Are you still using premium gas?

1 hour ago, TxTruckMan said:

If you can't afford the premium gas, you shouldn't be driving a truck with a premium engine.  Sell it and buy a Prius.

You assume you have WAY more power and influence than you really have. 

You believe you have the power to determine what others DESERVE? 

I suppose 🤔 if someone is weak enough to give it to you.

:idiot:

Really? 

:crackup:

On 6/16/2022 at 5:04 PM, Black02Silverado said:

GM and all the other manufactures should just make every ICE vehicle a flex fuel and let us decide if we want to us it or not.  I know it isn't available everywhere. 

In modern times, GM introduced a FlexFuel engine in the GMT800s and then really expanded their availability in 2007 and by 2010 all of the trucks were FlexFuel capable.  

In order to incentivize the automakers, Uncle Sam gave the FlexFuel Chevy Suburban a 59 MPG rating for CAFE standard purposes.  By 2016 those incentives sunset and so did GM offering it.  I see Ferds and Dodges pumping E85 but am not really up on how new they are.

Ethanol is good for motors but not for our food prices, if they made it from switch grass or something, nah, still cost too much and take away resources from food production.  At least, that's the view from my arm chair! LOL

I'll keep using it until it goes away or is too costly to burn.

• Like 3

My 2 cents.   Every one of the modern DI  V8 engines discussed here will build carbon deposits and that deposit holds heat. That deposit is not uniform in high heat deposits zones.  The heating will not be uniform.  Thats a big problem in short miles and time frames. 

For the folks that run regular or lower octane than optimum  IF YOU KEEP CLEAN, STAY CLEAN, and not go to limits of engine capability you most likely are safe......."most likely" because you will be retarding timing to the point you will flow more carbon and carbon forming deposits in that timing and fueling realm.  Increasing deposits potential.  If you get the deposits that inevitably form you are rolling the dice. 

I have run high quality additives from CENEX using 85 octane in a L3B 2.7 Turbo Trail Boss at 8000-9000' msl..... but its clean burning, runs easy, uses best available engine oils and air filter is changed early to flow more air for cooling and efficiency.

On my recent 3,469 mile trip I ran 87 octane most of the time and used best fuels I could but it was stressed at high speeds into high winds. I would NOT have run 85 octane at lower elevations but the turbo and DI with computer control makes altitude not so much a help anymore.  So even your naturally aspirated computer controlled DI V8 will counter the altitude benefit.  

Point is in a well maintained engine with 87 octane that has polymeric additives that provide cleaning and lubricity ( that cools too) you MIGHT be fine. I think that is what Swathdiver is getting at.  We all know that most of us don't have a perfect ring seal and perfect operational situation babying a 6.2L V8 at 45 mph all the time with no stress on engine.  

The fuel, timing, cam phasing mapping by design to protect against detonation of ANYKIND does not compensate very well for deposits that WILL FORM IN A DI ENGINE.    The whole low speed pre ignition LSPI  that every major oil maker reformulated for a few years ago is because the OEM's blamed the engine oil when it's really the crap fuels and over active EGR cycles to meet tail pipe emissions. 

Good luck out there.  

• Like 3

On 6/17/2022 at 11:45 AM, Grumpy Bear said:

You assume you have WAY more power and influence than you really have. 

You believe you have the power to determine what others DESERVE? 

I suppose 🤔 if someone is weak enough to give it to you.

:idiot:

Really? 

:crackup:

I'm not really sure what your post means, but I stand by my statement.  If you bought the premium engine and can't afford the premium gas, then you shouldn't have bought the premium engine.  Not "knowing" that gas would go up is a stupid excuse as well.  Why would you not think or plan for gas prices to go up?  If you can't afford a slight increase in gas prices, then you need a to drive something more affordable.  Too many people over-extend their credit and buy stuff they can't afford.  It's a shame.  Buy smarter and save some money for the hard times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Everyone believes prices go up, its normal. However, no one thinks prices are going to double in such a short time. Just because you can write off infinite price increases for it doesn't mean everyone can. A lot of people also cannot just afford to absorb how much all prices to include gas has gone up in such a short time.

• Like 2

Premium gas in the 6.2L  oh yeah, first choice Shell, 2nd, Costco, 3rd any Top Tier Fuel I can find.

So not sure if anyone else has noticed, couple of weeks ago coming from PA back to MD I was getting 28mpg at 60mph, a bit less at 70mph.

Maybe there was a tailwind, or it's downhill all the way 

IMG.jpg

• Like 3

18 hours ago, shakenfake said:

Shell is some of the worst, try Exxon

sign0153.gif

Edit.

I have been using Shell for 6 years because of our location, no problems.

Edited by diyer2

Sam's Club gas is fine by me these days. One of our major regional chains (Kwik Trip) dropped Top Tier. So did Mobil a year or two back. I used Top Tier when it was convenient, but it's just not worth chasing after anymore.

Cost wise, if it was between Top Tier 87, or cheap 93 from a busy station, I'd take the higher octane every time on a 6.2.