For sure was not available on the refresh trucks. The 4.3 was dropped as the base engine and the 2.7 turbo was made the base engine. I'm glad I was able to order my 21 Custom with the 6.2 10 speed vs the 5.3 6 speed.

9 hours ago, MrMagloo said:

I have to admit that I'm pretty amazed with the economy of this 3.0L LZO, even with the Max Tow 3.73's.  And it's pretty quick too.  Not unusual at all seeing 30+ MPG averages on the highway, which is remarkable.

If it weren't for the ever increasing sticker price and now double or more interest rate, I'd trade my 21 Trail Boss with the 6.2 for the diesel. I'm averaging 15mpg and best mpg ever was 20.5.

I'm impressed with the 6.2. Getting 20 -21 highway on reasonably flat roads. Way better than the 16 -18 my old '11 5.3 Tahoe got on the same roads not to mention the big power difference. When shopping the EPA fuel estimates on the window stickers were the same for the 5.3 and the 6.2. Yeah premium recommended in the 6.2, I alternate between regular and premium with 1/2 tank fills. Premium only when towing. The power that is on tap with the 6.2 makes the premium penalty worth it for me.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/21/2022 at 7:02 AM, TNTSilverado said:

You stated before the truck was sluggish?? How can a truck be sluggish when it performs was well as a MUSCLE car did 15-20 years ago and it’s not even a performance oriented truck!!!   0-60 times do tell how well a truck performs. Yes, the new 2.7L does offer excellent torque, but it is also down on HP compared to the 5.3L.

And the fact you compared it to a Furd 4.6L in a truck was laughable. I could almost get out and run faster than both the 4.6 or boat anchor 5.4L.  Hell my dad still has an 09 F150 with 5.4L and that turd can’t even turn over the tires. 

Now, I can totally agree with you that GM FUBR’d the T1 by neglecting their two V8s. Totally frustrating, (especially for me, because I love fast things) there is no reason the 5.3L couldn’t be pushing 380-400 HP with 430ish TQ.  Along with the 6.2L over 450 HP and 500 TQ.   Especially when both V8s get as good and even better than the Ecobust out there by Ford and the new Tundra isn’t passing up any gas stations with their new turbo motor. 

What people don’t realize is small displacement motors are great for putzing around town, but the minute you work them their MPGs go down the drain, like the Alzheimer’s Patient’s “IQ” we have in DC 

There is so much more hidden hp and torque in the 5.3 And even the 6.2. To build these engine or do moderate add ons toward increasing the hp and torque is incredible. The 2.7T is just about as maxed as it can be and still be useful and reliable for 150k miles. If this is about ultimate power and torque then up would see these variants of 4 cylinders being used In top fuel drag car. But instead what they use is v8. The statement that the 5.3 is a “outdated dinosaur “ is very untrue. It is great overall reliable compromise between fuel economy, which is a huge determining factor in the light duty truck industry, and v8 power that people enjoy because of the power! There is a place for the 5.3 v8 in this market. 

Edited by Mshawn
  • Like 1

On 4/26/2022 at 8:34 PM, Samthebam said:

Bought my Dec.’19 manufactured 2019 in March of 20 during the onset of Covid with the 5.3 6-speed.  It has the max trailering package which gave me 3.73 rear gears in the bigger rear end housing, the rear locking differential, slightly lower stance and stiffer spring rates.
I’ve been very pleased with the power, overall mpg - about 18.5 - and the torque. The rear gearing helps quite a bit.

And I have used regular fuel during all of its just over 20k miles.

Great, great truck.  The max trailering with the lower gears just works.3214EB7A-FB65-472C-A7F5-3BFF71EE5776.thumb.jpeg.ee4ee3d0404d2ced6a7f575cdd9c8aaf.jpeg

this truck is beautiful! Need to get rid of that “volunteer” symbol and add a Razorback!!!!!!! JK!!! beautiful truck!

Had a 2004 with 5.3, traded for a 2007 with 5.3, gave that to my brother and got a 2018 with 5.3.  Hated the 6 speed in the 2018 and the feeling of getting hit from behind every time I came to a stop.  Traded that for the 3.0l with 10 speed.  What a combination.  From 325 miles a tank to 607 miles on my last tank before the low gas light came on.  I am keeping this truck for a long time like I did with the 2007.  My brother still has it and running great at 315K miles.  He had to replace the bed as it rusted out, that it other than routine maintenance.

Edited by slimjim2525