Differences on new 22 refresh AT4 vs 2020 AT4

I've had my new 22 refresh AT4 diesel for a couple hundred miles and thought I'd post the few things I've noticed different about it versus my previous 2020 AT4 diesel. These are things I've noticed different before I get too used to them and forget what the old truck was like! The two trucks are optioned nearly the same (CarbonPro, 3.0, same options) except the wheels/tires. The 22 has 18" Duratrac MT and the 2020 had 20" GY Trailrunner AT.

1. The 22 is missing the passive door lock/unlock buttons on the exterior rear door handles. I assume this is due to the chip/parts shortage but still find it odd. Wish they had them - I find it useful in parking lots when I want to put something in the back seat first.

2. The 22 has chrome exhaust outlet trim surround where the 2020 AT4 CarbonPro had matte black trim. I prefer the matte black. 

3. The 22 seems to have less noise in the cab, like it has more sound insulation. 

4. The 22 Bose stereo sounds a little better than the 2020 Bose

5. I am getting better MPG in the same drive cycle in the 22 than the 2020. It is still new so not enough miles to really know if there is a difference yet.

6. The transmission seems to shift slightly smoother in the 22 and seems to hold gears more before downshifting versus the 2020. Small but noticeable difference. Might be the trans still learning since it is still new, but I like the 22 better so far. 

7. The 2020 AT4 had a sport mode, the 22 does not. 

8. The 2020 AT4 temp gauge would move up above 210 sometimes as the computer was controlling water temp to various parts of the engine. This freaked some people out when the 3.0 diesel came out but it is normal operation. I have not seen the 22 temp gauge fluctuate the same way. I bet GM masked that so not to worry people that it is overheating.

9. The 22 diesel has a slightly longer crank time than my 2020 diesel. My 2020 never suffered from the crank but no start issue, so I never had it flashed. I understand the revised programming lengthened the crank time slightly. Small but noticeable. I prefer the 2020.

10. The 22 auto-start/stop is less aggressive than the 2020. The 20 would stop the engine much more often. 

11. The center console in the 22 seems smaller than the 20 even though they look like they are the same size. Maybe I just don't have my stuff organized yet!

12. The 22 has the button for all 4 windows down at the same time, the 2020 did not. I like that, but wish I could push it up to roll them all up too. 

Of course, the 22 interior and tech is vastly improved. That makes it feel like an entirely different truck to me. My old 2020 was the best truck I've ever owned and so far I like the 22 even more. The only thing I might do different is skip the 18" Duratracs - they are already noisier than I like and I don't need the aggressive off-road tire. That's a relatively easy fix with some different tires though. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, 6sigma said:

1. The 22 is missing the passive door lock/unlock buttons on the exterior rear door handles. I assume this is due to the chip/parts shortage but still find it odd. Wish they had them - I find it useful in parking lots when I want to put something in the back seat first.

It's not. It's simply a cost-cutting measure. The 2019 Silverados had the buttons on all four handles, they were deleted for 2020. Well before any of the chip shortage/supply chain issues started. Us GMC guys were lucky enough to keep them through the '22 LTD, but now our time has come. :(

Thanks for the write up.  Is there rear window the same crappy design that is guaranteed to leak eventually?  Hard to believe GM let that go on more than one year, let alone 6 years when this design (normally) runs its course.

Edited by cltsig

Thanks for the write up OP. I've got a 20' AT4 3.0 CP truck just like the one you got rid of.

I have to agree with you on the black matte exhaust surrounds and the 20 CP gray wheels.

I think I like the front end better on mine vs. the refreshed model as well.

The interior though is no contest. They really did a fantastic job on the new trucks.

Enjoy the new truck! And maybe post a few pics too.

1. Simple cost cutting measure by GM. They did it on the Silverado's in 2020.

2. You can buy the black tips from GM or have your chrome ones powder coated.

3. Agreed. I had a 2020 Silverado RST, a 2021 GMC AT4, and now the refresh 2022 Silverado LTZ. The GMC AT4 had less cab noise than the 2020 Silverado, but the 2022 LTZ has even less than the AT4. I think my reduction in noise may be due to the AT4 had the 20" mud tires and not the all-terrain tires. The 2022 does seem to have less noise than the 2020 though.

4. The Bose does sound good in the 2022, but I can't for the life of me find the speed adjusted volume setting. I do think the bass in the 2021 AT4 hit a little harder than the 2022.

5. All 3 of mine were the 3.0. The 2020 RST averaged 25 mpg in the city and 29-30 on the highway (it had the 18" wheels and 31" tires). The 2021 AT4 did the worse, obviously, but still got in the 20-25 range consistently. The 2022 LTZ has only been on 1 trip in the 2,8xx miles it has on it. It did very well averaging 27. The 2021 AT4 and the 2022 LTZ have both had the S&B intake and the PPE turbo resonator delete on them.

6. I feel the same way about the 2022 transmission. It does seem to hold gears longer and seems to shift a tad harder than the other 2 trucks.

7. My 2021 AT4 had Sport Mode (built in August 2021), but I saw that the later built AT4's didn't have Sport Mode.

8. The temp gauge on the dash is really just a dummy gauge. They haven't been accurate since the mid-90's.

9. The longer crank is the "fix" for the crank no start issues that plagued the 2021+ models. My 2022 LTZ does the same thing. That was the first thing I noticed when I drove the 2022.

10. Get the Autostop Eliminator (https://www.autostopeliminator.com/collections/gm/products/2019-silverado-sierra-autostop-eliminator). It is worth it. I don't like the Start/Stop on any vehicle. 

11. The storage compartment in the center console is smaller than the pre-refresh trucks. The console itself is the same physical size.

12. This was on some of the 2022 models. It seems like it is hit or miss for when GM puts this in the trucks. You can also roll all the windows down by holding down the unlock button on the key fob, if you've turned it on in the settings, even if you don't have the button on the dash.

The only thing that some people have a problem with in the refresh interior is it does require the data plan to have the built in Google Maps operate. That doesn't bother me as I do pay for the data plan.

The only complaint I have with my 2022 LTZ refresh is the wheels. I like the polished LTZ wheels on the 2019-2022 LTD's. The wheels now look almost exactly like the Custom 20" wheels. I'm hoping to find a set of 2019-2021 LTZ wheels that are polished to swap out, as long as they are not that expensive.

Edited by mjonesjr84